Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #2)

Thumbs up Thanx for the link :)

Quote Originally Posted by geise69
    I first got into emulation around 96. I had the very first Mac PowerPC. It was (i think) a 133mhz machine. I first was playing gameboy sega master system, pc-engine early MAME, and nes stuff. A month later a SNES emulator was released and it eventually turned into snes9x. Then I found emulation.net for mac useres and the vintage gaming network which I believe used to be DavesClassics. For finding games the best place at the time was The Dump. It had such a good supply of games. Getting a windows 95 computer in 97 and playing MagicEngine for the first time was and still is my favorite moment in emulation. Popping in Ys and Lords of Thunder for the first time and having them play pretty much perfect was a dream come true. I loved playing it on my real turbo duo but it just looked better to me on a PC monitor. Also I'm with b8a on the whole 3D game thing. There's some games that are 3d that I love but ever since I bought my Saturn, PSX, and newer systems there always just seemed something missing. There still is something missing. It's like playing all the old FF or Castlevania games and then playing the new ones. It's just not the same. Same goes for Metriod and holy $#@!...Contra. I guess I'm just getting old.

As for homebrew, I didn't get into homebrew till I bought my Japanese Dreamcast. Actually it was a bit after I bought my DC that I found the homebrew scene. Man the DC homebrew scene was and still is amazing. I never would've believed my dreamcast could do the things that the coders have made it do. Which seems kinda funny since I was playing emulators on an old ass Mac PPC. Anyways that's how I got into everything.

Also hey Shadowprophet here is a link that will bring back some memories for you (if you haven't seen this site yet.) http://www.c64-hof.com/
    I hadnt seen this place before, I bookied it

(I think Homebrew will continue to become a stronger force With the riseing costs of development and the anal $#@!ings of the current market aimed as us so called (Hard core gamers, ie Suckers with money )
    I realize Everyone here is a huge fan of comercial gameing.
    But that does not excise the riseing costs of development.
    Just look, The price of consoles slowly had been riseing since the nes days. But ever so gently.
    Games on the other hand has managed to stay in the same price range since Those days,
    remember back in the nes days. As I recall in its prime a good nes game was about a $50 spot.
    and that trend continued on to the snes. with the exception of the riseing cost of memory for a short time before cds became a popular format.
    I remember paying $80 somthing dollars for phantasy star 4 and street fighter 2, turbo champ edition.
    Then the psone came along and games where still $50, yet cds where supposed to be a cheaper format, Hmmm.. Where did this benifit the gamer, The answer. it never did

And now the price of games is going up another 25$ dollars,
    And yeah So what, We can afford it.
    That doesnt me its fair and we should be happy about it

And not to mention. Weather people have the money to pay these inflated prices or not. Doesnt mean people are stupid enough to pay them.
    Yes i know people are adicted to console gameing and no matter what the price this generation. Its going to take more then a little inflation to scare the hard core gamer away.
    But thats exactly what the big wigs are counting on.

However. I see a time, in the near future, when homebrew will garner the respect it deserves.
    The scene is growing and while one branch may be suffering, Another will just come along and fill that spot.
    psp, or x-box, or ps3, or whatever, Homebrew is a community of its own now.
    And the coders ( some of them have skills that even exceed. comercial expectations)

I see a bright future for homebrew.
    I only hope the green eyed monster doesnt infect this scene like it has its comercial cousin.

Time will tell.
    Peace out peeps.
    ShadowP

well simple questions warrent simple anwers.....DCEMU and the dreamcast boot disc was my first hb project and here i am back at the network years later and a contributing member of our gr8 communiy so no matter how superficial it sounds....my answer is dcemu!!!

What got you interested in the Homebrew and Emulation Scene ?

Stumbling onto Genecyst & Nesticle did it for me I think, it was a long time ago, I remember playing with my Nesticles a lot. That got me interested in what else could be done which lead me to no$gb, Mame, Final Burn, Snes9x, ZSnes, ZX32 etc.. all regaining my lost youth (though I did lose the time again playing on the emulators so I guess I lost it twice really). It wasnt too long after this that I started doing news at the then Daves Arcade Classics later of course renamed to vintage gaming news which just furthered my emulation interests as I found a few new emulators I didnt know of before.

At some point during that time I got myself a DC & wandered to dcemulation discovering a nice new way to emulate sitting in front of my telly, much more comfy than at the PC, with gnuboy, pcsxdc & a genesis emulator I wont name (I was tempted & fell prey to it) among the emulators that had me hooked to my DC for quite some time when I wasnt enjoying Soul Calibur & the rest fo the great games.

In more recent times I'm keeping my interest with emulation on my Xbox & PC as well as my news duties over at EmuHQ & see no sign of it stopping. As long as I can relive my younger days & enjoy doing so I shall, now excuse me while I nip off for some How to be a Complete Ba**ard on my Speccy emulator.

as with hawq I would say nesticle and genecyst and also callus the old csps1 emu. All of which had the same author if memory serves me right...that was about 8 or 9 years ago though.

Yup Bloodlust software, how could I forget Callus in my post? SF2 on my PC was a big thing, Kong or Godzilla big at the time

What got you interested in the Homebrew and Emulation Scene ?
    NES emulation on PC to start with, but there's nothing like a console so I started with hacks, homebrew, and Emu's on the Playstayion, I stumbled on the DC scene whilst browsing the net looking for info on the PSX GB Emu.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

well it started in dec 2001, when i joined boob.co.uk, i was amazed about all this cool stuff for the dreamcast, that none of the mags covered. after a few months i also joined consolevision.com. i was actully folloing the scene for over 6 month be for i got to try homebrew, as i have no cd burner!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information