Thread: Official Games to Install data on Mem Cards

Blog Entries

psp Official Games to Install data on Mem Cards

Someday digital downloads could replace UMDs. Not quite yet, though! Most PSP owners still get their games on physical media which means load times.

A few publishers are tackling the problem with the help of larger Memory Sticks on the market. Their trick is a partial data install similar to what a handful PlayStation 3 games offer. Mana Khemia: Student Alliance, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, and if a menu screen is anything to go by Irem’s Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3 (Disaster Report 3) will too.

Dissidia: Final Fantasy has a rather creative data install feature. You choose how much space you want to use: 243 MB, 371 MB, or 520 MB. More space means shorter load times in between battles.

Of course none of these games are out in the US yet, but two of them are guaranteed to come. Do you plan to take advantage of the data install feature in the future or is your Memory Stick space filled up with media?

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/01/29...ore-psp-games/

DCEmu Legend

This is another step in the right direction. However, it still sounds like you need to have the actual UMD in the drive. That makes sense on one hand. But I think there should be an option to completely dump the game. Sure, some will argue that you can then just sell or return the game once its installed. But not many people have 16GB memory sticks for their PSP to store a dozen or so games. People will need to hold onto the UMD copy so they can free up space on their memory stick eventually and not lose the game forever.

Hmmm, you didn't mention Monster Hunter Portable 2G as an example, not only is it the single biggest selling PSP game in Japan, it's was also, i believe, the first game to copy some data to the Memory stick for faster load times, 580MB if i remember right.

DCEmu Newbie

... I thought the reason for CF from Dark Alex was to load a game off the memory card for making the game load faster. Also to have the ability to over clock the psp for certain games (mike megaman maverick hunter x) so they run without slow downs. So yes I will use the feature... kind of.

Thread Information