Thread: Seriously Sega, What’s With All These Dreamcast Trademarks?

Blog Entries

Dreamcast Seriously Sega, What’s With All These Dreamcast Trademarks?

On one hand Sega has been moving forward with new franchises like Valkyria Chronicles and Sands of Destruction. On the other, well at least in the USA, Sega seems interested in their past.

In another Sega trademark search we discovered ChuChu Rocket was re-registered by Sega USA on December 22, 2008. Does this mean Sega is secretly working on reviving ChuChu Rocket as an online enabled Xbox Live Arcade game? Hopefully yes, but not necessarily.

This year Sega has re-registered lots names for Dreamcast titles like Sonic Shuffle, Cosmic Smash, Jet Grind Radio, and Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram. Like we mentioned before these are probably protective trademarks, but it is strange to see Sega spend money, and registering trademarks costs quite a bit of money, to protect so many game names. Interestingly, in the case of ChuChu Rocket the previous trademark isn’t even expired. So why would Sega spend all of this money to protect names of games that aren’t even their hot properties? Is Sega going to pull a Nintendo with a “New Play Control” series of their own?

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/12/31...st-trademarks/

Blog Entries

I hope ChuChu Rocket gets a WiiWare release sometime in the near future, that would be awesome.

I think SEGA could be playing a game of doing something that seems stupid, but in actuality is the smartest thing they could have possibly done. Who knows? SEGA may be protecting their interests from falling into the hands of inferior developers.

DCEmu Newbie

Hope keep this games exclusive for Dreamcast and not release in other consoles.

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by VampDude View Post
    I hope ChuChu Rocket gets a WiiWare release sometime in the near future, that would be awesome.

I think SEGA could be playing a game of doing something that seems stupid, but in actuality is the smartest thing they could have possibly done. Who knows? SEGA may be protecting their interests from falling into the hands of inferior developers.
    Sega is a crappy developer these days too.

maybe a new sega system, that would kick so much ass

Quote Originally Posted by royvedas View Post
    Sega is a crappy developer these days too.
    Vaulkyrie Chronicles begs to differ. Other then that your pretty much right.

Maybe SEGA is trying to make as much money while doing as little as possible now by rereleasing old Dreamcast games to get out of some financial problem. I say do it; I don't want to see SEGA go under(even if that isn't the reason)

I know they won't be releasing a new console anytime soon, but I'd camp out before launch day for a Dreamcast 2.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind if some Dreamcast games were up for download on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare.

Thread Information