Thread: Rez on PSP Rumours

Blog Entries

Default Rez on PSP Rumours

Source Spong

One of SPOnG’s all time favourite Dreamcast and PS2 games, Sega’s sublime music-shooter Rez, is rumoured to be in development for PSP.

Shacknews.com reported over the weekend that, according to their source at Sega, a PSP port of Tetsuya Mizuguchi’s classic is "...sounding like a pretty sure thing".

Whilst a handheld version of this classic videogame would seem to make total sense to the hardcore Sega faithful, it might not make as much sense to Sega’s bottom line-driven sales teams. SPOnG hates to be the voice of commercial reason, but it also has to be remembered that neither versions of Rez sold in any significant numbers.

The game is one of those strange things – a critically-lauded, much-loved classic that very few people actually bought or played. On the other hand, for this very reason, it could well be given the ICO treatment, with a polished PS2 re-release coming out alongside a PSP version, thus making the game actually available again, outside of rare CEX sightings.

SPOnG spoke to our sources at Sega UK this morning who refused to comment on the rumour.

Ah well, we sure hope that we do get to see Rez on PSP soon, although we will wait to hear confirmation directly from Sega before we get too overexcited.

Hoo hoo hoo baby ! I'm already overexcited !

If it doesnt get released we can always hold out for a dreamcast emulated version :P

I so hope this happens, one of my all time favorite games.

DCEmu Newbie

It was announced at E3 I believe being called irony enough E3, Im not sure on the spelling. I saw it on G4 Kevin Perreira was talking about it. And interviewed the man making it, kevin said "it looks like rez" or something like that.

DCEmu Newbie

You're thinking of Every Extend Extra; which is Mizuguchi's next game for the PSP. It's more like a top down shooter instead of a 3rd person shooter like Rez. But it does have that same experimental look to it.
    I'd definately get Rez again if it comes out to the PSP. It's one of my favorite games. Although i'm not too sure if it'd feel the same over a 2.1 stereo. If anyone hasn't gotten it, theres tons available via import for the PS2 (it has Greatest Hits/Best status in Japan). Even better is that the game itself is 100% in english.

Thread Information