Thread: Review: XCM Cross Battle Adapter

ps3 Review: XCM Cross Battle Adapter

XCM Cross Battle Adapter
    Manufacturer: XCM
    Site: Buy from Play-Asia
    Price: $50.00

Overview: Finally a way to enjoy your favorite PlayStation 3 games using your wired Xbox 360 controller! This unit allows you to connect any wired Xbox 360 controller to your PlayStation 3 with ease. Just plug and play! With built in Rapid Fire / Turbo modes for each button controlled independently.

Features:
    • Compatible with ALL PlayStation consoles and models.
    • Requires the wired Xbox 360 controller.
    • Built in Rapid Fire / Turbo for each button with independant controls.
    • Easy to Use - Just Plug and Play!
    Quality/Usability: The XCM Cross Battle Adaptor is the first of its kind, allowing you to connect your wired Xbox 360 controller to use on the PlayStation 3. This is the adaptor many gamers have been waiting for, due to the Xbox 360’s superior triggers. The adaptor also features a rapid fire/turbo option that can come in handy in a few games. The Cross Battle Adaptor is very easy to use, being Plug-N-Play. Once I plugged the adaptor into the PS3, and the Xbox 360 controller into the adaptor, an LED lit up and within a few seconds I was able to navigate the XMB.

On to the games…

Racing - WipeOut HD

The controls for Wipeout HD felt suitable and I was able to get 2nd place in my first play through. The only issue I had was that the analog sticks were not quite as accurate as on the Dual Shock 3, so taken corners can be a problem. Using the left and right shoulder buttons allowed me to compensate however.

Fighting - Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix

This is a game where the DS3 excels, and the Xbox 360 controller lags behind. Admittedly, although I’m not very good at executing the moves, I was even worse trying to pull off moves using the analog and dpad controls on the 360 controller. Stick with the DS3 for playing games which require a lot of precision button presses.

First Person Shooters - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare / Resistance 2

Because Call of Duty only has preset button layouts, I wasn’t able to feel fully comfortable with the controls, although I was still able to get first place in an online match. Resistance 2 on the other hand felt very natural, allowing me to map the buttons to my needs. This is the type of FPS that will work best for anyone who loves the feel of the 360 controller – and the very reason why the XCM Cross Battle Adaptor was created.

Conclusion: For those who love the feel of the 360 controller, the XCM Cross Battle Adaptor is the perfect accessory for their gaming needs.

Pro’s
    • It works
    • Plug-N-Play
    • Added Rapid Fire / Turbo option that works great for certain fighting games
    • Allows you to play FPS’s the way they were intended
    Cons
    • No rumble
    • Only works with wired controllers
    • Games that require the use of sixaxis won't work
    • Some games only have presets, so you will have to cope with the button layout the developers give you
    Images via comments.
    Last edited by bandit; March 2nd, 2011 at 15:25. Reason: spelling

Thread Information