Thread: DC reads crappy disc but not MINT one

Default DC reads crappy disc but not MINT one

I've got the weirdest disc related problem with my PAL Dreamcast.
    I recently bought Shenmue 1 PAL version. Disc 1 is kind of shabby, no scratches, but it has a strange surface that looks like as if you just breathed on it.
    However, my Dreamcast plays it fine, no problems at all. It also plays CD-R's flawlessly.

However, now I'm at disc 2 of Shenmue, but when I put it in the DC it shows the SEGA logo like normal, but then goes back to the main menu. The thing is, the disc is absolutely MINT! Completely spotless. I can play the audio files without any problems, it's just when I actually want to play the game. After listening closely, I noticed a small strained sound from the GDROM. Obviously it has problems reading the disc. So I tried flipping the DC over, as one used to with the playstation, but the only result I get is that it goes back to the main menu even faster!

The unit is second hand so there's a possibility the laser has ben fiddled with.
    My question boils down to; is my Dreamcast's laser overcalibrated or should I try to "raise" the calibration? I remember doing this to the PS2 back in the day and it just ended in tragedy so I'm a little hesitant, but I HAVE TO PLAY SHENMUE!!
    I even went so far as to trying hexediting my savefile and trying to load it on an NTSC backup of shenmue but no luck.
    I used this tutorial, but did it reversed, since it explains converting from PAL to NTSC: http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmutool/r...?lg=en&menu=on
    Has anyone had a similar problem? Please help, this has really got me down.

I've gone Dreamcast shopping at least 3 times in my life.

When I bought them used, they had to test out all of their Dreamcasts to see which actually read discs.

They tried out at least 3 Dreamcasts with 7 copies of Sonic Adventure. Some copies worked on some models but others didn't. I ended up leaving the store with a Model 0 Dreamcast and a white-label Sonic Adventure.

I guess what I'm saying is that GD-roms weaken over time.. And playing burnt copies of games also hurts the GD-rom.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltaco64 View Post
    I guess what I'm saying is that GD-roms weaken over time.. And playing burnt copies of games also hurts the GD-rom.
    Yeah, but should i decrease the voltage on the GDROM or increase it? I mean, less than perfect discs seem to read fine, while this disc (super mega ultra phresh MINT condisch) won't boot..? It feels as if the drive is TOO GOOD rather than too bad. As if it's set at working harder than it needs to. Guess I'll try fiddling with the laser tomorrow if I find the time. Will let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for the reply, btw.

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltaco64 View Post
    It only hurts the GDROM if you adjust the laser. If you never change the laser, it clearly has no affect on the life of the GDROM.

Thread Information