Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DevFR Speak Out - The PSP scene is sick!

Blog Entries

psp DevFR Speak Out - The PSP scene is sick!

The well respected French dev site, DevFR have today posted an article on the sickness of the PSP Scene, heres the article via google translation:

You may not be aware of what happened in the PSP scene these days, if you are you can still play but n'embêtez your friends ... In any case Professor Pyroh will have to decipher it all for you.

In the beginning

The PSP is marketed since 2004 and is the version 1.00 firmware that could begin to run homebrews, so quickly after its release. Then they swore not more than 1.50 firmware which really allowed to do everything as we wanted. But some had updated their PSP as construction and could not therefore benefit from the underground scene. Flaws were discovered (in the lib tiff it seems to me) and saw the HEN (Homebrew Enabler for) that would do almost the same but with manipulation to make first. It was a bit wobbly, some have their beautiful brick PSP gained for the price of a kidney and half the time, he needed an alternative, more sustainable and simple.

Arriving on his white horse, Dark_Alex, who had already done some stuff above-proposes a method for the PSP downgrader and return to good and beautiful firmware 1.50. This has 3 effects on the small world the PSP is to allow everyone to enjoy the scene, for its PSP Bricker more easily and bring down the price of 1.50 on ebay while also showing more models in a perfect state of brick.

The 1.50 was good but it was a time, it was not all "progress" of other more advanced firmwares. Essential features of the web browser $#@!llant how it was good to surf the net in 1997 and how Sony's engineers were wrong in terms of virtual keyboard. It was not counting on the PS1 emulation which appeared with the + / -3.00, it had to be done. Dark_Alex and Roy (yes, Roy, on the horse is the Prince, he married Princess and jumps and takes the throne, logic) asked his blessing once again and released the first custom firmware, a rainy Thursday.

Custom Firmware or CF is like a 1.50 but with 3.00 in it. Basically we get the interesting thing in version 2 and are mixed to make a super firmware that allows running homebrew (and ISOs too, I assure you) but, and it is good, it also incorporates the killer Sony made in feature! It was at first, now do FC after more than 1.50 in, you must install it separately as a plugin.

All this was great and everything went for mieu in the best of worlds, we had our PSP was everything we wanted and we had better not need to pay 3 of interesting games 'Then, on the Memory Stick ... Brickées the PSP and their owners were crying. Dark_Alex has disappeared and he said I quit. No serious M33 the Russian team took over the baton some time later.

A new wind

It came from the east wind, it was again called M33, it emerged as the new firmware King Dark_Alex or not ... In fact it was he who was behind all this, the rascal. In short, as in "The Return of the King" he returned. It was a gentle breeze, in fact, the real blow for change came when we realized that we had at Sony planqué of something in the battery for the valuable débricker PSP came SAV (all paying huh ).

Today is born the Pandora battery and Magic MS (also a Thursday). It would débriquer any PSP but also to install the firmware we wanted it, freedom, true! Once served by our friend Dark_Alex everything went very well. And the PSP Slim & Lite (PSP 2000) has arrived. Ben, in fact we do not care the Pandora's also walked over, no worries. Thereafter Dark_Alex released their kit Despertar Del Cimentario (yes it is a bit from there) which made things easier, the Swiss Army knife for PSP wholesale, and its firmware. You can do anything with downgrade, débrick, coffee and tea. It was beautiful.

This is where ca se corse

Another Thursday the PSP 3000 came and there was the tragedy. Sony has finally understood that its PSP was hackée to stem the evil and that "pirates" unofficial top for far too long! The kit Pandora did not work above, no custom firmware, forced to stay on as official said, obliged to pay its games (I exaggerate not there). The situation seemed desperate qu'allait take Roy for his kingdom? Ben, like all monarchs installed too: making $#@! to show who is the head.

The winds of discord

At the time firmware 3.XX we saw coming _HellDashX_ new on the scene and, oh heresy, walking on the beds of the government. Released a firmware 3.72HX who sparked a controversy. The author had it, as claimed Dark_Alex only stole the job to him and changed a little bit to make sure the files fame and fortune? Frankly we do not care a bit, the user is a winner with the opening to competition and the 3.72 was shunned by Dark_Alex who did not 3.72CF version. Nevertheless _HellDashX_ was hated by the scene and its firmware scrapped.

It is well to be a sort of supremacy of DA (Dark_Alex) at the scene PSP, despite the attempts to justify _HellDashX_ did nothing and the people remain attached to DA, he was right to say whatever _HellDashX_ was wrong and was a dirty thief saint of work and deserved to be hanged high and short! It would seem that he has stolen anything at all and he has worked as a single.

