Thread: What are commercial Roms?

Default What are commercial Roms?

What are commercial Roms?
    and whats the big fuss with them not working
    from my exspierence with the emulator
    not one of the roms has worked
    si whats the difference

DCEmu Newbie

Commercial roms are roms that have been published by companies, and have certain copyright laws on them. These roms must be deleted from your system within 24 hours, unless you own the original game cartridge. Public Domain (PD) roms are made by coders who choose to release they're projects to the public. Many of the PD roms do work on Monkey 64.

That "24 hours" thing is a myth. Commercial roms, regardless of previous ownership or time kept, are illegal, end of story. The only roms that are playable with this emulator at the moment are public domain, meaning they're unprotected by copyright law and therefore legal.

DCEmu Newbie

Mono e Mono.... now don't go sayin that like it is fact....

The thing is it is just a grey area and yea I am inclined to believe 24 hours is just a ploy to make it sound like those types of sites a legit and for many hosting companies they may not look into it as long as it appears to be legit and considering all the xtra mumbo jumbo they through including some Act signed by Billy they do their best making it look legit.

Back to what I was trying to get at, if you own the actual game many see it legal to obtain a backup of whatever media it is, despite it almost undoubtedly is obtained in an illegal manner.

But really it is a grey area, even the emulators are in a grey area, it all depends on who you talk to. However no matter what the law is, they mean absolutely nothing to anyone and everyone if they are not enforced.

Just like the illegal immigrant issue.....why even call them illegals if they aren't going to do a d@mn thing about it? And really it should make any tax payer mad, knowing they are not only stealing our jobs and lowering OUR wages but they are also benifiting in this taxed society without contributing any tax themselves, besides the store tax and maybe not even that if they order online.

Who cares if there not llegal

It takes thousands of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one to shatter it across the highway

Duct Tape is like the force. It has a light and dark side, and it holds the world together

Click here to play my other Flash games and movies!

DCEmu Newbie

Kaiser...don't say that we will persue and sue anyone on nintendo's behalf >:|

lol

*EDIT: d@mn I did not quote you...... yea yea abuse that moderator power there buddy. j/k

Now with Blast Processing! Kaiser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch
    Kaiser...don't say that we will persue and sue anyone on nintendo's behalf >:|

lol

*EDIT: d@mn I did not quote you...... yea yea abuse that moderator power there buddy. j/k
    lol Yeah I took it back just in time.

All i got to say about this topic is everyone should be able to find the roms on there own. N64 roms are pretty common compared to other systems that came out at the time. At least, I have no trouble finding them.

Default To Americans (and some of its to euros so read it)

Quote Originally Posted by MonoLoco
    That "24 hours" thing is a myth. Commercial roms, regardless of previous ownership or time kept, are illegal, end of story. The only roms that are playable with this emulator at the moment are public domain, meaning they're unprotected by copyright law and therefore legal.
    *cough lie cough* sorry, just clearing my imaginary digital throught...

renting games is 100% legal, BIOTCH (just kidding around BTW, abotu the biotch part, your cool, dude!)

and besides, i had a nintendo 64 and about 32 games and then the stove was left unatended... uhuh.... i saved most of my games... but still... so its legal for me to play Majoras mask even though all it is a melted plastic covered micro chip... thing... i have in storage... i can play it all i want!!!! MWHAHAHAA.. I WOULD BE PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW... if my hard drive hadnt been corruped (it was on my 40gb, im using my 260gb)

therefore commercial roms are completely legal for fire folks like me, and those who play for 23.9999999999999999999999999999999 hours

I LOVE commercial roms.. if they take em off the net they'll NEVER get them off torrents!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcemu Patron

Mono e Mono.... now don't go sayin that like it is fact....

The thing is it is just a grey area and yea I am inclined to believe 24 hours is just a ploy to make it sound like those types of sites a legit and for many hosting companies they may not look into it as long as it appears to be legit and considering all the xtra mumbo jumbo they through including some Act signed by Billy they do their best making it look legit.

Back to what I was trying to get at, if you own the actual game many see it legal to obtain a backup of whatever media it is, despite it almost undoubtedly is obtained in an illegal manner.

But really it is a grey area, even the emulators are in a grey area, it all depends on who you talk to. However no matter what the law is, they mean absolutely nothing to anyone and everyone if they are not enforced.

Just like the illegal immigrant issue.....why even call them illegals if they aren't going to do a d@mn thing about it? And really it should make any tax payer mad, knowing they are not only stealing our jobs and lowering OUR wages but they are also benifiting in this taxed society without contributing any tax themselves, besides the store tax and maybe not even that if they order online..
    I'm taking it your british, the way your talking...

In america the laws are different and these website are "legit" in america. And in America there is no "illegal manner" unless you like broke into some ones house to download a commercial rom... THAT would be an "illegal manner" or if you held a gun to someones head and made them burn you some commercial roms onto a disc.. i think that would be an "illegal manner" but in the U.S. to download an EXACT copy of your own game.... 100% LEGAL!!!!

If you ARE an american, then your being stupid... its 100% constitutional to Download commercial roms because YOU run your government... not the other way around!!! if we did the LEGAL thing and took a VOTE... EVERYONE would vote YES to download commercial roms!!!
    (sorry things arn't the same in the UK please dont get offended your country is great too!!!)

and illegal immigrants... i think they're dumb.. why dont they just like "sign in" at the border or whatever.. i dunno, i think your pretty much right about that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser
    At least, I have no trouble finding them.
    AHAHAHAAHHAAHA NIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Recheck your copyright laws on the games you buy. As long as that copyright is valid, it is illegal to do anything that goes against that copyright.

I am also assuming that downloading copyrighted games is illegal regardless if you own it or not since you have not made a copy yourself for backup purposes. This part however is an extremely grey area.

Quote Originally Posted by yaustar
    Recheck your copyright laws on the games you buy. As long as that copyright is valid, it is illegal to do anything that goes against that copyright.

I am also assuming that downloading copyrighted games is illegal regardless if you own it or not since you have not made a copy yourself for backup purposes. This part however is an extremely grey area.
    i can tell your an american by your hypocrisy and YOUR knowledge of copyright (yet your not as bad as those people who are like "i dont know what a rom is, so im saying its bad to "downgode" 'em 'n whut nut")

you said "I am also assuming that downloading copyrighted games is illegal regardless if you own it or not" i dont know if you know the definition of "copyright" and "own" but you should look them up... ok? thx!

EDIT: im going to quote you once more "I am also assuming that downloading copyrighted games is illegal regardless if you own it"

TELL THAT TO THE PEOPLE THAT MADE STEAM!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information