Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next PSP (PSP mk2 ?) to get built-in camera, video streaming

Blog Entries

Default Next PSP (PSP mk2 ?) to get built-in camera, video streaming

The next version of Sony's PSP will sport an integrated digital video camera that will allow users to stream live video to the PlayStation 3, according to an anonymous source. The feature, which will utilize the PSP's Wi-Fi support, will be marketed as the new way to chat with friends while on the go.

According to the tipster, the "PSP 2" will also gain the recently rumored NAND flash storage, though the first generation of the new model will only be available with 4GB instead of the 8GB currently speculated. Sony will also trim approximately a quarter of inch from the device, and offer it in three color choices — black, white and silver.

Sources claim that the tiny camera will be an off-the-shelf stock unit that is currently being used in several Sony Ericsson mobile phones, and will also allow users to take still photos, in addition to video. Its placement will be directly below the PSP's screen, where the "PSP" logo can currently be found.

The new PSP's video streaming capabilities will be considered a must-have addition for Sony's upcoming PS3 console. While details are scant at this point, sources say the streaming will be made possible through the upcoming HUB PlayStation service, which will launch alongside the PS3 and compete directly with Microsoft's Xbox Live service.

We'll provide more details as they become available.

Via PSPWorld

Angry

if this is all true then sony doesn't care about the current PSP owners they should at least relese all the applications for the PSP! ....who wants to buy my PSP! (should start to save up for "PSP 2")

DCEmu Legend

How are they going sell the camera, NAND flash and "trim down your PSP" in a box to be incorporated into current PSP's? Its impossible.

Sure they can release a USB camera and get cracking on a 4gb memstick. But I am glad they are releasing a new PSP. I plan on getting one, at least then I will have 2 homebrew able PSPs and 1 UMD game only PSP. Not to mention if I ever want to have some 2 player GTA with my friends who might not have a PSP, just upgrade my 1.5 to 2.0 and I am good to go.

The features of the new PSP sound awesome, but I don't understand why Sony doesn't go the route of the Ipod and throw in a huge hardrive in there. I'd much rather have 60gb at my disposal than 4gb. Its certainly possible to incorporate the same harddrive found in Ipods into the PSP. It might have to be a bit larger but still.

If it wasn't for the game playing abilities, the PSP would have sunk from the competition of Ipod's 60gb capacity.

Oh yeah, keep the good news coming Sony. Is there any chance that the portable version of the CELL chip they've been working on will be ready in time to be incorporated with this? If so, this machine will be killer. As far as I'm concerned, they could just drop out of the whole console rat race all togeather then. Who wants to buy games that keep you chained to your living room, when you could buy something just as good that works anywhere. Anybody who thought Microsoft was getting a leg up on Sony with the 360 needs to think again (!_!) Sony's got the right idea by continuing to aggressively pursue the portable game market.

Quote Originally Posted by F9zDark
    If it wasn't for the game playing abilities, the PSP would have sunk from the competition of Ipod's 60gb capacity.
    I tend to think the game playing abilities are the main point really.

I agree, I stopped using my PSP for music and video when I got the new 60GB iPod. But it is the homebrew scene that makes me prefer the PSP over the iPod. And now some really great UMD games are starting to be released. The PSP is my favorite gadget of all time so far.

I am angry that so soon another PSP will be released. I will definitely want it. Its good having the newest and the best. It just better be backward compatible with current UMD games or forget it.

The important fact remains though that the next iteration of the PSP will surely be much harder to code for in terms of homebrew. Or Sony will implement safeguards to block all of the known exploits. For this reason, the current PSP will not die due to its great homebrew capabilities and loyal following.

I don't care if the new PSP can control satellites, stream to PS3, has a 60GB built in HDD, etc. etc. If it can't play Super Nintendo and Turbo Grafx 16 games, it won't hold the same special value that the current PSP does.

P.S. Heres an idea Sony - Integrate TV/Out & large internal storage and still keep removable storage for extra expandability (4GB & 8GB Pro Duo Memory sticks are supposed to be released at some point this year), then offer copy protected downloads of PSOne classics on the new PSP Connect download service set to release soon and VOILA! You'll experience record breaking $$$'s in sales and may even be able to steal some of the market share from iTunes. Sorry, just thinking rationally. Reality sadly just struck....... :-(

This is great...now I have to plunk down another $300 for a new PSP? Wonderful.

Seriously, this new PSP sounds lamer and lamer with every new rumored feature - they're adding a CAMERA to it? What does that have to do with playing games? Developers can't even make camera specific games because not everyone will have the newer PSP so this is basically a feature that's intended for use with the PS3 (if it's just one of those cameras they put into their phones, it's not much of a camera at all)

PSP is becoming less and less a game machine and more and more a remote control for your PS3 and while the idea is interesting, I don't like the thought that my PSP will be used more for interfacing with my PS3 than for playing games. That and GBA/GameCube didn't really add that much depth to the games.

Oh and umm...I do believe there's still a typo about the whole thing about 4GB (as in 4 GigaBYTES) If the new PSP had 4GB of NAND memory, there's no way it would be getting smaller by an inch since they'd have to put multiple chips in there. It's, again, more likely that it's not 4GB but 4Gb (as in 4 GigaBITS, or 512MB) which is small enough to put into the PSP without too much trouble. That and the fact that 4GB would add like $150 to the price tag alone...I think it's safe to say Sony isn't dumb enough to think anyone would pay $400-500+ for a PS3 remo-ahem PSP.

So now I guess I'm paying 1k+ when the PS3 launches...great. I'd better reserve more PS3s to sell on ebay to make up for it =)

PSP User

This is my dream:
    (inside Sony's development room)
    Quote Originally Posted by Head honcho
    Ok, so we're creating this new PSP that we're going to release sometime after the PS3's launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lackey
    Well, since we're doing that anyway, why not just give the first PSP to the homebrew developers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Head honcho
    Excellent idea! New firmware 5.0 that allows all homebrew!!
    Celebration time!

..........Lol, like that'd ever happen...

DCEmu Newbie

hmmm... launching the ps3 and a new version of the psp around the same time? Sounds like they're trying to create some competition amongst their own company. Or this is just a rumor, which I hope it is because I just bought another psp and I really don't want 500 bucks to go to waste. Another thing that would make this rumor fake is that sony is releasing 4gb and 8gb memory sticks later this year, so why would Sony want to create even more competition amongst their products? I think the average age for gamers are like 18- 25 or something and who really has enough money to buy all that crap? and I know Sony will obiviously know that. Personally, I would be pretty pissed if Sony releases an updated version of the psp after only 1-2 years.

I wonder if sony is going to add full UMD suport for psp1 games?

And i cant wait to see what sony forgets to patch in this one
    he he

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information