Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen resolutions

Default Screen resolutions

Is it possible to set a 800x600 resolution on the Dreamcast, as I'm developing an RTS game for Windows and Linux, and am going to port it over to Dreamcast, and I would like to use 800x600 for it, consider this is a 2D game,

Blog Entries

Default Re: Screen resolutions

i dont think so

DCEmu Regular

KOS supports 800x600 yes but it will only be playable for VGA adapter users. Which I am so let the porting begin

Hallehjuhah, the other people wont get annoyed with me for using a 640x480 for the pc version, okay, so with is there a port of SDL i can use with KOS, or do i will i have to recode graphics engine thingy, my RTS on pc will be written in Dev-C++ with SDL, so sweet 800x600 on DC cool, it'll use the keyboard and mouse on DC, and i'll try to make controller support with the analog thumbad, it wouldn't be too hard to do.

DCEmu Regular

Well your gonna need to use KOS and yes there SDL support for KOS but everyone is switching over to PVR rendering these days it seems. I think SDL is a bit slow but I'm not sure how much slower.

Dream Coder

SDL on the DC does not support 800x600. On the Dreamcast the actual resolution is 800x608 (or is it 808x600?) and only newer versions of KOS support it (1.1.x dont) and SDL only functions with the older versions of KOS (that i know of...).

I would suggest having it be scaleable resolution. Although this means a bit more work, it ends up a nicer finished product.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Regular

Or just not use SDL for the DC port. I mean wouldnt it be easier to worry about the PC version and then just change the renedering to PVR later for DC?

[quote author=quzar link=board=homebrew;num=1093551478;start=0#5 date=08/26/04 at 18:36:19]SDL on the DC does not support 800x600. On the Dreamcast the actual resolution is 800x608 (or is it 808x600?) and only newer versions of KOS support it (1.1.x dont) and SDL only functions with the older versions of KOS (that i know of...).[/quote]SDL works with the latest build of KOS-SVN 1.3.x that I have. Every SDL release I've made was compiled with it. The addon directory structure has changed - but even the SDL addons such as SDL_mixer and SDL_image work if the directory change is adapted accordingly.

Dream Coder

awsome. when im totally finished with WW ill see about upgrading then. I have only used 1.1.9 though. Are newer versions faster or just more featureful/stable?
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

have you any details on this RTS game

im a massive rts fan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information