Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The DCEmu Network Public Interview (Question #6) What System Will Win the War ?

psp will win the handheld war in the long run mainly because of homebrew and the features which should go on it. If sony make the right moves aka bring out some good games and a keyboard etc i think it will outsell the ds easily.

Next gen consoles wise i'm backing ps3 atm. The main reason for this is i like my rpg games on a console and xbox dont seem to have alot of them + I have a decent gaming pc so my fps's and rts's are bought on that. Well ill be buying a ps3 and a revolution propably because the revolution will just be fun.

Handhelds

PSP by far, best graphics, homebrew, movies, accesories, mp3's, photos and everything else thats great about it

Consoles

PS3....because like a lot of people have pointed out, its a Sony product and anything with PlayStation in its name will sell. Yeh it has a big price tag but didnt the PS2 at first? The great advantage is you can use all your old games on it and everyone knows the PlayStation style and seems to like it.

However I do think that if the PS3 does not do very well they will not make a PS4 as they are losing money on each console sold and soon it will be getting to the point where graphics dont matter, people want quality games that have a replay value which keep them coming back to them not some game with awesome graphics, poor gameplay and no plot/meaning/storyline/point (u get the picture)

360 very cool the ps3 is lots of money and lots of problems you think the 360 had problems just wait youll see and nintendo is a joke less power then the og xbox and some lame ass controller who cares about old games its all about hdtv get a clue nintendo the fanboys will be mad. but i work at a gamestore people are buying the 360 right now like hotcakes i work at a slow store and we sold 12 360s in a day and like i said im at one of the slowest stores its crazy microsoft did a good job by being first i still think sony will catch up at some point but in the end who cares the more games the better. buy all of them have fun play what you like and in the end who really cares who wins the gamers are the real winners

Quote Originally Posted by muffinman
    psp will win the handheld war in the long run mainly because of homebrew and the features which should go on it. If sony make the right moves aka bring out some good games and a keyboard etc i think it will outsell the ds easily.

Next gen consoles wise i'm backing ps3 atm. The main reason for this is i like my rpg games on a console and xbox dont seem to have alot of them + I have a decent gaming pc so my fps's and rts's are bought on that. Well ill be buying a ps3 and a revolution propably because the revolution will just be fun.
    the ds has lots of homebrew as well and ever retail game works on my ds and none of that lame as firmware updates i have over 300 games for the ds its got tons of games and the ds lite is coming. dont get me wrong i love my psp more then the ds but the ds can do just as much as a psp you just need a m3 cart and your good to go the ds is vry good if you get a flash card

Dream Coder

I say DS and revolution. DS already has an astounding majority over the psp outside of the United States and as more killer 1st party titles appear it will continue to gain market share.

The reason I say revolution is that the xbox 360 has already proven to be, relatively, a faliure. It is too expensive, not backwards compatible(as promised), and complaints about the size of it and it's power adapter abound. The PS3 will be out of the race due to: wavering concerns over it's repeated delays, extremely high release price, lack of support for the blu-ray format making it loose the place the PS2 had as a cheap player for a new format (a good percentage of first day sales for the ps2 were made without a game because at the time it was cheaper than any dvd player on the market), and no killer launch games lined up. Now someone above said something about the playstation name that I feel should be rectified. The first playstation sold extremely well because it was 3d and was 100$ cheaper than the competition. The second playstation sold well because it was backwards compatible, and was a cheap dvd player. The third one... well, it's expensive, not a player for a 'wanted' new format, and isn't offering anything new in terms of graphics. On top of that, if sony keeps up with it's track record of horribly made first run products, the ps3 will garner itself enough negative publicity early on to help sink future sales.

The revolution on the other hand is offering something new (controller format) is offering a lineup of innovative games as well as iconic series, will be pice extremely affordably, and will allow you to play (cheaply or for free) a multitude of games that will appeal to the nostalgia of older gamers.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Cool Nintendo

Yeah go ahead and laugh.
    But nintendo has always had the highest quality games and hardware.

how many psp's and ps2 have you had to take back and exchance because of busted pixels or D.R.E?

Damn skippy. sony doesnt even know what quality is!

But nintendo
    they dont seem interested in $#@!ing people at cash registers for every penny they have.

I think its time people woke up and realized, no matter how much people like video games. There a limate to whats reasonible to pay for such a hobby.

And I hate to say it cause I know some people would find it offencive to call it a hobby or a past time.

