Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [B]The original Final Fantasy VII on the PSP![/B]

DCEmu Newbie
    The seventh level of hell, hole number 666 on the 66th floor.

Default [B]The original Final Fantasy VII on the PSP![/B]

The moment every one has bean waiting for! The original Final Fantasy VII on the PSP (Play Station Portable). Yes! It is true, you to can have this amazing achievement on your system too. How is this possible you ask... well I will tell you.
    The system specs required for the installation of FFVII are as follows, win 95 or higher, PII-160 mghs, 35 megs of ram, ext... as you can see the specs for this game are minimal! Well, that is for the windows installation, hmmm... what was that I heard a wile ago? Ah yes, windows for the PSP! (Yes Matan and others have come up with a way to emulate windows, with a virtual hard drive) and if you don’t know the PSP runs at 333.3 mghs. It is theoretically possible for one of these programers (Matan) to install FFVII on the virtual hard drive either before installation on the PSP or after. The advantage of “pre-installation” is no work for you! Just unpack to the PSP mem stick, and away you are!
    The only problem is, no one has don it yet. I do not have the experience nor knowledge to do this myself, so get together people, and start begging these people to get FFVII on your psp!
    Spread the word and soon we could have it all!

If any people are reading this and have the knowledge to do what I have asked you to, pleas e-mail me @ [email protected] I would love to be updated on the progress of this project. And I would like a little credit for the idea...

DCEmu Newbie
    The seventh level of hell, hole number 666 on the 66th floor.

I will say it again, we need your help to get the word out and tell these people how they can do it!

... dude... the only way would be to port.. PORT... psp is only 32MB and to EMULATE you need to have atleast 5 times the power of the system you trying to emulate...

What you are talking about, i have used before, and windows 95 for psp does not even have mouse support... it only has 8MB of ram available of the psp... it cannot run FFVII

The only thing would be to port it, however people are only interested in porting games like doom and quake, and half-life, great and fun games, but short, and not appealing to all... i would hope after getting those games ported they would move to longer more RPG type games, im very much hoping for the shareware Diablo, and Starcraft!!!

Final fantasy VII is not shareware, and cannot be ported to the psp entirely legally like quake and doom... (and Starcraft and Diablo ppl!!!)

HEY LETS PORT A GOOD GAME (its good cus i like it and we all know popularity makes something good just like paris hilton)

LETS PORT GRANDTHEFT AUTO!!!

DCEmu Newbie

A GTA 1~2 port would be improbable at best.

If you mean GTA 3...

Well maybe you should try thinking before you hit the post button.

-Tryqus

We all know where to find emulators right?

If you mean GTA 3...

It may be possible...of course not full speed...and the chances of finding someone to remake GTA 3 is not likely. I'm 95% positive GTA 3 isn't open source. Maybe 15 fps if it was open source and ported. More like 45 fps if completely remade because it'd be designed to handle the psp's limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by michael jackson
    HEY LETS PORT A GOOD GAME (its good cus i like it and we all know popularity makes something good just like paris hilton)

LETS PORT GRANDTHEFT AUTO!!!

Just download a GB or GBA emu and go get the roms :P

Exclamation Infusion of Brains!

Using Bochs with a Windows emulator is a stupid idea, at best. Like RedKing14CA said, you'd need about five times more power just to emulate the CPU. 333 MHz on the PSP's CPU is not comparable to a 333 MHz Pentium II. They're not the same, and if you compare AMD chips and Intel chips, you'll see that measuing a chip by it's clock speed is no real measure of its true power.

I played FFVII PC on a computer that barely fit the minimal requirements. At 320x240 mode, I got about 15 FPS. At 640x480 mode, I got 2 FPS, if I was lucky. More often than not, I got 1-.5 FPS. That's right, one frame for every one to two seconds. I'd shudder to imagine what this would be like.

Storing all the data would be a major pain too. The FF7PC installation took up a (for the time) huge 450 MB chunk of storage. Couple that with three 650 MB discs (I don't think they had 700 MB discs then) and you have another 1,950 MB to store. Adding all of that together, plus about 500 MB for a Win98 install, you have 2,900 MB. No one makes memory sticks larger than 2 GB. Datel makes a hard disk that's 4 GB in size. You'd be devoting about two thirds of that, 2.83 Gibibytes, to an underpowered, beyond-super-slow, inferior port of FFVII. I'd take that copy of FFVII and put it out of its misery.

The only real solution is to get SquareEnix to port FFVII to the PSP. FF7PSX used three CDs, but that was using the old MDECS video codec. MDECS has a ton in common with MPEG-1. SE could easily squash those videos down to H.264 (A.K.A. A.V.C.) and gain a huge amount of space. If FF7PC is any comparison, most of those three CDs were (as if you couldn't guess) videos.

Given the PSP's video capabilities, which I say is closer to the Dreamcast than the PSX, the game is definately possible on the system, given a PROPER porting.

Given what a money maker FFVII is, though, and its popularity, I'm surprised that the Sony guys haven't been selling themselves, their souls, and anything else they have, to SquareEnix to make a port of FFVII. A game like that would sell a lot of PSPs.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing

We all know where to find emulators right?

If you mean GTA 3...

It may be possible...of course not full speed...and the chances of finding someone to remake GTA 3 is not likely. I'm 95% positive GTA 3 isn't open source. Maybe 15 fps if it was open source and ported. More like 45 fps if completely remade because it'd be designed to handle the psp's limitations.
    Allow my to infuse some brains here. THERE ARE NO OPEN SOURCE GAMES FOR THE PS2! As someone who works with Open Source software on a daily basis, I know what I'm talking about. No corporate entity in this day and age are going to risk losing money on their games by making it open source. And making it open source is only half of the problem with porting it. I don't believe Doom or Quake were OSS, but they were ported. Why? Because they're shareware. They're under a different license that's expired and now allows people to distribute and modify the code.

If it was Open Source and Ported, it'd be more likely to be running at 30 FPS. Do you think and porter in their right mind wouldn't take a chance at improving the efficiency of the game by scaling down some of the texture maps?

Your big problem is going to be fitting it. I don't have a firm number, but GTA 3 is stored on a DVD disc. That means it could occupy anywhere from 1 MByte to 4.38 GBytes. That's just if it's single layered. Using dual-layering technology, it could get as large as 7.5 GBytes. But I'd settle around 3.5-4 GB as the most likely size. The UMD can hold 900 MBytes, or 1.8 GBytes in dual-layered mode. It would take a lot of work to find a way to compress that much data. We'd lose a lot of data. Probably have to strip out a radio station or two, maybe recompress all the voice acting, majorly scale down the texture maps, and still a ton more would need to be recompressed.

And this is all off topic. I'm sick and tired of people coming into a thread saying "No way! They should port a good game like (Game name here)!" If you'd rather see a different game ported, then go start a thread about it. Your complaints aren't going to change the fact that we'd all like to see FFVII on the PSP. I'm not trying to be rude, sound like I'm angry, irate (sp?), or anyhting like that. I'm just tired of people making those kinds of comments.

P.S.: Might want to check out this link. Online petitions haven't always made an impact, but it's nice to show some support.

DCEmu Newbie trigun@buttwiper.net's Avatar

why don't you port a simple game like.....well........i forgot..

DCEmu Rookie

y would u want to port gta3? u can just by gta:lcs..its the same acept lcs is beter in a wway..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information