Thread: Review: Acekard 2i AK2i DS DSi SLOT-1

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

NDS Review: Acekard 2i AK2i DS DSi SLOT-1

Acekard 2i AK2i DS DSi SLOT-1
    Manufacturer: Acekard
    Site: Buy from DealExtreme / Buy from VolumeRate / Buy from Acekard.ca / Buy from Acekard.ca (+2GB Combo) / Buy from Acekard.ca (+4GB Combo) / Buy from Acekard.ca (+8GB Combo) / Buy from LighTake / Buy from LighTake (Xmas version) / Buy from PriceAngels / Buy from ConsoleSource / Buy from NDSCardSale
    Price: $34.00

Overview : This review is an update to Acekard 2.1 DS MicroSDHC SLOT-1. This review will only discuss the new changes in Acekard 2i as it is practically the same as Acekard 2.1 and Acekard 2.

The Acekard 2i is the same size as an original cart and you don't have to flash your machine or use a passme in order to use it. Support DSi, DSL, IDSL, DS and IDS

Never lost save data - Acekard 2i writes directly to the save file on your MicroSD card. No need to manually select save types nor battery. Save files are compatible with other flash carts. All you need to do is make sure the save file has the same prefix name and put it at the same directory of file. Then you can just run the software to use new save file.

Perfect compatibility - Acekard 2i inherit the best quality of acekard's products. You can just drag and drop software on MicroSD card to run.
    *On first boot it takes some time to create save file. The loader time after save file is created is very fast.

Support Homebrew programs/games - The Acekard 2i is compatible with all homebrew because of the DLDI auto-patcher. You can just copy the homebrews to the MicroSD card and run it. You can use Moonshell, one of the most well known homebrew software on DS, for multi media. Watching movie, listening MP3, reading TXT novel on DS is so easy! Please [download moonshell for AK 2 here].
    Some homebrews need to be put at the root of MicroSD card for best compatibility.

Support SDHC MicroSD card - Acekard 2i support SDHC and offer unlimited space for you. You can copy all you favorite software, songs and movie to one MicroSD card.

Support any brand MicroSD card - Acekard 2i can be meet with any brand of MicroSD card. Do not need to worry about the speed of MicroSD card.

Support Action Reply cheats. Build-in editor - Acekard 2i support Action Replay cheats in .dat, .xml and .cc format. You can select how to use AR cheats by using the build-in editor.

1, Copy AR cheats in .dat or .xml format to /__ak2/cheats. Copy .cc format file to the same directory of ROM.
    2, Press "Y" to popup the editor.
    3, Select "Cheat DB file".
    4, Select the cheat file.
    5, Select "Rebuild".
    6, If you have the cheat code of the game then a list window will be shown. You can use "X" and "Y" to enable or disnable them.
    7, Press "A" to save your changes and enter game for fun.
    acekard2

Built in "Rom Trimming" Function - The Acekard 2i has a "Trimming" Function built in. When you copy a file in the Micro SD , the Acekard 2i. will automatically trim any un-necessary data in a file.

Fully touch screen operation - The Acekard 2's (and R.P.G.) utilizes the idea of the iPhone which gives the customer a totally new control experience.
    * You are able to use "Button Control" as well.

Can be used as a Passme to boot from slot-2 flash cards. Run GBA games by using expand card - The Acekard 2 can be used as a passkey, so you can boot your slot2 flash carts with it.
    AK2 also support 3in1 expansion cart. You can run gba games from MicroSD card directly.

*You need insert MicroSD card with OSMenu to use Passme function.
    *Expansion card sold separately.
    *There is no Slot2 on DSi

Support Multi-language - You can easily change the language within Acekard 2i. There are 8 languages in the firmware, Which are Simple Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, French, Italy, Spanish , Japanese and German. You can modify and replace these languages' text as you wish. They are all in /__ak2/language/.

Support Skin and Dynamic skin change - Acekard 2i use the same skin system of AK RPG. You can easily DIY Acekard 2i skin, and change it at anytime. All the pictures, buttons, text, even their coordinate can be customized. You also can add your own customer text and customer pictures. Same skin different style! You can find [more skins here]. And you can find skin editor at [at here]. You can just copy the folder of skins to "/__ak2/ui/" and enable it from "System Options" at start menu.

