Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Isnt Hen for Gripshift Exploit Released ? Details Below

Blog Entries

psp Why Isnt Hen for Gripshift Exploit Released ? Details Below

MaGiXieN webmaster of French PSP Site PSPgen posted this regarding why PSP 3000s dont have hen and more on.

You all have in mind our video showing a PSP 3000 able to run homebrews and ISOs. It seems that some people still don’t understand why this HEN is not online. Explanation.

Since the official firmware 5.03 was released, the Gripshift exploit has been patched. This has allowed for confusion to creep in some people’s head and we have seen a few posts demanding the release of Miriam’s HEN (Homebrew Enabler). Some very pushy, others less, all this post have this in common: the mix-up between the Gripshift exploit and the exploit allowing access to the Kernel Mode, which is essential in order to install what you have seen on the video.

Here are the characteristics of Miriam’s 5.02Hen-A:

Compatible up to firmware 5.02
    Compatible with all homebrews
    Compatible with ISOs, PSX
    Compatible with plug-ins (at least all those that I have tried)
    Activation of a recovery mode allowing access to common features (such as switching X and O) not to flash0 (see below)
    Since the HEN bypasses flash0 using the MS instead, it is impossible to touch it on the hardware, but it is possible on the MS.
    The HEN remains as long as the console isn’t turned off or rebooted.
    You must keep the Memory Stick containing the flash files in the MS slot or to copy the files on all used MSs.
    You must have the Gripshift UMD in order to launch the HEN.
    You cannot update your firmware beyond 5.02

Most frequent comments:

« Because of you Sony has patched the Gripshift exploit with the firmware 5.03 »

Wrong. The Gripshft exploit was found and put online by Matiaz and exploited by Freeplay.
    We only carried on with our adaptation for Gripshift Euro.
    As soon as the exploit was online, it was granted that a new firmware would come and patch it. It has always been like this (GTA LCS, Lumines) and its release the day after we made our Binary Loader for Euro available is most likely a coincidence.

It’s good for the PSP3000, but is it the same for those with a PSP2000 TA88-v3?

Yes and no. In principal it is exactly the same than with the PSP3000 because their motherboard has the same characteristics. No difference there. Although, there is an alternative for those of you with some “DIY” skills. “All” you need to do is replace your motherboard with a TA88 (v1 or v2) found on the net.

What’s the difference between HEN and eLoader?

Hen is a Homebrew Enabler. It allows homebrews to launch whilst still on official firmware. Miriam’s used two exploits in order to be installed: Gripshift’s (public) and another one (private this time) that allows the activation of the kernel mode, therefore giving access to the flash’s functions.
    The eLoader is a program that allows the launch of homebrews that only require user mode to start. It will be launched via the Gripshift exploit and will compatible with all PSPs with firmware up to 5.02. With the help of this program, it will be possible to launch all “user mode” homebrews already existing on PSPs that are not on Custom Firmware. This opens the door to a long list of games, emulators and other utilities. This eLoader will not allow you to launch programs requiring the Kernel Mode like flashers, utilities using the flash or the PSX emulator and ISO launcher. Its release was announced by Fanjita who didn’t specify on the date and asked not to be harassed about it to be able to work in peace.

Sony patched the exploit so give us the thing to launch the homebrews/ISOs (HEN)

This comment is the proof of a complete lack of knowledge on this subject. We’re going to try to be as clear as possible about this.

The Gripshift gamesave exploit allows the launch of a code that doesn’t have the Sony signature even if the PSP is still on Official Firmware. It is with this exploit that it is possible to launch homebrews via the binary loader for Euro or US and it is also it that will allow team Noobz’s future eLoader to launch, which itself will be used to launch homebrews in user mode (see above).
    This exploit was patched in the firmware 5.03. As long as a PSP remains with a firmware prior to this one, this exploit will be active. So if you want to enjoy yourself do not update your PSP.
    The exploit used by Miriam to access Kernel Mode and install the HEN (Homebrew Enabler) is an exploit qui can not be made public for various reasons. If the current version of the HEN was made available online, which is what a good few are expecting, the kernel exploit used to install it would be patched straight away, like the Gripshift’s one. This Kernel exploit is way more valuable than the Gripshift’s and if Sony was to patch it this could be the end to the VIP access that some underground devs, such as Dark_Alex, are using to hack the console.

Let’s be realistic, to this date about 30 million consoles support the installation of a Custom Firmware. So it’s easy to find a second hand one with that will satisfy your needs. PSP 3000 does not have any improvement sufficient to justify the loss of the exploit and it would be absurd to close the kernel’s door to the devs on the PSP3000, and even future one, for as long as another exploit has not been discovered, giving us an alternative. “Patience and time grant more than strength and anger.”

