Thread: System Menu 3.5 Released

Blog Entries

Rev System Menu 3.5 Released

News from Wiibrew:

Version 3.5 of the System Menu was announced on March 3, 2009, by Nintendo sending notices to the Wii Message Board. (Korean Region Only As Of This Posting)

Update appears to include IOS52 (used by menu) and IOS254 (a copy of IOS9, to block PatchMii). Along with Updates to all 4X IOS versions (IOS40 IOS41 IOS43 IOS45 IOS46)

What is affected
    Affected Workaround
    Twilight Hack 0.1beta1 and below? - Status Unknown
    PatchMii - None (yet, but should be easy)
    DVDx - Status Unknown

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_3.5

DCEmu Rookie

Why they bother so much to blocks the hackers?

Let us enjoy homebrew damnit, it's the main reason I'm not selling my Wii.

I hate nintendo sometimes.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by kevenz View Post
    Why they bother so much to blocks the hackers?

Let us enjoy homebrew damnit, it's the main reason I'm not selling my Wii.

I hate nintendo sometimes.
    do you remember the dreamcast? no one wants to relive that travesty.

What happened with the Dreamcast? I never had one. Heck, I don't think I've even played one!

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by OMIGHTY1 View Post
    What happened with the Dreamcast? I never had one. Heck, I don't think I've even played one!
    well, their media format for games was something called a GD-ROM, which was basically a glorified CD. Apparently the GD-ROM actually incorporated parts of the CD standard (I think for audio?). anyways, people found a method of ISO burning so people could burn dreamcast games to any ol' CD ROM and boot it like it was a GD ROM. So basically, no modding necessary what-so-ever to pirate games.

When game developers got wind of this, do you think they kept making games for a system where people didn't even have to jump through hoops to pirate their games? I think the fact that sega no longer makes systems answers that question.

The Long Claw of the Law BlueCrab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grossaffe View Post
    well, their media format for games was something called a GD-ROM, which was basically a glorified CD. Apparently the GD-ROM actually incorporated parts of the CD standard (I think for audio?). anyways, people found a method of ISO burning so people could burn dreamcast games to any ol' CD ROM and boot it like it was a GD ROM. So basically, no modding necessary what-so-ever to pirate games.
    Actually... that's a bit off in the technical aspects... The fact that GD is in most respects similar to CD has nothing to do with why the system saw so many pirated games. The disc drive can certainly tell the difference between the two discs types... The reason that the Dreamcast saw so many pirated games is because of the fact that Sega left a bit of code in the BIOS that allowed booting from a CD, as long as the binary on the disc was "scrambled". Once the pirates gained that knowledge, that was basically the end for commercial games. Of course, this bit of code in the BIOS is what enabled homebrew on the Dreamcast, so it wasn't all bad news.

When game developers got wind of this, do you think they kept making games for a system where people didn't even have to jump through hoops to pirate their games? I think the fact that sega no longer makes systems answers that question.
    Ah, but you still did have to jump through some hoops, but it was only the people making the initial dump and placing it on the Internet that had to do so. In all honesty though, piracy, while a huge reason that the Dreamcast ultimately died out probably wasn't the main reason. That position belongs to Sony, and its advertising blitz for the PS2. Sega had nowhere near enough money to compete in the advertising arena, and thus it died out. Bad decisions in the later Genesis and Saturn days basically killed the Dreamcast before it was born.
    Sylverant PSO Server
    http://crabemu.sourceforge.net/
    irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev #dcemuuk #yabause #ljsdcdev

Thread Information