Thread: PSP Rumours Disected

Blog Entries

Question PSP Rumours Disected

Our friends at PSP Vault have posted a great article that blows apart some of the recent PSP Rumours, heres the newspost:

<blockquote>
    Now that the Playstation Business Meeting has come to a close, and Sony has publicized their plans for the PSP this year, we've finally gotten some closure on a number of rumors about the PSP. From the "PSP2" to a Sony-branded TV adapter for the PSP, this article provides you with everything you need to know about the status of various PSP rumors that have been flying around the internet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumor: PSP2
    Rumor Source(s): PSPworld, Ain't It Cool News
    Rumor Status: FALSE

The rumor was specific: before the end of the year, Sony would introduce a "PSP2" with 4GB of integrated memory and a video camera. A source named "Proteus" even confirmed to Aintitcool.com that the PSP2 would be available around Christmas of this year.

Now that Sony has announced their plans for the PSP in 2006, it's blatantly obvious that these plans do NOT include a "PSP2" in any way, shape, or form. Sony's announcement of a camera attachment for the existing PSP pretty much denies any allegations that the company would be introducing a new PSP with an integrated camera. Furthermore, now that the PS3 has been delayed until November of this year, it would nearly impossible for the company to also introduce some sort of new PSP around the same period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumor: 3.00 Firmware
    Rumor Source(s): PSP3D, yourpsp.com
    Rumor Status: FALSE

Rumors of what would be in firmware version 3.00 of the PSP quickly spread to a wide variety of tech and PSP websites. PSP3D originally posted some rather cryptic pictures of what was supposedly firmware version 3.00, which we here at PSP-Vault determined to be at least somewhat probable. Shortly after this, a user named katjana posted even more pictures on the yourpsp.com forums of what was supposedly coming: "Sony Mail," "Sony Organiser," "Console Security," and so on.

Even if we were to ignore the followup thread posted by katjana, we would still be able to determine this rumor is false. Sony has laid out their plans for the upcoming three firmware versions of the PSP; none of these contain any kind of organizer-type features.

Rumor: DLNA client
    Rumor Source(s): PSP-Vault
    Rumor Status: UNKNOWN

In the process of verifying the authenticity of the rumored "3.00 firmware" pics, I stumbled across some information from this year's Consumer Electronics Show. Sony conducted a low-key demonstration of a "DLNA client" for the PSP.

It was therefore my prediction that Sony would be introducing a DLNA client for the PSP, which I later calculated would be available in October of this year.

Sony's roadmap for the next three firmware updates do not make any specific mention of a DLNA client. However, there IS a firmware update slated for October (or later) which contains "Network support." Sony made no mention of the meaning of this during their presentation. Could this be a PSP DLNA client?

Rumor: Macromedia Flash support
    Rumor Source(s): PSP-Vault, conjecture
    Rumor Status: TRUE

Ever since we here at PSP-Vault first realized the PSP's integrated browser can support Macromedia Flash, we've predicted Sony would at some point add it.

And now they've announced just that. Macromedia Flash support is scheduled for the next firmware update.

Rumor: PS3 as a wireless access point
    Rumor Source(s): Unknown

I can't remember where the news came from, but there were rumors that the PS3 would be able to act as a wireless access point for the PSP. Regardless of the source, Sony indicated at the Playstation Business Meeting that the PS3 will contain this very function.

Rumor: GPS accessory
    Rumor Source(s): PSM

PSM was the first to determine the PSP would receive a GPS accessory and e-mail functionality during 2006.

Even before the PSP was released, Sony had publicized a GPS accessory inserted into the USB port of the PSP. It seemed like a no-brainer when Minna no Chizu was announced.

Now that we know the PSP will be getting a USB GPS receiver during 2006, we know PSM was right about at least half of their prediction.

Rumor: E-mail service
    Rumor Source(s): PSM

The other half of PSM's prediction is yet to be proven. During the Playstation Business Meeting, Sony made no specific mention of an e-mail service for the PSP. However, they did announce a Voice-over-IP service, in addition to a video chat service. The PS3 will feature e-mail functionality in the newly announced Playstation Network, so there's still a possibility Sony will somehow integrate this service with the PSP.

Rumor: Camera accessory
    Rumor Source(s): Sony Europe

In the United Kingdom, Sony has putting up advertisements with "lifestyle" type messages advertising the various features of the PSP. One of the messages indicated that the PSP offered some sort of camera functionality, so it was the assumption that the PSP would indeed be getting a camera accessory.

Though Sony did confirm an EyeToy for PSP at the Playstation Business Meeting, there are not many details available just yet. Furthermore, the camera won't be available until September of this year -- it's odd that there would be advertisements about the accessory when it won't even exist for another 6 months. Still, this is one rumor that turned out to be true.

Rumor: Sony-branded PSP on TV adapter
    Rumor Source(s): Variety.com

Variety posted an article about the failure that is UMD-Video. In the article, they claimed that Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment America were working to introduce a "PSP on TV" adapter in an effort to boost sales of UMD-Video.

There was no indication during the Playstation Business Meeting that Sony had this kind of accessory in their plans, but I think it's important to point out a small discrepancy -- the adapter is supposedly bring worked on by Sony Computer Entertainment America, not Sony Computer Entertainment International, who conducted the Business Meeting. Does this mean the adapter will be an America-only product? We'll just have to wait and find out.
    </blockquote>

Comments thoughts, lets hear them

:P Very interesting news. Certainly clears up a lot.

im so glad that psp2 is fake
    so i dont have to buy it

I know, i was getting worried because i didnt want to buy a whole new psp when ive only had mine for less than 6 months.

If flash support is good, that will entice me to upgrade. Flash cartoons and games would fill my memory stick. GPS looks promising too, if they partner with a good company for their mapping program.

PSP User

Yeah, flash will be awesome. Lots of potential for psp-specific flash games.

But I'm more excited about official PSone emulation. If they price the games reasonably ($5 or so) I can see upgrading my firmware from 2.0 even if I do lose SNES, Genesis and Homebrew in the process (I don't own GTA so I'm not keen on paying $50 to keep homebrew). PSmonkey's N64 emulation would definitely be worth staying at 2.0, or even downgrading to 1.5, so it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkster
    im so glad that psp2 is fake
    so i dont have to buy it
    Im not... I would have rather had them release a PSP 2 with Flash and a camera and such than release it for the PSP so that i didnt have to buy another PSP and look stupid just because sony wants to play gay and not let me play homebrew if i update!!

If a Flash player AND a playstation 1 emu comes out next firmware... im going to Update... if a keyboard and Microsoft Word type program is released on top of that... bye bye homebrew... hello the improvement of my future career and current education!!!

Sony will find a way for customers to pay extra to get proper use out of the PSone emulator. They've got to, it's just how they seem to operate. Ill probably keep my firmware at 2.6 incase I get ripped off again. By the time the next firmware is released the homebrew PSone emulator will be ready, or near completion. Then again Sony might just be doing something nice for it's customers. Right? Hmm...

@Redking14CA

I don't see how owning 2 PSP's would make you look stupid. I own a US 1.5 black and a japanese white 2.6 psp. Most people are very impressed whenever I pull out the white one. Anyways by admititing you use xFire you're already making yourself look stupid.

Thread Information