Thread: Review: XCM HDMI Blaster Converter

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Reviews Review: XCM HDMI Blaster Converter

XCM HDMI Blaster Converter
    Manufacturer: XCM
    Site: Buy from Play-Asia / Buy from Amazon
    Price: $99.99

Overview : The XCM HDMI Blaster will allow you to connect any Component Video Source to your HDTV via HDMI inputs to save those valuable Component Video Inputs for other devices or for use with sets that do not have component video inputs but do have HDMI inputs.

Features :
    • Finally an HDMI converter for older (hdmi-less) consoles that brings the analog signal into the digital age.
    • Converts your old analog signal to the new High Definition standard digital signal (HDMI).
    • Compatible with Wii, PS 2, Original Xbox consoles, Gamecube, PSP Slim and more.
    • Also compatible with any component (YbPbR) signal (ie: DVD Player, DVB, Cable Box, Satellite Receiver, etc).
    • Experience the Brilliant, Colorful and Sharp video output on your HDTV.
    • Supports any device with VGA output. Input resolution for vga is 800x600, 1024x768.
    • Works on any HDTV or Monitor with HDMI or DVI inputs.
    • Fully automatic power supply management. When there is no input signal, the power supply will shut off automatically for energy savings.
    • Includes DVI to HDMI adapter.

Quality/Usability : XCM has been pumping out a lot of audio/video adapters for video game consoles whether it be VGA or DVI/HDMI. The newest product from XCM is the HDMI Blaster. The HDMI Blaster lets you converter analog signal to digital signal. It claims to be compatible with the PS2, Original Xbox, GameCube, PSP Slim and many more. However, older consoles dont have HDMI so you'll need a YPbPR (Component) cable. Since older consoles never came with these, you would have to purchase them separately whether they be OEM cables or XCM Multi-Console Component Cable v3.

In the package, you'll get the HDMI Blaster, HDMI Male/Male cable, HDMI to DVI Converter, Power cord and supply and instruction manual. Since I rarely read the manual to any of my electronics, hooking up the HDMI Blaster was pretty much straight forward and simple. You simply plug the component cable to the HDMI Blaster, plug the power to the wall and turn on your video game system and HDTV. The top of the HDMI Blaster contains a switch. This switch lets you toggle between Component output and VGA.

Component signals are outputted at 720p and resolution of 1024x768 on VGA. Although low even though you might have a display/console that can output 1080i/p, the quality is excellent. Since I got rid of my launch PS2 and original Xbox, I had to go and borrow one from a friend who actually likes to keep everything. I did however, have some games left since the PS3 and Xbox 360 are backwards compatible.

The colors were vibrant. From a normal and distant distance, the quality looks great. Of course, if you look up close, you will see jagged lines and pixels. Some will say that component will give just as good of a visual but if you're connecting component cable to the HDMI Blaster and connecting it via HDMI to the monitor, the quality is actually improved and better.

Since I was testing some older consoles, I thought I would try the Wii since it outputs at 480p. Yes, I can use component but wondered how it would look. After connecting the Wii to the HDMI Blaster, the quality was a lot better just like the older consoles. I was impressed. The PSP also produced great quality but was hampered with the length of the cord so you would be sitting close to the display.

Those looking to use VGA on this or computer monitor, I would not recommend this option. Using VGA would result in the quality being blurry and stretched out. If you're looking for a VGA adapter, I suggest taking a look at XCM 1080p Mega-Cool VGA Box. I would solely use the HDMI Blaster for component and DVI/HDMI.

Here is a video of the HDMI Blaster Converter in action...

Conclusion : Overall, the XCM HDMI Blaster is a great product for those looking to connect their old consoles and Wii via HDMI. Consoles connected via component will look great coming out of the HDMI Blaster. Unfortunately, the highest output for the HDMI Blaster is 720p and resolution of 1024x768 on VGA regardless if your console or monitor can display 1080i/p. Hopefully, XCM will release a 1080p version of this.

Images via comments.
    Last edited by bandit; March 2nd, 2011 at 15:13.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

bandit, do you know if there is any cheaper way for me to be able to play my wii on a LCD monitor from RCA to VGA or component to VGA.

This is way too expensive for me and I was wondering if there was a cheaper option in order for me to do that.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks a bunch
    Last edited by blitzinferno; December 28th, 2008 at 04:25.

This is for HDMI.

If you have VGA, go look at reviews under Wii version or look for VGA Box reviews. Look at homepage (link in my sig)

which vga box would you recommend for a low cost but decent quality?

Also, I have a DVI port on my monitor as well and could possibly get one with hdmi. Are there any cheaper versions of this that do the same thing that you could recommend?

I'm really just looking for a cheap, easy, reliable and decent way to display my wii on my monitor. I can use the following options and was wondering if there was anything you could recommend that would be best for me.

I have the following outputs on the wii:
    component
    RCA (composite)

I have the following inputs on my monitor:
    VGA
    DVI
    Potentially HDMI (also could get adapter for hdmi to DVI)

I would prefer the cheapest one as im not too concerned about quality but it should be at least half decent quality

Thanks for any help and your time
    Last edited by blitzinferno; December 28th, 2008 at 18:40.

Wii has no HDMI/DVI so this would work with the Wii

These are your options...

VDigi VD-W2 Wii VGA Cable
    XCM 1080p Mega-Cool VGA Box

I can recommend what is best but its your money and your decision. My decision could be the HDMI Blaster but its out of your price range. So its your choice what fits your needs and how much you want to pay.

What you pay in price is what you'll get in quality. You want to pay cheap but the quality wont be as good as a product that is priced higher. So you have the HDMI Blaster and the two products I linked above. Its your decision on what to get.

Thanks a bunch man. I appreciate it

DCEmu Newbie

When using the HDMI Blaster on my Wii, it doesn't fill out my screen completely (the right-hand side has a black bar). Any way of fixing this? When I use component it fills the screen fine.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi, I would like to know how well does this converter display 576i games. Does it convert them to 576p?

I have the XCM 1080p VGA Box, and it displays the 480p games with an excellent quality. I can also play 576i and 480i games but just because my monitor supports interlaced video mode (my VGA box doesn't deinterlace), and although interlaced Wii and gamecube video games are watchable with a quite good quality, some PS2 don't display properly (don't know why but ico doesn't display properly in 480i or 576i modes).

I have been thinking and the best option for me would be the Megacool VGA Box because it actually deinterlaces video, but now I have seen this new HDMI-box and your review, and I have my doubts.

Which one do you prefer for Playstation 2 games or interlaced games?

Cape Town, South Africa. Where the girl to guy ratio is 7 to 1!

Man, I dunno. I've gone through 3 VGA boxes in an attempt to play my PS2 on my LCD monitor.

The one uses a boot up software disc and is laggy on all PAL games.
    The next one only displayed non-progressive video, and finally the last one I bought, only displays progressive video.

Not one of them allowed scaling to full screen or all video modes.

I doubt we'll be seeing a converter that allows it all for the PS2, let alone one that is multi-console friendly on all accounts.

Looks like I'll have to get a TV for all my console hook-ups. The NeoYa X2VGA still seems like the best deal I've made so far.

Thread Information