Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ur-Quan Masters 0.5.0 - PSP Port Rev 001

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MaxDemian
    If all you naggers out there want it so bad, pick up a C++ book and learn for yoursevles.
    This guy's been kind enough to lend some time to go this far, whether it be for the purpose of entertainment or just a proof of concept. Far as I'm concerned he's done more than enough, hell I was excited just to see a port of this amazing game exsisted, if anyone takes it to completion that's all the better.

So thankyou Sharkus, thankyou very much. If I had the time managment skills and a knowledge of code I would help out, but as it stands I'm but a humble designer, but hey if ya need some graphics done, feel free to flick me a mail

<-------------B!tch session ends here

Cheers all.
    Firstly, everyone has already aknowledged and praised Sharkus for his efforts with the port. Secondly, no one is bitching about whether or not Sharkus decided to do this as a full port/proof of concept/whatever. What I personally am COMMENTING on (note theres a difference between voicing your concern and bitching) is the sudden disapearance. The last thing he said was something about a new release "in a few days". Which was over a month ago now. What happened? Why doesn't he come on here and at least tell us "Hi guys, sorry I was away because X reason", or "Hi guys it took a long time but I have a new version", or "screw you ***s, I don't want to work on this anymore" whatever.

Just a simple status update to figure out if Sharkus is even still alive...

One more thing... Your comment about coding is just dumb... For so many reasons, the biggest of which is the fact that we DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE CODE... duh. The sourceforge repository does not contain ANY of the PSP specific code that Sharkus wrote, and he didn't attach it to the thread... So the only option is to start at the beginning with the platform independant code and port it to PSP from scratch... And if anyone here could do that, we probably would have done it already.

I appoligize for deserting everyone... As a very brief explaination:

1. I went on vacation
    2. I got a promotion at work
    3. I purchased a Xbox 360
    4. I'm having my 4th child in two months so my wife needs more attention than normal

Add all those together, and the sum is that I haven't had any time to play with my PSP in a long while...

If anyone is interested continuing the development, the rev 002 version contains a patch file with all of the diff's for the 0.5.0 UQM source to build for PSP.

After I released 002, I also fixed a minor issue in the psp libc (made malloc and free thread safe) and increased the stack size in the SDL library to prevent a stack overflow. Unfortunately, there are still some other stability issues that I haven't tracked down.

-Sharkus

Ah, good to see Sharkus is alive and well. Wanted to say thanks for starting such a cool project- whether you or somebody else picks up the reigns to finish it, you started something great.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by sharkus
    I appoligize for deserting everyone... As a very brief explaination:

1. I went on vacation
    2. I got a promotion at work
    3. I purchased a Xbox 360
    4. I'm having my 4th child in two months so my wife needs more attention than normal

Add all those together, and the sum is that I haven't had any time to play with my PSP in a long while...

If anyone is interested continuing the development, the rev 002 version contains a patch file with all of the diff's for the 0.5.0 UQM source to build for PSP.

After I released 002, I also fixed a minor issue in the psp libc (made malloc and free thread safe) and increased the stack size in the SDL library to prevent a stack overflow. Unfortunately, there are still some other stability issues that I haven't tracked down.

-Sharkus
    Welcome back Sharkus! Thank you for giving us a status update. By the way, a big congratulations on your promotion and on your future child.

It is totally understandable that you don't have any time to continue the development on this, and I respect that.

I have no experience in PSP coding, however I've worked as a C/C++ developer for over 3 years now, and would be very interested in taking a shot at continuing the development of UM if you are willing to hand it over to me!

Feel free to get started. There is a bit of a learning curve but it is fun to get your feet wet with embedded development...

If you want to get started you need to download the PSP development environment from http://ps2dev.org/ (along with SDL, SDL_image, zlib, libpng, libjpeg) and use the patch file from the 002 release to patch the UQM source code.

I recommend using Linux as your development platform as I've found that it builds much faster than cygwin. I also recommend using psplink for running the executable during debug cycles...

I did some additional work on trying to narrow down the remaining stability issues and load performance. I wrote a simple read cache for stdio access, but this seemed to do very little to improve performance. Also, it stability issue is very difficult as it takes quite some time to happen and there is very little data available...

Blog Entries

Congrats on the 4th Child, you and the wife will have plenty to do

Had a bit of time to make some improvements. Things should be considerably more stable now... Grab the latest from the first post in this topic. Have fun!

-Sharkus

DCEmu Newbie

And thank You again for this great port. This 3rd revision is realy more stable now, have been played a lot before first crash. Great job!!!

DCEmu Newbie

Thank you very much Sharkus for the 3rd rev, your doing some really great work on this, just want to let you know that there are people out here who really appreciate what you have done, and we get a lot of satisfaction playing this old classic again as a direct result of your efforts! Big pat on that back for you my friend!

The only problem I'm still having with the port appears as a result of coming out of sleep mode... Once the PSP has been to sleep and come back, it appears that any planets you visit no longer appear in the viewer... Almost as though the texture isnt being drawn and theres just a "black" sphere where the planet is supposed to be. Same thing happens in the scan-view area, and if you dispatch to the planet.

DCEmu Newbie

Talking

I haven't gotten around to trying this out yet, but I stumbled upon this thread while I was reading up on all the PSP homebrew and I have to say...
    THANK YOU for doing the work on porting this!

I understand if real life interferes with you continuing work on this.

Star Control II has always been one of my favorite games of all time. The intriguing story line and the massive nature of the game is unique and is part of what makes the game so great. I've played all the way through it back in the day, but after I heard about the Ur-Quan Masters project for the PC, I started playing it again. I can't wait to load up this portable version of it. Even if it has some bugs, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

Thanks again.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information