Thread: Epic Games: Making Games For The Wii Is A Waste (NTDOY)

Blog Entries

Rev Epic Games: Making Games For The Wii Is A Waste (NTDOY)

Via: Silicon Alley Insider

Gears of War won't be coming to Nintendo's Wii platform, despite its 50 million users.

Epic Games's Unreal Engine would have to be scaled down to make it work with the Wii and VP Mark Rein told IndustryGamers it's not worth it.

If you stretch something too thin, it becomes very thin. How do you support that? We don't make games for that platform because we don't see a market for the kinds of games we make – let's be honest.

Mark said other developers that have tried to simplify complex games for the Wii in the past have flopped. He cite the example of the Madden game on the Wii, saying it was "a dumbed down game."

Mark said that if Nintendo came up with more processing capability, more memory and better graphics, Epic Games will be prepared to make games for it. He says:

Industry Gamers: We're a very high-end engine, and we have the best tools and awesome visuals and great physics. It's more likely the platform will rise up to meet us than we'll go down [to customize our technology for it]. And eventually I think that'll be the case, and it'll be true of handhelds and even the iPhone.

Epic Games's Unreal Engine works with PCs, Macs, XBoxes, PlayStations and Dreamcast.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Gears of War for the Dreamcast FTW!

Blog Entries

It's funny how the engine will work with a Dreamcast, though not the current leader in the console market.

The words "EPIC FAIL" springs to mind (to Nintendo obviously), knowing that Nintendo's best selling console needs a "dumbed down" version of the Unreal Engine because the console just isn't powerful enough in that area... And the Dreamcast was!!!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

I think that refers to the original unreal engine, not unreal 3

I find this a little stupid, with a little work, they could win millions, I mean, do they even see how many Wiis are sold daily?
    DON'T CLICK HERE
    98% of teenage population has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature

Am I the only one who finds Epic putting down Unreal is like Aiwa putting down VHS? Learn from the past, Epic, lest you follow in it's footsteps.

Thread Information