Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP Go lacks mini USB, compatibility with existing accessories, common sense

Blog Entries

psp PSP Go lacks mini USB, compatibility with existing accessories, common sense

Confession time: we weren't exactly charmed by Sony's PSP Go when Sony made the thing official. It's not that we're particularly fond of UMD (quite the contrary as a matter of fact), rather we found it a little hard to stomach a slimmer device that offers nearly the same hardware as its predecessor, swapping an optical drive for more storage, yet will cost nearly twice as much. Factor in the cost of all new accessories and things get even less appealing, with confirmation that the Go lacks a standard mini USB port on top, meaning things like PSP keyboards and Sony's GPS accessory are on a fast-track to obsolescence. Even current A/V cables and chargers won't work thanks to a new multifunction port on the base -- but Sony will be quite happy to sell you new ones. Is this the price of progress, or an attempt to boost profit margins? It's not good news for gamers, regardless.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/p...accessories-c/

yea didnt see that coming

DCEmu Newbie

Yes, the SONY boosting a profit from any possible way,

Standard Sony practice really... yet another proprietary format that nobody wants or asked for.

Okay that takes the mick, having no mini USB port is a big fail. Yet another reason not to get the PSP Go.

I think Sony was good with the Ps1,2 & 3 with making games and accessories interchangeable, but this is just blatant profit mongering.

DCEmu Rookie

I predict it will drop to $200 soon.

DCEmu Rookie

i will still be getting a go.

the price point does not bother me seeing as i bought my psp1k back at launch.

my nub is broken... well, something for it is, i have replaced the little joystick assembly, still tracks down and to the left :/

so i need a new psp, but i couldn't bring myself to buy a 2k or 3k... i just saw no reason to get one of those when i basically already bought them but a little thicker.

now, just because i'm getting a go doesnt mean i agree with what sony is doing

infact, i hate what sony is doing.... once again making a proprietary interface to smosh compatibility and help them make more money

but, other than that port problem... i think the go is solid personally.
    i never really had many accessories for my first psp, so i'm fine there

i just want my smaller form factor (fit in my pocket plz), bluetooth, and 16 gigs internal with a slot still...

if its never cracked for CFW (needs mah emulatorrzzzzzzz etccc)
    i'll just live with it and get cool stuff off PSN

DCEmu Newbie

If it both charges and transfers data from the one port, then I would at least be pacified somewhat. I don't see any cables to run between the AC adapter and the PSP Go, so I assume the AC adapter has a USB port on it.

Anyone know if it uses the same power port as the good PSP line?

ah nevermind, im not spending more than a xbox 360 on the same thing i already have, and therefore do not have any worries about plopping down another 200 for cables
    Last edited by osgeld; June 8th, 2009 at 22:48.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information