Thread: Hardware Questions

DCEmu Newbie

Default Hardware Questions

Okay I just ordered a secondhand PSP and I've got a few questions for when I've got it so I can be ready to put my custom firmware on.

1. Will a slim/phat battery work in a phat/slim PSP? Ie. If I get a phat tool battery will it work fine for putting a slim into service mode for installing CFW?

2. I've heard that using large capacity Memory sticks can be problematic for making magic memory sticks. Basically do I only need the MMS for installing the CFW and after that I can use a high capacity memory stick as normal?

3. What's the largest memory stick the PSP supports as I have my eyes on an 8GB one.

4. How difficult is replacing the analogue nub? Is it easy enough that a capable amateur can do it?

Thanks in advance.

1. No, you'll blow the fat (Different voltage)
    2. Only if its fake.
    3. 16GB for PSP, 16GB MicroSD if you can find an adapter for it. 16GB PSP (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MSMT16G-M.../dp/B0013AX2HO)

4. Analogue nub is pretty straight forward to replace, just take it off and put the new one on. No point stressing over it, they rarely break (I've had my slim for a while and I haven't broken it)

DCEmu Newbie

1. Dya mean I'll blow a phat if I put a slim battery in AND I'll blow a slim if I put a phat battery in or will the phat battery work in the slim just that the slim battery won't work in the phat?
    2. If it's a non-Sony brand y'mean?
    4. I should have clarified the actual stick controller rather than the actual nub bit itself. The 2nd hand PSP I've bought has been described as sticking slightly when going backwards. I assume that if I wanted to fix that I'd probably have to take it apart and put a replacement part in.

voltage is the same, 3.6V

1. phat tool will work on a slim, don't know slim tool on the phat but they're kind of rare to find, most common ones are phat tool batteries wich work on both

2. Magic memory stick needs to be created on a stick with a maximum of 4Gb, anything higher wont work, I suggest you buying an unbricking kit with battery and MS

3. Largest and cheapest memory stick at the moment Photofast CR-5400 adapter plus two microSDHC memory cards = 32Gb memory stick (I'm halfway there, as I only have the adapter and one micro, but so far it works great)

4. Replacing the whole analog stick is easy as the whole piece is attached to the faceplate, just need to take off the faceplate remove two screws and put a new analog, simple as that.

DCEmu Coder

1. PSP batteries are all the same - the only difference is in the thickness. Phat batteries work in Slims, and vice-versa. Sony even sells a funky battery cover for the Slim so you can use the Phat batteries and still have a cover on it. The only caveat to this is that NEW Sony batteries aren't programmable anymore. If you're looking to make a Pandora battery, get an old Phat battery or a third party battery.

2. The old 32 MB sticks won't work as a MMS, so there is a lower end to that as well.

3. The maximum for 1.50 is 4 GB. So if you use a Phat with 1.50 or 1.50-base custom firmware in 1.50 mode, you can only use up to 4 GB. If you're using the newer M33 custom firmware with the 1.50 add-on to run older homebrew in 1.50 mode, that is also limited to 4 GB. Only 3.xx or newer user-mode homebrew can use >4 GB.

4. From what I've read on people replacing their nubs, there is a little rubber ring that people have a tendancy to forget to put back it, and without it the nub doesn't work right (mechanical issue). So while it's not difficult to replace, be careful about how it comes apart and goes back together. If you have anything left over, you've done it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JLF65 View Post
    1. PSP batteries are all the same - the only difference is in the thickness. Phat batteries work in Slims, and vice-versa. Sony even sells a funky battery cover for the Slim so you can use the Phat batteries and still have a cover on it. The only caveat to this is that NEW Sony batteries aren't programmable anymore. If you're looking to make a Pandora battery, get an old Phat battery or a third party battery.

2. The old 32 MB sticks won't work as a MMS, so there is a lower end to that as well.

3. The maximum for 1.50 is 4 GB. So if you use a Phat with 1.50 or 1.50-base custom firmware in 1.50 mode, you can only use up to 4 GB. If you're using the newer M33 custom firmware with the 1.50 add-on to run older homebrew in 1.50 mode, that is also limited to 4 GB. Only 3.xx or newer user-mode homebrew can use >4 GB.

4. From what I've read on people replacing their nubs, there is a little rubber ring that people have a tendancy to forget to put back it, and without it the nub doesn't work right (mechanical issue). So while it's not difficult to replace, be careful about how it comes apart and goes back together. If you have anything left over, you've done it wrong.

i believe D_A has made a patch so that 1.5 kernels can read over that 4 gb cap.

as for the analog replacemnet..... easy as hell... the only thing is that sometimes after you put the new one on it doesnt like aligning correctectly, so you may have to do a little adjusting to get it to center.
    404 Error: This signature is missing!

Thread Information