Thread: DS81 v1.3 - Zx81 Emulator for Nintendo DS Released

Blog Entries

NDS DS81 v1.3 - Zx81 Emulator for Nintendo DS Released

Noddybox has posted a new release of his great ZX81 emulator for the Nintendo DS:

Well, that was a slightly longer than anticipated hiatus. Still, give it a good few days at Christmas and out pops a new version.

This fixes a few bugs, and invariably adds a few of its own. The main new feature is that a snapshot can be saved (and one even automatically loaded when DS81 runs).

Enjoy at the DS81 page.

Now that DS81 feels reasonably complete it may be time to start a VIC-20 emulation. Portable Pharaoh's Curse would rather please me...

More Info

If you'd have told me 25 years ago that I'd be playing 3D Monster Maze on the bus on a device powered by batteries, I'd have said you were mad...

DS81 is a basic emulation of the Sinclair ZX81. It only supports text modes games (basically anything that uses the bog-standard ZX81 display file for the technically minded), so hi-res games will not work. This is being worked on.

It includes a few games to try out. Note that I did not write these games, or own the copyright to them. They are included in good faith (as far as I know the authors do not mind this work being distributed), and if any of them want their work removing I'll gladly oblige:

ZX81 ROM © 1981 Nine Tiles Networks Ltd
    Mazogs © 1981 Don Priestley
    City Patrol © 1982 Don Priestley
    Sabotage © 1982 Don Priestley
    3D Monster Maze © 1983 Malcom E. Evans

DS81 also supports the loading of external files from a FAT formatted device. To do this the internal FAT routines of libnds are used, so if you're device isn't supported then I'm afraid you're stuck with the built-in games. Don't worry, you're not alone -- I wrote the damn thing and can't use external files on my flash device!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

DCEmu Newbie

Saludos.
    Aun recuerdo cuando estudiaba, quería comprar la primer microcomputadora por 100.00 dolares, si la timex sinclair.
    Ahaaaaaaaaa, viejos tiempos, aun tengo mi vieja sinclair 1000

DCEmu Newbie

Thank you for this, and good luck with your Vic20 emulator!

DCEmu Regular

First time i saw this emulator and it looks great :-)

paul

DCEmu Newbie

Default Great Emulator

Bonjour,

Great work! Now I can carry all my ZX81 games in my pocket. Better! With this new version (with a SAVE function) I will be able to modify my programs on the go. Thanks Ian.

By the way my new program "CANNON WAR" for the ZX81-TS1000/1500 will be released (if all goes well) next week.

Have a look at the ad made with and only a ZX81!

Have fun will travel, ANDRE***
    http://www.zx-team.de/andre
    http://zx81.ordi5.free.fr/andre
    Last edited by ANDRE***; April 13th, 2009 at 02:33.

Thread Information