Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daikatana II for Dreamcast Confirmed a Hoax

Default Daikatana II for Dreamcast Confirmed a Hoax

(info from http://dreamflint.com that nuckles87 learned while talking with one of the producers at the SEGA boards)

The two unofficial sequels to John Romero's ambitous flop make their way to the Dreamcast. Article by nuckles87.

The unofficial sequels to John Romero's ambitious and infamous first person sword game, "Daikatana", have been announced for the Dreamcast by First Person Interactive and Developers United.

After being persuaded by its publisher, Chaos Software, and one of the game designers, Corbin, FPI and DU have decided to make a Dreamcast version of their first games. Currently, only the PC version is planned to see a retail release, while the Dreamcast version will see a limited "underground" release. However, they are looking into other possibilities for distributing the games.

The two games will be very different in nature. Soul Edge (final name to be decided), being developed by FPI, is planned to take more of a first/third person action RPG angle, while Shadowcaster, being developed by DU, is going the exact opposite direction as a pure first person shooter game.

However, despite their different styles of play, both games will share one engine: the Smooth Engine. Indicating some pretty smooth graphics, we can expect graphics out of this game that will blow away most any other DC project since the consoles demise, including Feet of Fury and the Ascension of Vigil. While no screenshots have been released, the developers are hinting at great things.

The PC versions will see a release in Summer 2005. This is when they plan to start development on the Dreamcast version. This will not be a port, mind you. It will be built from the ground up for the Dreamcast to utilize its features and graphics. Among the features this game will support is online play (possibly cross platform with the PC version) and co-op play. Not much else is known about the DC version, except for the fact that it will retail for $15 (as opposed the $35 PC version).

Now, in the area of advritising, FPI and DU plan to launch an internet campaign using the "Sega Scream" slogan, to hopefully capture the hearts of old school Dreamcast fans, and get them to buy it. With any luck, it will work.

The developers have also opened their doors to suggestions from the public. If you would like to comment on their project, or give suggestions, go to this site: http://www.fpinteractive.info/forums. This is serious, Sceners. It is not a hoax.

(Where this originally started http://boards.sega.com/sega/viewtopic.php?t=25752 | Where else I posted about this http://www.setbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic...forum=tiphares )

Default Re: Daikatana II for Dreamcast might be a reality!

[quote author=Saoshyant link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=0#0 date=12/05/04 at 22:25:30]It is not a hoax. [/quote]It is a hoax. I've said it on the Sega boards, and I stick to my claim: I am 100% sure this is a hoax, and I stake my reputation at that claim. It has all the signs of a badly made fake - I'm really surprised that people are falling for this.

This sounds as bogus as the GTAIII DC hoax a while back.

They said that they have the support of Eidos to use the name Daikatana as long as they give some of the profits to them for using their copyrights. That was a big mistake for them to say, as this is easy to check.

I'm going to contact Eidos directly on Monday to see if this is true - which I'm 100% sure it isn't - I'm only doing it to settle this once and for all.

Actually you do good. I am still not sure either, but as you can see not 100% sure it's a hoax as you say. Still I will repeat, you do good... if this would be true would be so f*cking good... Well I will stay in watch to see your post with Eidos' reply and spread it as soon as possible whatever the ending.

Just got a private message from nuckles at the SEGA boards...

"Oh, I am 100% sure that this is true.

However, I am only 40% sure that the project will go gold and become available, looking at the sheer track record of any big Dreamcast project.

It isn't a hoax. I talked to Corbin all last night and he explaine everything. However, he also informed me that I should not hype it up until he has something solid to show the public. FPI will be releasing a tech demo of the "Smooth" engine in early January. That is when I suggest you try to push it. I will be submitting the news to Wraggster myself.

However, if you wish to submit the news yourself now, then by all means, go for it. I answer most questions about it on my Dreamcast-Scene post, like how they got the license, etc. It isn't a hoax.