Why showing it if you don’t give it to us?

That’s the million dollar question. We sincerely only wanted to please you and give hope to those with a PSP3000. It is also clear that Miriam was happy with this success and wanting to share such an achievement is understandable, right? If you had succeeded in doing something everyone deemed impossible, wouldn’t you have wanted to let it know? We did.
    Even if we technically couldn’t share with everyone, we wanted to inform you about it. This decision still doesn’t seem to us as a bad one even to this day, especially since it did bring-up the wonderful school ground atmosphere of the PSP underground world.

Your thing was a fake anyway, that’s why you’re not giving it to us.

This comment was made in the early days, especially on US forums. That’s because the ISO launched was similar to the UMD inserted in the UMD slot. The controversy that followed eventually was able to convince these “bad-speaking” people that this was true, otherwise it would never have happened. CQFD.

Will this HEN be released on day?

Possibly. The day it will be possible to put it online without compromising the access to Kernel Mode. Basically, the day we will be able to use another exploit than the one used by Miriam. As we already explained, no exploit is brought forward without another one being available so that we can carry on. Otherwise it would be suicidal, no?
    So unless there isn’t any other… it should happen. When? Patience

Lol at the entitlement of some prickish users in the PSP scene... 'demanding' that someone releases their hard work. If it weren't for these people using their time and knowledge to find and utilize these exploits, the public wouldn't have homebrew on psp, and therefore wouldn't even know what they were missing.

If I could code, and I had people 'demanding' that I release something, I'd probably write up some sort of bricker that looked like the genuine app, and send it to them on a case by case basis. "Yeah man, you made so much noise on the forum, I've decided to give you an early copy. Enjoy".

Idiots and assholes will be the death of the PSP scene.

Knowing the state of the psp scene right now MaGiXieN will probably get flamed to death for this

DCEmu Newbie

I hope it happens soon.Good luck to the hackers making the psp a worthwhile system.Without homebrew the psp would be just another n-gage with some square remakes and sub par exclusive releases.

As the text says, the PSP 3000 is not worth enough, not only for sacrifice the exploit, but to sacrifice 200 bucks. I would claim users to be "on strike" by not to buying this $#@! of PSP 3000 that promised great improvements and has result in another screw up.

?

ok yea sony is going to patch the firmware, they always do, why not make it like any other time

release hen (if its really ready) and keep working for the 5.02 kernel, if the user upgrades, well their stupid and its their problem

not that it effects me, i have a phat, nor do i really care about the statements made by PSPgen but...

DCEmu Newbie

If you ask me, I honestly think that this shouldn't be released... Really they shouldn't.
    Reason: Psp 2000 and 3000 hardware are allmost the same, except for screen and microphone, so on homebrew we wouldn't benefit from it... And this would be only a new excuse to game producing companies to blame piracy for them not making a game that is uber-awesome.
    Allthough by releasing it, we would have a chance to study for newer releases of psp's...
    Even if I had Psp 3000, I wouldn't want this firmware. PSP just has ages to go and I wanna see what they can do with it... What you can do with it
    Anyway, I'ts only one voice against thousands, so even if it is released, there will be loads of happy ppl.

DCEmu Newbie

i believe strongly that this should be released. i am in the current state of psp 3003 with ofw 5.02. i have the gripshift exploit and have made it work correctly for the pong game. if this was released it would make not only me but thousands of others happy. if people have updated to 5.03 well all you can say is paired for them. you will not be needing this for later releases like psp 2 or psp 4000 or whatever is gonna come out because your pspgen with dark alex and everyone else what is there you cant hack. there is always a way and from my experience every game and consle has a strong bug even the greatest fps in the world has a bug (cod4). you cannot garenty you will hack further releases but look where we've come from with hack the latest 5.02 . and if you get stuck why not focus on one big project which could be a psp game with a custom bug in it .then you could sell it on ebay or something.
    i have one question. can you play the gba through the user mode exploit of gripshift? if so how can you send me the coding or something at [email protected]. thank you post your reply i might be wrong and i take critisism well bye and thank you for your awsome work i am becoming a programmer later in life and hope to be working with the hackers to crack all consles.
    Last edited by 04aduncan; February 1st, 2009 at 13:09.

DCEmu Newbie

Quick question when the psp3000 gets fully hacked will we need a copy of gripshift to use the homebrew or isos?

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by 0zymandias View Post
    Quick question when the psp3000 gets fully hacked will we need a copy of gripshift to use the homebrew or isos?
    If you are a pirate then we don't want you here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information