Thread: Nintendo faces class-action lawsuit, hotter-than-ever sales for Wii

Blog Entries

Rev Nintendo faces class-action lawsuit, hotter-than-ever sales for Wii

Nintendo's fended off class-action lawsuits over "defective" Wiimote straps in the past, and if you remember, they also replaced about 3.2 million of the straps (a/k/a "all of them") around the same time too -- way back in December of 2006. Well, the same lawyer's back for round two with a new, nearly identical suit, but this one also alleges that Nintendo knew that the defect existed and was negligent in their failure to report the problem to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Nintendo's probably not stoked about the news -- but we've got a feeling that the company's record-breaking sales will balm the wounds a little. According to NPD data just released, the company sold 2 million Wiis and 1.56 million DS units in November, an all-time hardware sales record for a month other than December. Yeah, who cares about a few busted up TVs and black eyes in the face of those numbers?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/12/n...ver-sales-for/

My god, this lawyer really is determined to get some of Nintendo's cash, isn't he? How pathetic that he could get enough people to go along to present a class action.

Why not file suit against every other maker of remote-controlled devices for not including straps in the first place? I certainly wouldn't regard the wiimote wrist-strap as a necessary health-and-safety feature any more than I would consider a wrist-strap for a mobile phone or a camera...

Thread Information