Perfect GUI -
    • AK 2 will start in the folder you last ran software from.
    • Every file and folder has an icon in front of the name. Softwares will display their icon directly.
    • Using the simple list view more files will be shown on screen.
    • You can config the scrolling speed and whether to show the hidden files.

Support soft-reset, Download play and WIFI playing - AK 2 support soft-reset whenever you running a software. You can return to AK 2 menu when you're running software by just pressing L+R+A+B+Down. You do not need turn off DS to change softwares. You can disable this function in menu.

Support brightness adjustment

Features :
    • Support DSi, DSL, IDSL, DS and IDS
    • Perfect compatibility. No need to convert, No need to flash.
    • Write save file directly to TF card. No more save type selection.
    • Auto patching DLDI. Run homebrew programs without convert.
    • Support Soft-Reset. Support Download play. Support Wi-Fi.
    • Support microSD and microSDHC microSD card. No maximum file limit.
    • Support Action Replay. Built-in editor.
    • Low power consumption. Long playing time.
    • Easy operation. Support pad and touch screen control.
    • Multi-languages. Support Customize Skin.
    • Support launch slot-2. Support expand package.
    • 4 level brightness adjustment.
    • Support reading text files, listening mp3 and watching movie

Quality/Usability : Remember that this review is an update to Acekard 2.1 DS MicroSDHC SLOT-1. I will not discuss all the features of Acekard but more on what is different and new between Acekard 2i and Acekard 2.1.

I was sent a review sample of Acekard 2i so I am unable to provide any information on the package. But it should look the same as all other previous Acekard 2's packaging. The only thing I can comment is that the cart itself looks like all other Acekard 2's with the only difference being the sticker..slightly. The sticker still has a shiny look to it with "acekard" on it with the letter "i" next to it and a big "2" behind it. Underneath, it says DSi Compatible. The cart no longer uses screws/tabs to hold it in place. Instead, it is glued together.

The cartridge size remains the same and feels sturdy. However, the PCB chip does not protrude out from the sticker anymore. The top feels smooth. The Acekard 2.1 has a spring loaded microSD slot and has clips on the side that holds the casing together.

The Acekard 2i was both tested in a the DS Lite as well as the new DSi. The GUI menu has not changed as it still looks the same like AK2 and Acekard R.P.G. The menu still displays a Slot-2 but we all know that Nintendo has eliminated the GBA slot from the DSi. The top screen displays time, date and calendar while the bottom screens displays game list, options and directories.

The usual menus and options are still there but there are some new additions...

1. Autorun under Patches/Patch Options - This allows you to load the last game you played. You can override this by holding "B" when booting the Acekard 2i.
    2. Shortcut under Properties - This allows you to create a shortcut of the game in the GUI
    3. Backup Save under Properties - You can create up to 6 backup saves in a game

Conclusion : Overall, the Acekard 2i AK2i DS DSi SLOT-1 works just like any Acekards. Whats great is that it works both on DS/DSLite and the new DSi. The GUI looks the same with a few added features. The cart and label looks the same so when you're ordering, make sure it says DSi compatible. The only problem is that we dont know the full potential. You can play current DS games but when new DSi specific games come out or even new updates to the firmware on the DSi, no one will know if this will work. So its only good for now but when new stuff is released, this can be obsolete.

Please note that none of the "upgrade" products listed in this site are endorsed by Nintendo, Sony and/or Microsoft. DCEmu Reviews and DCEmu Network does not condone piracy. The primary functions of a "modchip" and/or "flashcart" are to allow you to play imported games and homebrew software that you legally own or simply just for experimenting with hardware. We in no way endorse piracy, and encourage all users to do the right thing and support the developers/manufacturers that support them. We do not take any responsibilities for any use outside of these parameters or where the use of such a device is illegal.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; March 31st, 2011 at 15:04.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Newbie

ak2i has problems with wi-fi on every homebrew i tried except for beup and osup

DCEmu Newbie

I really like AK2I! I find it helpful and am currently looking for a solid GBA emulator for the AceKard 2i... hint hint!

Thread Information