Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a development machine of DC?

Default Is this a development machine of DC?

Can not this thing be got at present? If can get, how much does it want $?

Sustain , can only use on that computer permitted in that piece that ask down , pursuing in addition?

Yeah that looks like the dev pc and i think someone once bought one on ebay for $750 though it could be different know, if you can find one.

last 1 i saw was 100bux

DCEmu Pro

$100 an it comes with visual C++, worth it entirely i'd say.

Dream Coder

The cheapest I've ever seen one go was 300. I watch fairly closely because I lost my chance to have a Set 4 (that one in particular is a set 5 with the GD burner) for 150 and gave it up. The GD-Rom usually doesn't come with it and can sell for as much as 300-400 on it's own as well.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Rookie

yeah it's a developers machine. i saw the exact same pictures on a website that even offered to download the manuals. very interesting to read those, although they're very technical and only of good use for coders

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    (that one in particular is a set 5 with the GD burner)
    although having a gd-burner is quite cool, you'd need to have gd-r's to burn. do you know where to get these?

Yep, that's a Dreamcast Dev Box up theres. Where were you guys when there was a Katana GD-Writer on eBay with a blank GD-R? *cries*

There's currently a Dev box on eBay, but these things may end up quite pricey...

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Mark30001
    Yep, that's a Dreamcast Dev Box up theres. Where were you guys when there was a Katana GD-Writer on eBay with a blank GD-R? *cries*

There's currently a Dev box on eBay, but these things may end up quite pricey...
    only one gd-r? nice, but still pretty useless if you can't get more

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sega-Naomi-GD-ROM...QQcmdZViewItem

i dont fully know what that is, can someone tell me?

Dream Coder

The Naomi was the arcade hardware that paralelled the Dreamcast. The original Naomi used cartridges (for faster loading times) and had 2x the main memory, 2x the graphics memory and 4x the sound memory(because it didn't have streaming disc sound like the Dreamcast).

What you have there is the GD-ROM attachment with the DIMM board. After a few years they started releasing games on GD-ROMs. In order to get this to work, you attached the DIMM board onto the cartridge interface, then the GD-ROM to that. The DIMM board had inside of up a bunch of banks of ram (Dual Inline Memory Modules) similar to the ram in a PC, as well as a hardware key that was used for copy protection. When the machine booted up, it would read the GD-ROM once and copy it entirely into the ram, that way, both the disc and the read assembly would have MANY times their normal lifespan (most DCs have failed by now due to the gd-rom, imagine if it was on 24/7 in an arcade).

It's not really too rare, as it's still being used in the arcades today. More of a practical, than collectors item.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information