Thread: Commodore 64 for iPhone Submitted to App Store - Apple Rejected it

DCEmu Newbie

ipod Commodore 64 for iPhone Submitted to App Store - Apple Rejected it

Hey all,

in case you're all interested, we ported an emulator to the iPhone and submitted it to Apple for approval; however, it was rejected. Any support you show would be greatly appreciated!

touchArcade and pocketgamer

Cheers,

Stu

Heres the newspost from Link above

iPhone developer Manomio has been secretly working on a major App Store project for the past year that has just been completed, but may never see the light of day in its current form. Readers may remember Manomio as the developer behind the iPhone version of classic game Flashback. Manomio's slogan is "In Retro We Trust" and their mission statement is to bring classic game titles to the leading handheld devices such as the iPhone.

What Manomio has done is to create a fully licensed Commodore 64 emulator for the iPhone that can play classic games and even run Commodore 64 BASIC. The full list of features are as follows:

Full speed, Commodore 64 emulator
    SID sound emulation
    Auto-save, to continue exactly where you left off
    Realistic joystick and beautifully crafted C64 keyboard
    Portrait and Landscape play
    Vertical and Fullscreen gaming (auto rotate for iPod users)
    Did I mention it was legally licensed?

Despite some initial work on the project last year, Manomio had originally decided to abandon the project due two main reasons. 1) a lack of licensing rights for the Commodore 64 and 2) the question of whether or not an emulator would be allowed in the App Store.

Manomio, however, ended up connecting with Kiloo Aps who happens to own the license for the Commodore 64 and ultimately managed to sign the proper deals with both Kiloo and Commodore Gaming.

Manomio then contacted Apple Europe in the UK and detailed what they were planning to accomplish and according to Manomio's CEO Brian Lyscarz, "Apple seemed really excited" and so he felt safe that they would sanction the final app. With that assurance in hand, Manomio proceeded to secure the necessary licensing from individual publishers and finalize work on this major project.

It all came to a head last week, however, when Manomio confidently submitted C64 for iPhone along with 3 individual gamepacks (officially licensed) to use along with the emulator. All seemed fine until Manomio received the dreaded App Store rejection email:

Thank you for submitting C64 1.0 to the App Store. We've reviewed C64 1.0 and determined that we cannot post this version of your iPhone application to the App Store because it violates the iPhone SDK Agreement; "3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s)."

As originally feared, Apple had rejected their app based on the SDK clause specifically prohibiting interpreted or executable code.

Even aside from Apple Europe's early assurance, Lyscarz pointed out to us that there are a number of apps in the App Store that do exactly the same thing from CHIP-8 emulator, programmable calculators and, of course, Frotz, a Z-machine interpreter. Lyscarz is understandably frustrated with the process after having spent so much of his company's time and money into the project. Lyscarz continues to hope that C64 might still be approved.

Here's a video of the game in action. Not all the games shown would be included in the initial launch, but Manomio hopes to eventually obtain licensing for these games as well.

Smile

:thumbup:

Greattttttt JOBBBBB !

I want this.

I hope to see a day, an emulator Amstrad for ipod touch...

Blog Entries

i cant see any emulator ever being okd by apple, best place to see would be on cydia i reckon

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster View Post
    i cant see any emulator ever being okd by apple, best place to see would be on cydia i reckon
    yes, I think the similar.

cross fingers

DCEmu Regular

Damn I like the interface!!!

DCEmu Newbie

Default Recommand!! AppStore API - retrieve information from AppStore

Today I am Searching for an application which extract data from Apple Store and i found this
    APPLE IPHONE APPSTORE API.This API isto retrieve information from App Store. With help of App Store API you can download all applications

information along with their developer, description, images and so on.

Get access to all categories

Books
    Business
    Education
    Entertainment
    Finance
    Games
    Action
    Adventure
    Healthcare & Fitness

and so on.

Store all fields available in AppStore like:
    Application ID, Name, Seller, Category, Developer, Release Date, Price, Description and so on. Export

information to CSV, XML or other formats.

Before I Buy its Lifetime Support i want like to hear for you people

Check it and tell me about it!!

Thread Information