Thread: OpenGGS 0.93 DC - Giana Game Appears on Dreamcast

Blog Entries

Dreamcast OpenGGS 0.93 DC - Giana Game Appears on Dreamcast

We have been promised a Giana Game for years on the Dreamcast and this one has popped up out of knowwhere, heres the release info thanks to Dreamcast ES:

OpenGGS - Open Great Giana Sisters
    v0.9.3
    ---------------------------------
    http://openggs.romanhoegg.ch/
    Licence : GNU GPL v.2
    ---------------------------------
    Author: Roman Hoegg

OpenGGS is my humble attempt to reimplement “The Great Giana Sisters” as an easily portable Free Software/Open Source project. The goal is to stay as close to the original game as possible. However, it does not use any source code from the original games.

Dreamcast port by Indiket - www.dreamcast.es

Release notes for Dreamcast:

The port has been tested on a real Sega Dreamcast hardware and it works very well, near a perfect conversion of the PC version. Also, it has been tested with nullDC and Makaron emulators with good results.

Inside this file you will find a bin folder and a src one. Use all the files of the bin folder to create a cdi image and use it with an emu or burn it.

Inside the src folder you will find the source code to compile the DC version and also the original documentation.

This game includes no hardly any graphics and sounds/music from the original games. You can add .mod music in the /base/default folder but using the same names as indicated in the audio.ini file.

The dreamcast port can save your records in the VMU. You need a VMU in A1 port and it takes 3 blocks (including the nice icon visible at bios menu).

Controls:
    D-pad: Move Giana
    Start: Enter
    A: Jump
    B: Fire ball
    X: Run
    Y: "Hard down attack"
    R: Show stats
    L: Quit

Happy dreamcasting

Indiket

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

He had mentioned to me there is a minor bug. Well somewhat minor and that is sometimes during the game it'll freeze but luckily for the VMU can load the game where you left off. He had told me he was testing with the BBA and agreed that running on BBA can cause some minor or major bugging. I recommend all folks out there to test this game before Giana's Return comes out at the end of this year.

Amazing...

...it's been at .93 for how long now, and we are finally getting a beta release of some sort.

Man I've waited forever for this release, glad I just happened to get a new Dreamcast a couple days ago. What timing!

Now let's hope that there will be a DC version 1.0 at the end of this year.

On that note, what ever became of FreeD0 for the Dreamcast?

Oh yes, be sure to check out the new commercial incarnation of the Giana sisters for the DS. It ain't quite the same, there are a lot of power ups missing, but then again it's still a solid platformer even if the new sound tracks sux.

Oh wait, this ain't Gianna's Return is it? Can it be another Giana sister project stuck at version .93? Irony or am I missing something here?

Just to clarify, OpenGGS is another different aproach of Giana Sisters. It has nothing related to Giana's Return (maybe soon on DC!).

And this version is not stuck at .93, it is in active development and moreover, open source

Active development is musick my ears!

Though you can play this there is a beta for Giana's Return i believe it has been posted here at DCemu.co.uk already or you can go to http://www.gianas-return.de/?p=407. Open Giana Sisters is basically a revisit of the old game and Giana's Return is a sequel story to the original. So give the revisit game a try and download the sequel's beta. The Sequel should hopefully be available to us by the end of the year.

(EDIT) I was unaware that the beta is only available for the Wiz but again you can try Open Giana and then get then the Sequel game when its released
    Last edited by Eric; July 21st, 2009 at 15:29.

Eric, you are refering to the old version of Giana's Return made by chn:
    http://chn.bplaced.net/index.php?doc...nasreturn.html

I think that you can find it in dcemu or in "The Sandman" compilation on dcevolution.

NO no one was just released for the new game but is only available for Wiz click that link its been actually posted here at DCemu aswell. But i am aware of that version as i own that one aswell.

Thread Information