Thread: [WIP] Game for PC & PSP... Possibly More

Cool [WIP] Game for PC & PSP... Possibly More

So I was bored and decided to update you all on what I have been up to since I released V5.2 of Wolf 3D ...

I still don't want to divulge on it too much, but will post about the technical side for now.

So for the last few days I have been working on a Scrolling Tile Map for the game, don't take it that it has taken me 48 hours mind Because it hasn't.

Whilst not fully finished yet, it works and I am happy with it's performance.

In the coming days I will be adding multiple layer support and collision to it, then all I have to do really is implement some of my story, add <insert spoiler here>, tie it all together and I should finally be in a position to release that demo I keep harping on about

Points Of Interest :

Q : Why bother with a demo ? Just finish it.

A : Unfortunately I wasn't blessed with the gift of designing graphics, sound effects aren't exactly my forte either. So I am hoping, if my demo impresses people as much as I hope it will, that a few people (sound, graphics artists and testers) will hop aboard my team (which is just me at present).

Q : Why won't you just tell us what the damn game is about ?

A : I have learned from this mistake in the past. It is so easy to promise the world to you all, then me turn around and get bored with making it, get stuck or whatever else. It is much better for me to release info as and when it's done, as opposed to gloating about "future" features that may never even happen.

Q : Comon' just a little hint....

A : Ok. It is one of the most sort after homebrew game types on the PSP. Take that as you will.

Q : What is the ETA for the demo?

A : To be honest I really don't know. Some weeks I fly though every target I set myself. Others I barley scratch the surface. Due to this I would rather not say, but if everything goes to schedule .... possibly the middle of December.

Q : Will it just be PSP & PC ? Or will more platforms be supported?

A : Initially I would say yes. However, the game is using the SDL Api for input, audio & graphics so It will be very portable, especially given that portability is one of the key things I am striving for with my code design. This of course adds more time to complete the project, but it will be worth it.

Q : What language is this coded in?

A : It is coded in C.

Q : How long have you been working on this so far?

A : Ermm.... since the middle of September I think.

So that's it I will post updates here too. Any questions feel free to ask
    My Business (Games, Apps & More):

Gremlin Interactive

Update :

Completely rewrote the animation function.

Before it used individual sprite images and was approximately 250 lines.

New code uses sprite sheets and is approximately 97 lines. It also has a lot smoother animation.

Next job will be to completely rewrite the scrolling tilemap, again using tilesheets as opposed to individual images.

Progress is slow due to me moving into my own apartment and working 6 days a week up to Christmas, but I promise I will keep posting status updates about it, and when I deem it ready I will post a demo release.

When I say demo release, I don't mean you just walking around a empty tilemap with no characters or anything. It will be the first chapter of the game. So it will be fully featured and show off the games potential.

Thanks
    My Business (Games, Apps & More):

Gremlin Interactive

Thread Information