But to us mentaly healthy people thats what it is

Im going with nintendo all the way this time.
    You wont see me buying a ps3 for a while for many reasons.
    reason # 1
    I already have an xbox 360. And no matter who sais what about. Ohh but there getting better games now then they where at launch. The 360 is still a failure in my eyes and many other peoples aswell. Its just a sucky frankenstine of an ugly basterdised mini tower pc laied on its side

reason # 2 Every playstasion that has ever been launched, has had bugs in its first generation hardware.
    Meaning, I guarentee there will be people spending 500+ dollars on somthing there going to have to send off or take back. (Thats FACT)

Reason # 3 A fool and his money are soon parted.
    six hundred dollars!!

WTF IS SONY THINKING!!

Ill be getting my ps3 after the first price drop. By that time it will have either failed or passed consumer tests. and most of the, locking, crashing,freezing, read error, bugs will have been worked out.

Reason # 4
    Sure there will be that one game everbody just must have. But ultimately system launches are relitivly weak. with only a hand full of games,most of which are sports and raceing titles designed for a quick cash in.

yeah ill get a ps3. and as big as a metal gear solid fan as I am. its just not enough to make me raid my cash stash, (600.00 F~N $! WTF SONY ) And besides within one year the price will have droped and all those must have games will be esily found

And im willing to bet because of the price diff alone, nintendo will sell a lot faster and have a larger user base then the other platforms.

i mean come on, how many people had it planed to get a ps3 and a revolution?

Thats right almost everbody.

Nintendos a given, they may not be at there prime or on top of ther game, But there still everwhere videogames are found.

I dont know about you guys. and I realize that everyone here is a fan of video games, But when a market giant tells me there going to raise the price of there goods and ill pay it cause im (hard core)

Well that $#@! just doesnt fly with me

Long live homebrew!! And long live emulation!!
    Long live free gameing!!

(Shadowprophet, proud spokesperson of the SRUAD)

Sonys $#@!ing us all damnit!!

Well to me its not really how powerful a system is its what the games are going to be like. All systems have great games even that CDi system has some good games for short life span it had. But competition wise if people are going for a PS3 cause its going to be the most powerful and from what i heard plenty of people want the PS3 cause of the power then there might be a possibility it will be the leader. Right now for me there is no personal fav system. If i was going for the system not for game play then i would say the worse system i have right now is PS2.

Eric

PSP User

Handheld:
    In Japan, the DS will win with pretty much no competition.
    In the US, I think it'll be a lot closer. PSP wins in my book regardless, but until it gets better games, and because of the new DS Lite, the DS might "win" the sales, but I still think the PSP is 20x better.

Console:
    It's hard to say now, but I know with all the postponing many people are mad at Sony, but I guess I still think the PS3 will win. Again, Japan could be different.

My appologies, this is a long post. Please skip to the next one if you'd like (!_!)

I'm really surprised at some of the early responses to this. There was no media conspiracy that lead to Sony's success. There was no "coolness" factor to it. Sony won the early first two next-gen rounds simply because Nintendo dropped the ball over and over again. Heck, I'm sure everyone knows that the PlayStation was originally just a SNES add-on. Not only did they fail to give us SNES CD compatibility, but then they failed to bring a next generation console that used CD media, which was a mistake. Nintendo, having been the clear favorite in all of the previous handheld and console markets, was virtually guaranteed success that they could only loose through massive poor decision making, which they did (you knew that things were terribly amiss when Square abandoned Nintendo), and that opened a vacuum in the next generation console market.

Which brings me to Sega. I don't get what some people are talking about with Sony being the "cool" choice. The "cool" choice in every generation was Sega. Unfortunately, with the Genesis, they deffinatively proved that they didn't know what it takes to create an optimum gaming system, and I think that the public at large was rightfully skeptical of their ability to deliver a winning console from that point on. I taped the first run of Evangelion off of TV in Japan, and everytime I watch it, I see those first generation Saturn commercials for games like Sim City, Virtua Fighter, flying simulators... "realistic" games that comprised the bulk of the Saturn's early lineup which set them up for disaster. Most people already have sufficiently real lives and turn to video games more for entertainment. And that's what the PlayStation delivered. Fun, entertaining, next generation games that everyone could get behind. The other consoles didn't, and that's why the PlayStation won.

To this day I don't understand what the appeal of the Dreamcast was to anyone. I understand that it's got a strong cult following, but do you diehard fans actually think that the Dreamcast stood any kind of a chance? I mean, I'm a diehard PC Engine fan, but I'm not about to say that it ever stood a chance at real success overseas. It was marketed poorly, there was a very limited selection of games available, the games that were available failed to resonate with most people, and there was virtually no effort to create games that were relevant to the overseas market. For me, it was a great choice, but I understand that for most people it just wasn't. That's the way it was with the Dreamcast. True story: a guy I used to work with always used to go on and on about the system, trying to get me hyped up about it. One day he actually brought in a brand new system and offered it to me for free. I felt kind of bad, but I declined because I literally, honestly had absolutely no use for it. There were no games for it that I wanted (the only ones that looked interesting were Space Channel 5 and Jet Set Radio, but I doubted that either would offer any real game play), and it didn't offer me any useful functionality.

