Thread: Sony Downplays Wii's Living Room Value

Blog Entries

Rev Sony Downplays Wii's Living Room Value

Is the $399 price tag of the 80 GB PlayStation 3 getting you down? Not to worry – the system offers you more bang for your buck than a similar Xbox 360 or Wii setup would, according to Sony.

In a recent press release, the Sony marketing team brands the PS3 as the best deal in gaming, and blasts the Xbox 360 for being a "burden on the wallet."

"The Xbox 360 requires additional money, multiple upgrades and additional external devices," the release reads.

Comparing an 80GB PS3 at $399 and an Xbox 360 Arcade unit at USD $199, Sony makes the case that to upgrade the latter to include all the features of the former would cost USD $449 - $499. Comparing the two consoles' features, Sony says adding a wi-fi adapter ($100), hard drive ($100-$150) and an Xbox Live Gold membership ($50 a year) to the cost of an Xbox 360 Arcade would push its cost over $400.

The release did not compare Sony consoles with other Microsoft SKUs, including the Xbox 360 Elite, which comes with a 120 GB hard drive for $399 and the Xbox 360 Pro unit, which features a 60 GB hard drive for $299.

But it's not just money that you'll lose if you pick an Xbox 360 over a PS3, in Sony's estimation. In addition to your hard-earned cash, you'll also be saying goodbye to valuable living room space. Sony accuses the Xbox 360 of requiring so many add-ons that it will "add clutter to the entertainment center."

The only unique Xbox 360 add-ons that we're aware of are the now-obsolete HD-DVD peripheral and the optional wi-fi adapter, which is about the size of a pack of gum and snaps snugly onto the back of the console. All other peripherals (controllers, cables, camera, chatpad, etc.) are similar for both Sony and Microsoft consoles.

The Xbox 360 bore the brunt of Sony's derision, but the Nintendo Wii didn't escape a beating. According to Sony marketing folks, "the Wii's lack of enhanced features comes at the expense of a comprehensive entertainment solution." Ouch.

What do you think about the comparative value of the three major game consoles? Is the Xbox 360 too expensive? Is the PlayStation 3 the best deal in town? Is the Wii a comprehensive entertainment solution? Let us know in the comments section.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/942/942933p1.html

Screw that! I've done the comparisons of the PS3 and 360, and the PS3 graphics alone are second almost everytime to the 360. I've got a Wii and have been looking to get either one of these, and sadly the only real appealing thing that USED TO make me want a PS3 was the really Sh1tty backwards compatibility. And to get that you choose carefully or you'll wind up with the model that doesnt have that, and really how come all models can't have that is beyond me. I think sony is just mad cause they got slapped in the Pee Pee in this round of console wars......

Blog Entries

Games that are ported from 360 to PS3 do look worse most of the time. It would be a bit odd if they didnt actually. However I think if you look at the games that are exclusive to PS3 like Killzone 2 or God of War 3 you'll see that PS3 has the ability to crank out graphics that are better than what you see on 360. Beyond that I would take a look at 360's release calendar compared to PS3 for this year.

A price drop combined with the games PS3 has coming could make this year very nice or PS3 fans

Obviously this is the same propaganda that all three sides like to spew out all the time. These things are rarely all lies or all truth. Just bits of both that sound the best.

EDIT: This should make ps3 users happy lol.
    Last edited by ICE; January 10th, 2009 at 20:36.

I agree with ICE. You obviously don't think that the PS3 is running at it's best when it gets lackluster 360 ports, do you?

Furthermore, the ports are nearly identical now, and in most of those 360 vs. PS3 comparison videos (Gametrailers especially), they have the PS3 running in "Limited RGB" mode, hence why the PS3 versions of games look washed out.

From what ive noticed 360 and PS3 grafx look the same... ive played some crappy games on both so comparing doesn't really get anyone anywhere!

I dont care about KZ2 never played the first... I care about inFamous! that game looks siiiick I love sandbox games. But for now Motorstorm Pacific Rift is my fav its just too badass before that it was burnout

People just have to stop bitching and grow up, these console wars are like the special olympics no matter who wins ya still retarded.

Thread Information