Thread: Nintendo denies official DS developer status to 'Bob's Game' creator

Blog Entries

NDS Nintendo denies official DS developer status to 'Bob's Game' creator

The latest post issued from rogue Bob's Game creator Robert Pelloni's secret lair features something we were quite sure we'd never see -- no, he didn't give up, but 25 weeks after sending his application for DS development authorization, he finally got his letter from Nintendo. The text of the note is identical to that received by rejected WiiWare developer Xiotex Studios.

His entire (not quite) 100-day protest was based on the fact that Nintendo had yet to respond to his application for a Nintendo DS SDK, so official communication from the company is, in one sense, vindication for Pelloni. But in another, more accurate sense, it's a rejection letter.

The text of the letter offers clues as to why Pelloni was not approved: Nintendo expects "secure business facilities, sufficient equipment and staffing, financial stability and other attributes that would distinguish the developer." We assume that a sealed office that you pretend is an alien spaceship does not constitute "secure business facilities."

Even more telling is the statement that Nintendo "provides Authorized Developers with highly confidential information" and thus "exercises a very high level of discretion" when choosing to whom it grants SDK access. If he really has heard back from Nintendo (and we must express a modi$#@! of doubt in regard to anything Bob's Game-related), then Bob's constant blogging of his own wait for approval seemingly ruined his chances of receiving that approval

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/06/ni...bobs-game-cre/

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    Nintendo expects "secure business facilities, sufficient equipment and staffing, financial stability and other attributes that would distinguish the developer." We assume that a sealed office that you pretend is an alien spaceship does not constitute "secure business facilities."
    LMAO nice. :thumbup:

DCEmu Rookie

So basically anyone even considering making a nintendo game must have at least a few million dollars of capital or more.

That shuts out 99.9999999% of the population.

Bob handled his situation like a baby, but nintendo are some elitists requiring only "distinguished developers" working on games.

Nicely said juiceface. Bob lost allot of dignity and respect when he did what he did. But I also think Nintendo should be welcoming developers such as Bob to help them expand as a company. I actually think Bobs game looks half decent. I know I would play it.

DCEmu Rookie

To be fair Nintendo first started their policies at a time when basically ANYONE could make a game, which resulted in the mid eighties gaming crash. Granted they're still being $#@!s about it, but if they give Bob a ticket (or gave before he went batso NUTS) then that sets a precedence for other would-be developers to whine and complain, and sue for the same privilage.

DCEmu Rookie

I don't think it matters to Nintendo how much capitol you have going into it. I think what matters to them is how you conduct business and Bob did not seem in any way professional. At least not from what I've read. Sure he could program well, but unless he wants to start his own programming company and produce some games first (maybe open source, maybe just for other platforms) he's not really going to look very good to Nintendo. Then he would have had a better shot at it if he had a company already even if his number of sales were not so great if he had produced games and sold them previously he would have an established business with established procedures.

Also if he would have gotten a lawyer I think he would have improved his chances as well. (A lawyer is not going to recommend that you vandalize the Nintendo store and a Lawyer will make sure you send professional correspondence to the company). I think Bob was just pushing too hard and trying to leap over the ladder so to speak as opposed to just climbing it if that makes any sense. He seems very proud of his game and he should be. He appears to be a good programmer but a poor business person.

Just my two cents.

He also should've given his game a better name, so, y'know, Nintendo could've taken him seriously. I think pretty much ANY name that isn't offensive or copyright infringing would be better than "Bob's Game."

Thread Information