Thread: New to DC Homebrew, have some questions.

DCEmu Newbie

Default New to DC Homebrew, have some questions.

hi, im completely new to the dreamcast scene. i have been around in the xbox scene for a while now as well as the s60 and gba. even though these platforms are newer and are still recieving commercial support i was quick to notice the largest console homebrew scene ever... Dreamcast. well i have just ordered mine ($20) from ebgames.com and plan on checking out all of these cool homebrew games when i get it.
    my question is what is the most complete games? i noticed beats of rage (i got this on my xbox) and feet of fury. are there any more games you could recommend?
    is this scene legal? unlike the most part of the xbox scene.
    does it seem to be slowing down, or still kickin?

Default Re: New to DC Homebrew, have some questions.

Welcome to the Dreamcast community foog!

To answer some of your questions:
    for $20 you'll find you've got yourself a bargain, commercial games for the DC are dirt cheap unless you want to go for imports, you don't need to modify your DC to play homebrew software and a pack of CDR's will cost you next to nothing to try out the free stuff on offer. The Dreamcast software available was created legally from independant dev kits, the scene itself goes through patches where everything goes quiet, then all of a sudden there's loads of new stuff released, check around the forum here for some info about what's new and old.

As a starting point, if you want to try out a small selection of pre-made CD images to burn and play straight away check here:
    http://www.dcevolution.netfirms.com/

Check here for DC newbie info and help:
    http://dcevolution.net/DCHelp/

Don't forget to check out all the links on each site to get an overview of what's on offer for free .

DCEmu Newbie

thanks for the reply

i got my dc yesterday, along with SA1, Crazy Taxi, Seaman, and Evolution. ive managed to burn Feet of Fury and got it to work on the first try with dj. i also tried out a few other arcade clones, but they did quench my thirst as well as feet of fury.
    i would try out a few bor mods, but i can just play those on my xbox without wasting a cd.
    do you have any suggestions?

DCEmu Regular

to each their own, i guess, and if you don't- feel like "wasting cd's, then dont get into dc homwbrew unless u do sbi stuff, and even then you can do a bit more than 1 emu or homebrew on a disc. it takes discs to get it down, if you ain't down don't bitch, the dc doesn't have a hd andcdr's cot 30 cents or less.

okay, okay......no need to flip out on him...to foog, welcome to "the scene" there are quite a few good things....everything from a fullspeed very well working NES emulator, to a few "ebooks" so to speak. there are also several completely homemade games such as the ascention of vigil (a very highly modified quake engine game that is actually a 2dish action game) and it also has a few pretty good media players and such. I guess my best bet to you is to poke around dcemu.co.uk and www.dcemulation.com, you should be able to find some stuff that would be of your interst, im sure

DCEmu Newbie

[quote author=obelisk link=board=homebrew;num=1107612946;start=0#3 date=02/07/05 at 05:38:25]to each their own, i guess, and if you don't- feel like "wasting cd's, then dont get into dc homwbrew unless u do sbi stuff, and even then you can do a bit more than 1 emu or homebrew on a disc. it takes discs to get it down, if you ain't down don't bitch, the dc doesn't have a hd andcdr's cot 30 cents or less.[/quote]

i was just sayin i have an xbox hooked up to my tv. that can play the same bor mods without needing to burn them onto a cd.... i dont know why you cant understand that. i understand that practice makes perfect, but why would i have to practice burning bor mods when i can ftp em' to my xbox? same thing with emulators... i got into the dc homebrew scene for all the great original games from the many very talanted coders here, not for the emulators or apps. thats where my xbox comes in. im sure yall will understand...

thanks everyone, ill try out ascention of vigil, it looks pretty good.

Thread Information