Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N64 Emulator on Dreamcast

DCEmu Newbie

Default N64 Emulator on Dreamcast

I have found this website http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/dcnin64.shtml What I cant figure out is if this works and how to put it onto a cd to use on the dreamcast itself. If anyone has more information that would be wonderful.
    R

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

thats our site well our hosted site. it only plays one or 2 demos, slowly. It does not play any commerical games. but if you want to try it use this guide, http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21628

step 3 is what u want

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaviour69 View Post
    thats our site well our hosted site. it only plays one or 2 demos, slowly. It does not play any commerical games. but if you want to try it use this guide, http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21628

step 3 is what u want
    This is a really old post so maybe more has been done to improve dcnin64. Having a working emulator would be fantastic. Let me know if there has been any progress on this project. Thanks!

DCEmu Newbie

I guess it would be possible to eventually get super mario 64 (and other 64mbit roms) working.
    It would require some very skilled sh4 coders with no life tough:P
    I wonder if it would be possible to do high level emulation on the dreamcast...

DCEmu Newbie

Is that N64 emulator currently being worked on? or any other N64 emu for DC? Also, has GBA emulation come to a stop? or is gpspDC still being worked on (it doesnt seem to have far to go if someone would finish it)?

Blog Entries

N64 runs horribly on DC, and slowly

There's one available but it only runs some homebrew demos

Quote Originally Posted by Masta-G View Post
    I guess it would be possible to eventually get super mario 64 (and other 64mbit roms) working.
    It would require some very skilled sh4 coders with no life tough:P
    Yup, it's probably possible because:

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=66690&p=719620&hilit=n64+proc essors#p719620]Rand Linden of Bleem! fame @ DCEmulation.com[/url]
    Yes, we were looking into an adapter for the N64 cartridges -- mostly to avoid legal issues with disc images and piracy.

There were two basic concepts -- a serial-based one for games that could fit into RAM and a full G2 port adapter that sat between the DC and the modem (or BB).

The smaller carts wouldn't have been a problem, and it would have been an issue of whether or not the cost would support the ability to run the additional, larger ones.

Effectively, the smaller carts are "preloaded" at boot, and for a very small number of titles, we could patch the game code to allow 'intermission' type loading if the game was "close" to fitting but was a high profile title.

The cost to develop a full G2 device was high, but solved lots of other ancillary problems (mostly timing- and transfer- related).

The game would run through software emulation -- not a huge leap, considering the processors are VERY similar.
    ...it just wouldn't make any sense to petition our coders to waste time with a project like this.

Aside of that I could not think of a better platform to play N64 games on than the Wii. It's an official Nintendo platform and their emulation is about perfect + you can use the GameCube controllers

DCEmu Newbie

And how about GBA emulation, will there be another release for gpspDC? If gpspDC would get finished, we wouldn't have to worry about non-full speed SNES anymore because most of the best games for SNES in my opinion were released for GBA anyway. I would crap my pants if I could play all the old Final Fantasies on my DC in full speed (not NES ones).

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    ...it just wouldn't make any sense to petition our coders to waste time with a project like this.
    And the reason for that would be which one? As I see it, this emu would have the same right to be developed as any other emu. It would be possible to run many commercial games, so no reason why a coder shouldn't give it a try. It's not like asking to code a PS2-Emu for the DC

Quote Originally Posted by Christuserloeser View Post
    Aside of that I could not think of a better platform to play N64 games on than the Wii. It's an official Nintendo platform and their emulation is about perfect + you can use the GameCube controllers
    I can think of a much better one: the PC. It's more flexible, powerful, you can use original controllers with an adaptor and on the contrary to the Wii, everyone has one. Furthermore it's *free*. Not to mention the perfect emulation for the N64 from the freeware-scene long before Nintendo decided to step into the commercial ring to fight for some dollars from the nostalgia market. And btw, what does the Wii being from Nintendo has to do with how much it is suitable for an emulator? Granted that the emu is decently coded you could run N64 games on any of the newer generation consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by nate9999 View Post
    And how about GBA emulation, will there be another release for gpspDC? If gpspDC would get finished, we wouldn't have to worry about non-full speed SNES anymore because most of the best games for SNES in my opinion were released for GBA anyway. I would crap my pants if I could play all the old Final Fantasies on my DC in full speed (not NES ones).
    Then what are you waiting for? Play the SNES games with DreamSnes on the DC. Most RPG's run at 100% with it. No need to use a GBA-emu to emulate a SNES-port

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information