It's the site pspgen.com who threw another big stone into the pond Royal. Remember PSPGEN is an open site for some time and met the French PSP scene. There are other sites available gen I let you discover them through links on the site. Note that the gen sites are not always equal in terms of quality content and that's a shame. This is cronyism over, therefore PSPGEN another Thursday released a firmware stamped GEN. Rather, it is past, they are friends with over-DA therefore all is well again, all this competition ... What is interesting to note is that the author of the firmware even if it was limited at the outset appears to be a miriam hitherto unknown to the battalion. Finally, if you will, but later is better than Dallas.

Thousand Free!

And the industry is to put the game out bad but interesting: Grip Shift. The particularity of this game is that a backup changed little on the run on the PSP homebrew incrackables because of motherboard or protected because it is a PSP 3000. It provides that:

It is doing eh? But it is a good beginning, it must be stressed. This is not the first time a flaw is a game used for these purposes, GTA already had at the time allowed to do that.

However this finding is rather positive and HEN is well considered. Thus the developer house PSPGEN, Miriam, has begun to work and made a PSPGEN news to show that it worked (a POC or Proof Of Concept). Here it is too Roy is unhappy and decides to any rotting.

How to loose friends and alienate people

The current situation at present is not really pretty. First DA wrote a post to express his dissatisfaction Royal:

Quote from: Ladies and gentlemen, Roy
    This is about this.

http://www.pspgen.com/psp-3000-5-02h...te-184918.html

This is about how I trusted someone called "Miriam" and I gave him a kernel exploit of C + D, which was found by joek (the only one that deserves credit of that), just to play for himself, as it is being used 3k modules to decrypt, but the first thing he did was to show to others to get a bit of fame.

Now I realize not to trust anyone anymore, thanks.

Basically he says he is not happy because he had given the code to make the feat possible miriam by specifying that it was right for him not to release. The code is not DA at the base, it is Joek. Nevertheless DA not use the code for releaser anything (the Roy spoke) and miriam he accuses of having launched a POC just for the fame and fortune.

This is the webmaster of Alek dark-alex.org who set foot in the dish with a post in which he revealed the true identity of miriam the _HellDashX_ terrible! Diantre of twists. It is the main person who speaks better:

Quote from: miriam
    I will not attempt to classify Dark_Alex as a liar because nobody would believe me, then I'll try to explain a likely scenario to explain this false accusation. I suppose I owe you some explanations after qu'aleK me so kindly (cough) called by my old nickname for a more "flamming.

I will not deny that I am _HellDashX_ but I doubt the fact that this is due to a lie. _HellDashX_était My nickname (Miriam) and my partner Alex (Nothing to do with Alex), when we worked together on various projects including the reverse engineering of Custom Firmware. After reverse several modules, we decided to put online 3.72HX with great pleasure that has been marred by controversy over the fact that these modules were hexa-edited. They were, but the most intelligent here will understand that the patch, you must still know how they work. At the time, we had already returned vshctrl and popcorn. In the 3.73HX, this was followed PPAR a reverse of the IPL and a number of other modules, but the flaming rule continued.

After a certain period of time, we managed to get in touch with Mathieulh and Dark_AleX via MSN following the fact that we expressed hexa-published yet another project. After they have proved they were wrong, we have gained a certain level of trust with Dark_Alex during the following months.

We had to publish their downstream Leun new Custom Firmware (this time, we had fully repaid their Custom Firmware, ie all individual modules and IPL), but I did not want to see my old pseudo was cataloged, and I decided to put it online in one of our names. Miriam is, I am not articiciel and I have nothing to hide.

Now that this is cleared up, turn on the feat. I realize that only a few people believe me, but that's OK, I'll tell you my story anyway.

Several days ago, I found a vulnerability in the kernel and after several conversations with Dark_Alex about it on MSN, he told me to use the same operator. I then said I was trying to install a private HEN but some things do not work, and asked for some advice. Despite this help, I still can not run but a developer friend arrived with another solution that has proved functional. A little later, I received the code of its own exploit via MSN, but this time the HEN was already functioning at 95% and based on my own code. Dark_Alex then asked me not to publish the exploit kernel, but to look for another, what I observed in not issuing the current version of HEN in public.

However, under pressure from some people, I gave MaGiXieN to make a video of HEN in action, but without revealing details. That is exactly what has been done. Nobody, apart MaGiXieN and me, does this launcher homebrew / ISO, and I am the only one to know how.

We would have appreciated if Dark_Alex had at least mentioned this on this problem via MSN but it has stalled. There was absolutely no reason to get this message in public, to reveal my identity and making false accusations, without even a word exchange.

