Thread: Why you think so much failure within the gaming industry?

Default Why you think so much failure within the gaming industry?

Was just thinking about how many failured systems have come out within the gaming industry. Systems like 3DO, Jaguar, Virtual Boy, Saturn, Dreamcast, X-box 360 (mostly in Japan), and maybe even PS3. Seems like a lot of mistakes have happened among giant R&D/marketing companies. Do you think it's more of a deadline rush for companies to become the first with the best? Too advanced for the times/not evolved enough?

whats your guys thoughts?

Dream Coder

Because it's an INDUSTRY. Every industry has faliures. The relative amount is no so more than any other industry.

oh, and I'd watch your mouth on these forums of any posting about the Dreamcast being a faliure
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

lol, from a sales stand point it lost againts its competitor (thous puting the company out of business/forced out of console business). u cant argue that. from a gaming point, it's probably one of the most universal systems out (in regards to gaming/homebrew)

what industries are you refering to?

Dream Coder

any industry. cars, computers, telecom, candy, etc.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

the industry is overdue for another collapse if you ask me, and it probably wouldn't be an awful thing.

Acorn Electron User

I think a purging would be a good thing, but I'd imagine it would hit the smaller and more creative dev teams more that the larger giants like EA.

I don't actual see the game industry as being filled with so much failure anyway. It's become a much more mainstream pastime and is bringing in money comparable to the film industry. Of course some systems will fail commercially, but like Quzar mentioned, this is to be expected.

I think there has been a failure of sorts when it comes to creating truly original titles, but they do come and will continue to - the DC saw some fantastic stuff like Rez & Samba De Amigo. It's just that the more popular gaming becomes the more publishers want to supply to the lowest common denominator. And with the cost of development being so high, you can't really blame them from a business point of view.

Dream Coder

Would like to throw in that all the systems originally mentioned (except the ps3 of course) were great successes. why? YOU"VE HEARD OF THEM. I could find a list of 20+ consoles you've never heard of and probably never will see in your life because all of 15 people ever bought them, 10 of them threw them away because of how bad they were, and the other 5 swore a vow of secrecy to never speak of that horrible horrible thing ever again.

it's just like the whole idea of people asking "what's the worst game of all time?" and whenever someone blindly answers ET for the 2600! makes me wanna hit 'um. I assure you that you have never played the worst game of all time, and neither have I. The worst game of all time probably only sold a few copies and in a 3rd world country.

good feed back coming so far!

yah, I never meant to put down any of the above systems. I think they are all great (except for that 3DO maybe, lol). Just wanted to see why others seemed to prevail over them. It's sad, but sales seems to be what it all boils down to, after all it is what creates the majority of peoples attention and interest.

Thread Information