Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Texture Update !! (News Mar 15th)

PSP Coder

Quote Originally Posted by glitch
    I was thinking though someone said like roms that are 256mbit will not run? Surely the psp has more than 32mbs of ram? I'd imagine it having 64mbs......?
    PSP has 32MB of main ram period. About 8MB is lost to the Kernal. So an app has about 24MB to work with. 4MB of that 24MB is taken up by the n64 DRam (main ram). Another 2 megs are lost to buffers, registers and other memory chunks (DMEM/IMEM). So I only have enough space to store a 16MB rom. Zelda is 32MB and would not even fit from the start.

I answered this in the other topic for you.

DCEmu Newbie

if it was just possible to extract the data in the n64 roms so that only the necassary files load into the ram then it would probably work......

hmmm...... would any of these tools allow you to disassemble a n64 rom and then via your emulator would you be able to actually execute the parts and load just the correct files into the ram at the right time and unload files as they are no longer being used in the ram?

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/n64dev.html

I also supose there would be no way of compressing the files highly since it will probably be decompressed before the emu tries executing it? yep short of soldering on an extra 32mb chip, guess we're screwed when it comes to some games?

PSP Coder

Quote Originally Posted by glitch
    if it was just possible to extract the data in the n64 roms so that only the necassary files load into the ram then it would probably work......

hmmm...... would any of these tools allow you to disassemble a n64 rom and then via your emulator would you be able to actually execute the parts and load just the correct files into the ram at the right time and unload files as they are no longer being used in the ram?

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/n64dev.html

I also supose there would be no way of compressing the files highly since it will probably be decompressed before the emu tries executing it? yep short of soldering on an extra 32mb chip, guess we're screwed when it comes to some games?
    We are not screwed just people have to give me time to figure it all out. I have some ideas but I need to do other stuff first before caring (we cant even run mario yet). Anyways the link you gave does not have anything useful.

I think psmonkey should just plan on getting the emulator running commerial roms at goods speeds, then he could worry about the size issue. Even if the size issue isnt taken care of, monkey64 would be one of the greatest achievments on the psp so far.

--  #5 --
    -- Claimed by michael chan --

WOW! In just a week it goes from squares to glitched up pics !!!!!!!!!!!! Thats some fast progress, and PSmonkey you'll figure out something with the rom file sizes being larger than the PSPs memory Good work! If monkey64 progessed that far in just one week I bet (not really a bet cuz I just spent my last $10 to put Super Princess Peach and Mario & Luigi: Partners in time on Layaway at Wal-Mart , I really need a job, but I can't get one until I get my licesnes, btw I'm 15 and don't have my learners yet, not till July) that in 2 weeks max, PSmonkey will have Super Mario 64, Bust a Move 2, and/or one of the Mortal Kombat games with fully working textures and maybe more!

It takes thousands of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one to shatter it across the highway

Duct Tape is like the force. It has a light and dark side, and it holds the world together

Click here to play my other Flash games and movies!

DCEmu Newbie

just a thought, since we are talking about size, might i suggest http://www.bzip.org/

compress the roms to a .bz2 and have the emulator stream the rom's parts when they need it, kinda like higher level emulation. Its probably not do able, would most likely take up too much of the psp's memory. But i have seen 40mb files compressed to 18 mb files using this program. There may still be hope for zelda or sin and punishment .

And nice work PSmonkey, i can't wait till its working

DCEmu Newbie

....suck up.... wasn't PSmonkeys original s/n Infernix2600...I think it was lol. j/k

yea bzip does some wicked compressions, specailly for psx iso's. I have used it for my pda so I can run some psx games. My pda btw runs at 400mhz so yea psx can be fully playable from what I can tell from playing games such as twisted metal 1-4 on my pda at playable framerates. And that is just raw cpu, no gpu on pda's to speak of really. And I can't forget pepsi-man that is a really fun psx game.... just wish it had save state....

But also data on psx games normally are not compress or compressed much before hand, due to the huge 700mb that had back in the day storage on that console was a non issue......well ok FF is the exception. But for the most part that is way psx iso's can compress so well, especailly the gameshark iso, it has a huge dummy file, uncompressed iso is like 400mb and compressed iso is like 4mb seriously.

And it is quite amazing at how much the n64 devs were able to compress things, I mean a game of mario 64's calliber on the psx would not have been anywhere close to 16mb or even 100mb, I think we'd be looking at 400mb if not more. I mean a game with crappy textures and pixellated characters(aka dbz legends) on the psx took up over 200mbs.

sorry PSmonkey, that I got your Texture thread off topic bout all this compressing stuff, but we are obviously grateful for the update and so fast, I just can't wait til the weekend =) and the week after that. And I completely understand that is too early to give it much thought at this point, but yea everyone is just excited to see what this will bring us in the future. Honestly I think we all wish we could actually contribute something to your quest of coding, and I just wish I would have taken the time to learn programming during my school years, that is one thing on my list to do while going to college however, maybe in a year or so things will be different and I might be able to do something useful. Just right now I am getting me some basics at a local college, the instructors are idiots -.- if I took any technical classes from them I dunno what I'd do, yea I'd definitely learn it but they wouldn't be of much help.

you would need another method of loading

DCEmu Newbie

bla bla bla... but we will never play in MARIO 64 or MARIO KART ;( (in minimum 30fps) błee;/

DCEmu Newbie

This is Awesome news psmonkey!!

i check ur site everyday to see how the progress is going and im very impressed. i have 2 questions though. 1.can u give a rough estimate of when ur next release would be?

2.wat are your goals for the next release.(im sure everyone is dieing to know)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information