I was looking in the firmware Another flaw to discover another Exploit Kernel, but I think I can get more attention. I do not need this e-drama, I have a real life, friends, family and I wish that I leave this post by saying "Goodbye".

Who's wrong is right? Nobody really knows what it is we should note the attitude of DA that I have not known Roy for nothing in this whole article. Though it was very important at the scene, continues to be, and we can only acknowledge and respect the work done over the years for the stage.

It still moves?

Where is the scene today? From a DA who does not visibly competition and using his fame to get rid of its competitors and competitors who just can not prove their good faith. The underground complex will become formal and official that the world? The user is unclear in all this. I do not want to clip the wings development on PSP 3000, because from the outside this can be noticed.

The scene is bad but is not dead and it is not the rumors of a PSP2 for 2010 that fail to give a boost to it. In any case it is not Red Squirrel which we will say the opposite, he left the scene leaving a message which are: "the PSP scene is ill, with its" boss ", its" smart "and its" Lamers ""

It is going to comment ...

Although the translation isnt great you can tell that the writer thinks that Dark ALex doesnt like competition and uses his power to rid the scene of competition, cant say anything about that myself but i remember a year or 2 ago when certain sites were paying coders for exclusives and trying to poach coders from sites using the power of money.

like every scene, we move on but this time even liberal sites are speaking out, what are your thoughts on the translationn above ?

I really enjoyed the beginning of that where Dark Alex was credited with basically everything that has happened on PSP ever.
    This is so inaccurate, you would think The Daily Star (or National Enquirer for our US chums) has reported it.

well...

I must say i don't have fun the last weeks.
    A lot of people start stating that the PSP-scene is dead.
    That's not a big problem, it happened before, but then again something was released that made the scene more active again.
    People are complaining about the games that release. Ok i understand completely, it's no nextgen console, it's no PC, it's just a good, decent portable device that let's you surf on the internet, listen music, watch some vids, play some "decent" games, no matter where you are.

Those are the strong points.

But then it happenned.
    The following thing has NOTHING to do with dcemu!
    Iso's.
    really... Iso's

That's the stuff that ****ed things up here, you all need to acknowlidge that.
    Since ISO's where possible to play from your memorystick (game iso's i'm talking about) things went bad.
    A lot of people discovered the psp-scene, only because of the piracy.
    I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty, it's just the way most people are.

At first, the psp-scene was for people who really enjoyed their system, but wanted something more than Sony had to offer. (again, not talking about games).
    They started coding, making programs that made your psp-lives a lot easier.
    Homebrew games sprung to live because of the limited offer in official games. That was all good. Very good i'll even say.

But too many bad people have come to the scene.
    Dcemu has a lot of decent members, when i mean psp-scene its not only this site. It's because of those people. They only complain, complain, and complain even more.

That just sucks.

Someone ever guesses about how many people actually say thanks to a coder if they use something he released?
    just a %
    i'm thinking about 1-5%.
    And that would be A LOT.

At least the same amount of people just complain about, speed, or sound, or i dunno, depends on the program/homebrew game offcourse.

Why would coders go on? it just doesn't make sense.

Now about me. This year i started studying ICT at university, and learning C. I was wondering if i could write programs for my psp, and yes, after some online psp-programming tutorials i could.

I recently started working on a rather large project. Alone. But with all those recent troubles in the scene, and the stuff i mentioned above (support, and thanks for coders). I'm thinking about quitting the project too. I know, it's not like OMG THOMLY QUITS OH NOES, but i can completely understand WHY coders are thinking about quitting nowadays.

I WILL continue on my homebrewgame, it's my first game, but still. I prolly won't have it released on time, and by on time i mean:
    Before everything is ****ed up.

Thomly
    (and please don't flame cause i posted my personal thoughts)

DCEmu Regular

An open source scene like the PSP scene is the fair culmination of it's parts.

1. Did Miriam release the source with no credit of any kind given to anyone but himself? -OR- Did he have a W.I.P. video posted of his P.O.C.?
    A. This would establish Miriam's liability.

2. DA seems willing to connect with anybody with something to offer and genuine ingenuity and skills. Unfortunately he his human, and as most humans he can be eccentric.

3. No apology from anyone can solve this, but it's worth a try in the interested of a fair and balanced universal emulation scene.

4. Things are not as bad as they seem. But a loss of even one PSP -end user- due to this kind of public mud slinging is intolerable, not to mention a PSP programmer of any skill or intellect.

5. DA had a problem and completely did all the wrong things to solve it. Not to say that Miriam did or didn't deserve it.

