Thread: 2K exec critical of UK retail price slashing

Blog Entries

General games 2K exec critical of UK retail price slashing

2K Games Global President Christoph Hartmann warns UK games retailers that it's making the same mistakes as music stores did in the region. He feels that retailers slash prices too quickly, many times on month-old software, to make room for new inventory. This is fairly different from the US, where the release price of games can stick (barring bombs or special sales) for a long period of time.

Granted, game prices in the UK start high (around $100) at release, but dropping prices shortly after trains the patient customer that they can get a better deal very soon. In contrast, notice how "used" prices in the US aren't that much better than new, which teaches consumers that the release price is what they should expect for a while.

Hartmann believes that by focusing on the short-term and the latest blockbuster, UK companies are too quickly slashing prices on older games. In the end, Hartmann's words sound like a passive attack on UK used game sales, which would make sense, because no money from those purchases goes into the publishers' pockets. For example: If a new game gets a fast price cut, the used version of it will be even cheaper. Meaning, customers learn quickly to either wait for the first price cut or just buy used.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/30/2k...rice-slashing/

DCEmu Regular

I loooove the priceslashing. Keeps me from going "backup" if you know what I mean. In Denmark no price slashing occurs, so you brits can have all my money.

You can't listen to game developers about game prices! They always charge whatever they think gamers are willing to pay, and when we realise we being ripped off the prices have to drop.. Because their profits are made by selling cheap to some countries and ripping off others they just have to work harder for their profits

DCEmu Regular

they should start price slashing all over europe i mean come on the price we pay for a top AAA title is between 60 and 80 euro they should be cut down to at least 45 euro as money dosen't grow on trees and now that its the end of 2008 and the begining of 2009 the gaming industry is going to get hit hard by the recession.

I strongly recommend Europeans import from the UK, as now €1=£1, or is so close as makes no difference. Any extra shipping costs from importing will easily be absorbed by savings.

Anybody know the rules for customs duties between EU countries?

Thread Information