Thx for showing interest in this obscure game from this obscure developer, mate."

I will be *unavailable for comments* as us Tiphareans like to say... (don't ask)

More info (PM again at the SEGA boards). Btw I think you people aren't going to use me to flame each other, but if you do I tell you to STFU now, now let's go back to business.

"Yeah, Metafox has been screaming that "it's a hoax!" thing for awhile now. I was kind of hoping I had at least convinced him that the project was real, and that the company was just disorganized.

He has absolutely no proof that it is a hoax. He is only basing his accusations on things that are common with upstart developers:

1. Crappy site: His own site, Cyberdog Castle, started out as a two page pile of sh*t, with an ugly inactive forum to boot. He didn't release shots of any games for over six months. The only reason why people believed him was because he was a long time DC vet.

2. Copyrights: Corbin already explained to me how 3Dfx negotiated with Eidos to get the copyrights to the games. And he said that if this parting of the ways with 3Dfx effects the copyright, and they are unable to use the names, they will use different names.

3. Legalities: They are using their own engine, and they supposedly have the copy rights. This game will be hitting retail on PC.

4. History: DKII has goen through a tulmultous history, but it is a real history none the less. Metafox uses the term "ellaborate hoax", but he doesn't seem to realize that NO ONE would post months upon months of posts about how a game is developing, then suddenly announce for DC, just to fool a few DC fans.

DKII was only RECENTLY announced for the DC, and is a PC game first, DC second."

Ok, just posting more to give more background to everyone. $#@! if this is true, we should be helping this project, not taking it down. Still don't hype it, just share info and the truth will come sooner or later.

[quote author=Saoshyant link=board=news;num=1102307130;start=0#4 date=12/06/04 at 00:14:10]he doesn't seem to realize that NO ONE would post months upon months of posts about how a game is developing, then suddenly announce for DC, just to fool a few DC fans.[/quote]Heh, he hasn't been in the dreamcast/emulation "scene" that long has he? :P

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

it sounds like an over the top april fools joke! it would be great if true.... but i'm not holding my breath.

Dream Coder

IF it does come out for PC (which is relatively in question in itself) then ill await the DC release.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

I am curious but dont have the time to read it atm - keep us posted Saoshyant

Heh, well, I'm glad to see people are talking about it...and sure Metafox, do all your homework.
    You don't really think we just started this, do you? Development has been pressing for a year now, and we just recently announced the DC version. These aren't start up projects, as we have done quite a bit of work on them. I am curious, however, that you choose to go the same route as many other people (preferably the DK scene) go...you go around posting trash and generally "assume" that we're full of crap, yet you absolutely have NO evidence of anything. You just follow what the public have said.
    As before, DK2 has had a pretty bad history, but we're on track now, and if you think you're going to stop us with your "research" and "hoax announcements", then you've already been beaten to it. Pretty much every asshole that wanted to hound us down for the past year have gotten it handed straight to them, and I can give you adequate proof that their minds changed. So don't go around saying this crap, that you're "sure". Because, guess what?! Other people were "Sure" as well, and they were shut up before they could utter another word. If you want to try us go ahead -- you're not doing ANTHING NEW, Metafox, AT ALL. We've been through it all, seen it all, heard it all. So you just sit there and try us. With all means, Metafox, try us.
    You can reach me personally at my email address ([email protected]) for more on this, because this is the kind of $#@! that we went through with the first year, and if you can't take this like a grown up or whatever age you preffer, then you need to keep your mouth shut.
    I'm not attacking or insulting you. I would like to talk to you about all this in private, and see what you think after I'm done.
    Like I said, and this goes to EVERYONE here or there, we've been through it all, seen it all, and heard it all. There's absolutely nothing you can do to us to discredit us, because many people in the past have tried and done nothing but failed.
    Anyways, you can find out more information for this PC/DC game at our web forum: http://fpinteractive.info/forums
    Thank you for your time!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information