Which is where the PlayStation 2 comes in. Once again, it didn't take a conspiracy or mass public brainwashing for it to succeed. In the first year of the console's life, I knew more people that bought it strictly for it's DVD playback capability than anything else. That got it into more people's homes, and people who weren't gamers otherwise already had their choice made up for them about what system to buy games for.

So why I am rambling on about all this? I'm trying to, very clearly, make the point that a system has to be fun or otherwise valuable to the majority of people in order for it to succeed. I think that a lot of gamers tend to forget that a majority of the people are NOT gamers. In fact, a mojority of people are females, who, in fact, happen to largely be non-gamers. And this is why I think that the next generation is going to be a tough call. The new systems are pushing realistic (but still clearly fake) imagery that the majority of people just aren't going to care about. It is, and will always be, a neat novelty, but without some fun, exciting games, all of the next generation consoles are going to bomb, and declaring a winner in the race will be a largely meaningless gesture as it would kind of be like being voted most popular dork. A dubious title at best.

I think it's way too early to speculate the winner. I hate both Sony (yes, to all of you people out there that think that Sony won because everybody loves them, think again. Sony makes awful, fragile products, and I've supported the PlayStation line in spite of the Sony name, not because of it) and Microsoft, so I don't really want either to win. But of the lesser of those evils, I want Sony to win because it should be fully backwards compatible and I would rather have a clear successor so that I'm not faced with a situation years from now where I HAVE to keep three different consoles laying around in order to enjoy the different libraries. Unfortunately, the Blu-Ray aspect of the PS3 is a non-factor this time around (much like the UMD aspect of the PSP), so I think this next generation is going to be decided soley upon the strength and popularity of the titles that are brought out. I truly hope that it doesn't happen, but if MS can manage to produce some good, solid, popular titles, I think they have a chance at succeeding. I don't think that the 360's lead will factor in at all. The Genesis enjoyed a similar lead over the SNES, but still lost in the long run because the SNES ultimately delivered more. I think the same will be true for PS3 vs. 360. I think at this point, most people think of Nintendo products as "toys", so I think the Revolution only stands a chance at truly winning if both MS and Sony drop the ball entirely with their software lineup and fail to release any big name games that catch the public attention.

As for DS and PSP... The DS should win this one. It's clearly more popular and fun, but Sony has a history of pushing and pushing until their product succeeds, and if they ever let the PSP live up to it's full potential, the DS won't be able to hold a candle to all of it's built in functionality and technical specs. Of course, by that time, Nintendo will probably have their next handheld out and it won't be an issue of DS vs PSP anymore, which is why I think this current generation favors the DS. It's just taking too long for the PSP to build the momentum that the DS already carried over from the GBA.

Sorry for the long post(;_;) I felt that I had to say all of that.

Sony could put whatever price tag they wanted on their consoles, and people will pay!, they only have to go down the tried and tested formula of producing a vast catalogue of games for their machine, it doesn't matter what the quality of these games are - if there's more Playsation games on the shelf than any other system, people will go for the Playstation, backwards compatability is the key and they know it! (luckily other companies have finally got the idea!). People are like sheep, they'll follow the herd into the slaughter house!.

Sony are not stupid when it comes to hardware, they are the masters of double standards, they are more 'on the ball' when it comes to piracy than any other company, other companies expend vast amounts of time and money on anti-piracy measures when Sony do just enough to ward off the blatantly obvious. All they have to do is send out the testing prototypes of the PS3 to the respective companies and include something similar to the infamous 'boot disc' of the PS2, "oops!, we didn't want to give you that, can you send it back please?".

Sony's biggest gamble was the DVD format on the PS2, they were well aware of the future potential of the format, but what about the games?, easy solution - release half of them on the CD format, many have got a CD burner, very few have a DVD burner, we'll go for the all in DVD format later!.

As for the PS3?, how many Blu-Ray burners are out there?, should we or shouldn't we go with the format?. Sony is watching the Blu-Ray with keen eyes, when the time is right the PS will be Blu-Ray compatible.

The PSP isn't doing as well as Sony expected, the sales figures are there, but Sony does not have the handheld legacy of Nintendo, one thing is for sure - you can guarantee they've got something up their sleeve for the future.

Conspiracy?, hell no!, the truth is out there!.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information