Thread: Game Review: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (Wii)

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Rev Game Review: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (Wii)

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes
    Official Homepage
    Release Date: 12/11/2008
    Platform: Wii, Arcade (in Japan)
    Number of Players: 1-4
    Controllers: Wiimote + Nunchuk/Classic Controller, GameCube Controller
    Genre: Fighting
    Publisher: Capcom
    Developer: Capcom
    Region: Japan (NTSC-J)
    Site: Buy from Play-Asia (Game - $69.90) / Buy from Play-Asia (Stick - $79.90)

Overview: A tag battle opens up a sea of opportunity for gamers. The Cross Generation of Heroes is one massive crossover of a fighting game. More than 16 heroes from Tatsunoko and Capcom fighters make their way into the roster in this Wii installment. The classic hero Ryu, the vampire Morigan, Casshern, and the genie Hakushon are just a few characters who have signed up.

Choose two characters from the roster and form a tag team, switch them over to replenish their health when their HP runs low, have them assist each other in the battle and do counter attacks. Get to know the strengths and weaknesses of the characters and form a dream team.

Gameplay: Before I go any further with the review, in order to play this game, you'll either need to have a Japanese Wii or a way to play import games whether it be a method of using Freeloader, Gecko OS, Homebrew Channel or other sources. This was reviewed on a US Wii (NTSC-U) with 3.2 firmware. Now on to the review.

I have never been a person who got into fighting games. I was never into Tekken, King of Fighters, World Heroes, Soul Calibur or Dead or Alive. If I was, I would only play for a couple minutes or an hour and get tired. So it would take a GREAT game to keep me coming back to play it. Even with Street Fighter, I played often but never into it. The only fighting game I ever got into was SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium for the Neo Geo Pocket Color, Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 for the original PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and Xbox. Now that I type this, it seems to be I am more interested in Versus Capcom games..with the exception of Rival Schools for the original PlayStation. Coincidence? If so, Capcom must be doing something right!

Capcom has released their newest Versus Capcom game and is known as Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generations of Heroes. The game consists of Tatsunoko characters pitted against Capcom characters such as from Street Fighter and even Mega Man.

If you have played any of the Vs. Capcom games I have mentioned above, TvsC pretty much as the same concept and feel to it. You select two characters from the list. During the fight, you control one character while the second character is hidden and waiting. You can use the second character to assist you, help you team up for a few seconds (known as Tag Team) or tag out if your main character is about to die or is seriously injured. If you swapped characters, you now have a fresh and healthy new character to fight while the hidden character is healing. While its healing, it can help you team up.

I know majority wont know how to read the menu since it is in Japanese so here is what the menu means and are pretty much self-explanatory:

アーケード = Arcade Mode
    バーサス = Vs. Mode
    サバイバル = Survival
    タイムアタック = Time Attack
    トレーニング = Training
    プレイデータ = Play Data
    オプション = Option
    ショップ = Shop
    ギャラリー = Gallery
    オリジナルゲーム = Original (Mini) Games

Controls: You can play TvsC with different controllers. You can use the Wiimote and Nunchuk, Wiimote and Classic Controller, Wiimote and Fighting Stick or GameCube controller. I've wondered how TvsC would work out with the Wiimote and Nunchuk combination and I must say, I am very impressed. Usually you have 6 buttons for Light/Medium/High attacks. Instead, you have 4 buttons that control your Light/Medium/High attacks. You use the Nunchuk Joystick to move around while using the A, B, C and Z buttons to throw punches, kicks and specials. 1 and 2 are taunts.

The button layout is very simple. You can throw a fireball, upper cut and other moves on the first try. Although its simple, a button masher can easily end up with 15+ combo.

Graphics: Like any Wii game, you wont find any realistic or high poly count type graphics. TvsC consists of 3D graphics and 2D mechanics with a hint of cell-shading. Nothing flashy but looks very very nice. Pulling off a special shows a 3D animation of your character about to wreak havoc on your opponent. If you're not familiar with Tatsunoko, you wont know who half the characters are. But each character are well detailed and vibrant in color.

Sound: Each character has their own theme song, stage and theme. Songs are beautifully remixed, upbeat and fast-paced. However, I noticed that every a character is switched, the background music switches.

Replay Value: Me personally, I can play this for months. Mind you, I'm the type that will play the same for 1-2 hours, put it down and never touch it again. There are only a certain few that I would play for hours and months. Its hard to keep me attached to the game. But with TvsC, I play this game everyday and have no intentions of putting this game down. You always want to know which characters work well with another character and what combos they have.

Conclusion: Overall, if you're a fan of Vs. Capcom games, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generations of Heroes is a must! You wont be disappointed with this game. The price of the import is a bit pricey but you wont regret it. However, since this has Tatsunoko characters, you probably wont see this released outside of Japan due to licensing agreement with Tatsunoko characters. Hopefully, we'll see a new Marvel vs. Capcom, SNK vs. Capcom or a totally new collaboration. This would definitely be a big seller.

I would love to give this a perfect 5 but I wish there were more characters to choose from and the pace to be faster. It feels a little slow and not the same as Marvel vs. Capcom. I hope Capcom releases a game for the US.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Default What the heck?

well these version of capcom is pretty well mixed up. but i like the that classic G-Force to fight.

Thread Information