Thread: ELSPA in fresh swoops on pirates

General games ELSPA in fresh swoops on pirates

via Computer and Video Games

You've got to love ELSPA. Not content with recently getting the 'boob job pirate' put behind bars, the publisher association has confirmed its latest victory - busting a massive games copying factory in the West Midlands.

According to the organisation, it was a £1 million racket, from which 30,000 illegally copied games, films and music DVDs were seized in a recent raid.

Slightly less impressive sounding, West Midlands police and members of Sandwell Council's Trading Standards Department also stormed "a market stall and a residential property" as part of the swoop.

Seven computers attached to 35 DVD re-writers, three printers, 19 hard drives, 15 Xbox 360s, two Wiis and a number of circumvention devices for chipping consoles were recovered alongside the pirated games and movies. We think ELSPA could've been more specific with that list.

"Piracy, like that of any other entertainment industry, costs us dear," said John Hillier, who heads up ELSPA's crime unit. "When a pirate sells illegally copied games they undermine the viability, value and creativity of our industry. The worst-case scenario is that pirate activity could cost the jobs of some of the UK's outstanding creative talent and that would be a catastrophe."

ELSPA advised punters to avoid dodgy games and hardware by sticking to reputable dealers in the run up to Christmas, before sending out a chilling message to pirates still operating under the radar.

"Anyone in Sandwell who is either trading in counterfeit goods, or even thinking of doing so, should beware - you could be next to receive an early morning call," said Sandwell Council's Deputy Trading Standards manager Bob Charnley in no uncertain terms.

Another textbook pirate bust there. Well done.

Stupid people.without piracy videogaming will be decreased more than half worldwide,people cant afford buying games with ridiculous expensive prices...piracy was and will be always there,piracy is our savior,our Robin Hood!

Quote Originally Posted by kojiro7 View Post
    Stupid people.without piracy videogaming will be decreased more than half worldwide,people cant afford buying games with ridiculous expensive prices...piracy was and will be always there,piracy is our savior,our Robin Hood!
    Hmmm.....people who can't afford games should just wait till they're in a position to afford them!!

'Oh my god, Fifa 09 was released but I can't afford it'. Well just because you can't kick a virtual ball about a virtual field on release date, isn't gonna kill ya. Try playing footie in the real world, y'know outside? The place beyond your bedroom door?? People who pirate games and use such an excuse, sicken me

peace
    Last edited by Sketchy; December 11th, 2008 at 00:14.

Profiting off of someone else's work is bad. Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Hmmm.....people who can't afford games should just wait till they're in a position to afford them!!
    totally agree, and totally in that position, and yep still living just fine

Quote Originally Posted by kojiro7 View Post
    I lol'd. Last time I checked, Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor. Last time I checked, video games don't pay bills the same as money does.

There are plenty of things I can't afford that I don't need. Do you suggest I steal them? Better watch out or something of yours could be next.

I'm not going to lie and say i won't buy pirated games, My problem is not knowing where the money's going if i buy from markets etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Bingo. For PC games, I always track down a no-CD crack or similar... but that's because I have small kids at my house, and they can be murder on unprotected discs. But all the games I play are paid for.

Well we are from different countries,we have different cultures and opinions .Some countries like mine cant survive playing videogames without piracy

Thread Information