Thread: Pachter: Wii sales surpass PS2's initial 2-year performance

Blog Entries

Rev Pachter: Wii sales surpass PS2's initial 2-year performance

In what is perhaps his softest attack on credulity yet, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has predicted that life-to-date sales of Nintendo's Wii console will overtake the PlayStation 2's two-year sales when it comes time to tally December's NPD-compiled North American sales results. In other words, Pachter believes that the Wii has flown off shelves faster than the PlayStation 2 did in its first two years of existence. The gall of that young upstart! (The Wii, not Pachter.)

While Nintendo's astonishing performance in November may render Pachter's bet a safe one, trumping the massively mainstream PlayStation 2 is nonetheless what we in the business call "a big deal." If December's NPD results reinforce the analyst's claim, it may even fuel his assertion that 2009 will offer more Wii hits from third-party developers -- albeit in the form of "mainstay" fare. Still, if the Wii is to become the new PS2, maybe someone will give the system its Shadow of the Colossus.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/06/pa...r-performance/

DCEmu Regular

I simply cannot believe that it continues to sell this well. Mine is collecting dust most of the time. Sure Wii sports is fun and most "non-hardcoregamers" will buy it just for that. But whats left for these people when they don't want to play Wii Sports anymore? Barbie horse racing and other quality games?

Blog Entries

My fears that the Wii simply would never get any hardcore titles has come to fruition.. Thus it has been shut off constantly for months while my PS3 remains in use almost constantly. The lesson here is just because a console offers controls that are actually not the same exact thing we've had for years does not mean anyone will make a game for it that doesnt suck.

The people still buying the Wii will either realize that and move on or they wont because they dont know any better. Either way Ninty is rolling in the dough and no one is forcing me to play "Petz Sports".

the only game i tried on the wii was the following
    brawl (didnt like it much i think melee was better)
    resident evil umbrella chronicles (poor acting game got boring after a few levels)
    wii sports witch is the only game i like
    most of the games on the wii are way to blah and boring

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by royvedas View Post
    I simply cannot believe that it continues to sell this well. Mine is collecting dust most of the time. Sure Wii sports is fun and most "non-hardcoregamers" will buy it just for that. But whats left for these people when they don't want to play Wii Sports anymore? Barbie horse racing and other quality games?
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Metroid Prime 3
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Super Mario Strikers: Charged
    Mario Kart: Wii
    Resident Evil 4: Wii
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl
    No More Heroes
    Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
    Okami

Thread Information