6. I am a little ashamed at DCEMU for posting DA's comments towards Miriam on the front page. Even if the charges prove to be true it would still make Miriam less of a villain than those guys that troll the boards looking for newbies who are dumb enough to be talked into microwaving their PSP's.

A. I don't mind the editorial by another web ring be posted, and I wish someone here at DCEMU would have done it first. But I don't know if any of us are that close to either DA or Miriam.

7. I was really looking forward to having the PSP crews present in the waning era of the PSP move on to the PANDORA console. Why argue with SONY? Let's give 'em the finger and move on. Don't break apart on me now after everything we've been through.
    Last edited by guymelef; January 20th, 2009 at 21:53.

DCEmu Rookie

I see this all getting much worse in the next few months, with all the bruised ego's, bitch fighting and glory seeking hacking the psp 3k will bring, i bet the Sony execs are just swivelling in their chairs laughing at the wedge the psp 3000's putting down the middle of the scene, i'm honestly starting to wish Microsoft would make a handheld so the Psp can have some competition and remove some of the dominance these top hackers have

I would just like to add my 2 cents on the whole iso killing the PSP thing.

To be honest I don't agree with it. Look at the Wii, anyone with half a brain and the ability to follow instructions can be running Iso's on their Wii within a few minutes.

Has this killed the Wii? Have sales dropped as a result? No.

With any consoles where Iso loading is implemented though hacks (not modchips), there is still only a small fraction of the overall user base that A) Knows about it and B) that will actually do it.

Commercial PSP Dev's are just beating the Iso bush as an excuse to cover up the real reason the PSP is failing, bad games.

90% of PSP games are pure rubbish, either quick gutted ports or extremely linear games that have no appeal whatsoever.

I think it is time the Commercial PSP developers grew some balls and put there hands up and accepted they are the reason the PSP is failing, and not blaming it on Piracy.

As for the PSP homebrew scene dying ....

The PSP homebrew scene is not dead by a long shot, I myself have a big big game in the works for it that 70% or more of users have been crying out for and praying for a finished one, and one of my buddy's has a game in development that is about 70% done that will blow you all away with its gameplay and overall polish.

That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Zack; January 21st, 2009 at 00:48.
    My Business (Games, Apps & More):

Gremlin Interactive

DCEmu Legend

psp

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    I would just like to add my 2 cents on the whole iso killing the PSP thing.

To be honest I don't agree with it. Look at the Wii, anyone with half a brain and the ability to follow instructions can be running Iso's on their Wii within a few minutes.

Has this killed the Wii? Have sales dropped as a result? No.

With any consoles where Iso loading is implement though hacks (not modchips), there is still only a small fraction of the overall user base that A) Knows about it and B) that will actually do it.

Commercial PSP Dev's are just beating the Iso bush as an excuse to cover up the real reason the PSP is failing, bad games.

90% of PSP games are pure rubbish, either quick gutted ports or extremely linear games that have no appeal whatsoever.

I think it is time the Commercial PSP developers grew some balls and put there hands up and accepted they are the reason the PSP is failing, and not blaming it on Piracy.

As for the PSP homebrew scene dying ....

The PSP homebrew scene is not dead by a long shot, I myself have a big big game in the works for it that 70% or more of users have been crying out for and praying for a finished one, and one of my buddy's has a game in development that is about 70% done that will blow you all away with its gameplay and overall polish.

That's my 2 cents.
    That 2 cents is worth a hell of a lot more. Excellent post! :thumbup:

DCEmu Newbie

This translation reads like a paranoid delusion to me. Dark-Alex using his "power" to destroy the competition, indeed. Is this what qualifies as news now? The scene is more than just what firmware you have installed. A lot more than just firmware. I don't see Dark-Alex trying to put emulator developers out of business, or homebrew game developers.

Moreover, the PSP scene is not "dying", there are simply less breakthroughs to report. All the really impressive stuff was done years ago, and it more or less topped out at the release of the pandora hack to the public. As of now, it's just the same as any other homebrew scene would be this many years after its inception.

Totally irrelevant... nothing to see here... move on.

So sick of hearing people say the psp is dying.

As for commercial games, in the US (for me at least) there's Resistance Retribution coming out in march (brilliant graphics by the way) and the English version of Dissidia Final Fantasy

As for home brew, there is already a ton of stuff, the problem with that of course, is that when you already have tons of shells, plug-ins, games and apps, is that there's really nothing left to make. So yeah, expect it to be slow until we get some more nice releases.

Also I think that the psp scene is inspiring people. Because of it, I am learning how to program. After I'm fairly experienced I plan on working on an application (with a psp port eventually) that will make things easier for people who like reading mangas and the like on their psps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information