Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The DCEmu Interview - Question 28 - Which is Best for Homebrew, Handheld or Console ?

Blog Entries

Home/News The DCEmu Interview - Question 28 - Which is Best for Homebrew, Handheld or Console ?

A feature i did a few years ago and one im going to repeat now is the DCEmu Interview, a unique idea in which questions are asked by me to the Whole DCEmu Community its a way to learn more about each others and find out what our interests are and much more

Todays Question is Which is Best for Homebrew, Handheld or Console ? Tell us Which and Why
    Give your Answer via Comments.

We want your DCEmu Interview Questions, Post any good questions Here

Remember to check out our DCEmu Interview Site to catch up on previous DCEmu Interview Questions

The DCEmu Interview - Question 1 - What Consoles Do You Own ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 2 - Whats Your Favourite Console Of All Time
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 3 - Whats Your New Years Resolution ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 4 - What Got you Interested in Homebrew/Emulation ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 5 - Whats the greatest Game Ever ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 6 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Console?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 7 - Whats the Greatest Homebrew Handheld?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 8 - Whos the Greatest Homebrew Hacker/Coder and Why ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 9 - Whats the Greatest Emulator Released?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 10 - What Game(S) Would you like to see Remade ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 11 - Whats the Greatest Platform Game Released ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 12 - Whats the Greatest FPS Game Released ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 13 - Whats the Greatest Sports Game Released ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 14 - How Excited Are You In Todays Homebrew Scene ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 15 - Whats the Greatest RTS Game Released ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 16 - What Would Make the Perfect Homebrew Console ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 17 - What Are the Best/Worst Online Games Shops?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 18 - Name all the Consoles You have done Homebrew On ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 19 - What Emulators are the Best In the Console Scene
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 20 - Whats The Best Gamepad/Controller Ever ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 21 - How Would You Improve the Homebrew Scene ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 22 - What Do You Want Off Santa For Xmas ?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 23 - What Was The First Game You Beat?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 24 - Whats Your Longest Gaming time in One Session?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 25 - What Screen do you use for gaming?
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 26 - Whats The Longest You Have Spent Playing One Game
    The DCEmu Interview - Question 27 - Whats The Worst Console/Computer You Have Owned?

Blog Entries

Hmm owning all the consoles i do i would say that Handhelds beat Consoles anytime of day, obviously consoles are more powerful but for sheer ease you cant beat an handheld

DCEmu Legend

Well, relating strictly to the emulation side of homebrew, I'd have to say that a handheld beats out a console. The PSP is ideal because it can emulate so much so nicely thanks to the work of a lot of coders.

The PSP also still has some untapped potential that hopefully with time will bring even more emulation greatness.

Handheld wise it was to be the PSP, so powerful yet so flexible.

Console wise it has to be the dreamcast because of the wide range of homebrew apps and games, although the original Xbox is not too far behind the best console spot, if I am not mistaken.

With custom firmware, the psp rules the portable homebrew and emulation side of things. Its being a main-stream console, boasting an impressive non-umd/non-internet battery life at a lower brightness setting, twin 333Mhz processors, the ability to increase memory to unreasonable proportions via memory sticks, and an official emulator of the PSX, not to mention the impressive screen quality, it gives coders and users alike plenty of flexibility. Even now, most psp coders have yet to tap the full potential of dual-core processing, leaving room for improvement.

As far as emulation on the psp goes, there's currently options for just about everything the psp would be able to run, and then some. Homebrew applications have been most impressive, as well; I'm particularly fond of the LightMP3 player, PSPTube, the Sleep 'n 'Wake alarm clock, PSPRevolution, and the PSP XTI calculator.

The Dreamcast, with its complete lack of security, not to mention the impressive official Dreamcast games library (incentive to get one in the first place), is likely the most effective for console homebrew and emulation, as the door is open for everyone, and many people still own one to this day. Admittedly, the X-Box packs more power, but it has risks and expenses attached to it.
    Last edited by Auriman1; December 7th, 2008 at 21:20.

for me, the console is the best for homebrew, although portability is always nice. The stuff coming out for the wii recently has rejuvenated homebrew for me (the only real reason to play the wii). The "Homebrew Channel" for the wii is amazing and keeps things very organized. I've had several handhelds in the past that I've run homebrew on and ultimately, the lack of processing power restricts what can be emulated.

Xbox!!!!!!!!!

I have a pc connected to my tv with an xbox controller connected with all my emulator games on harddrive... So for me there's no point in console homebrew, But my psp's packed solid with homebrew, and is the perfect place for it

well.... lets see....

xbox i think takes the cake on homebrew wise for home consoles due to its homebrew library... just wished it didnt use the official sdk.

handheld console wise? no doubt the psp is on top of it

its really hard to say which one is better....because imo both are ( imo ) pretty much equal.

also it comes down to the "gamer". if the person is more of a home based console player he is ofcourse gonna say "console is best!!!" and if a person is more of a handheld player he will think that handhelds are the best.... atleast that is how i look at it

imo... handheld homebrew ( psp ) is the best... mainly because of the "taking the emulation on the go" factor and that it does a pretty good job of keeping you entertained in the media department.

Thanks for Everything,
    PSPdemon
    404 Error: This signature is missing!

It has to be handheld

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information