Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: I'll let you figure this one out for a change

DCEmu Newbie

Hey Psmonkey

when are u planning on making a new GUI?

DCEmu Newbie

it has to do with the RAM of the psp or something. not the memory card.

I don't think you could split roms, and have it still function properly.

Would be great if the only thing you needed to run big roms like Paper Mario, was a bigger memory card, but PSmonkey will come up with something

It takes thousands of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one to shatter it across the highway

Duct Tape is like the force. It has a light and dark side, and it holds the world together

Click here to play my other Flash games and movies!

A GUI would be cool! Just a simple GUI though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilo
    Would be great if the only thing you needed to run big roms like Paper Mario, was a bigger memory card, but PSmonkey will come up with something
    And with Zilmar helping him, the new build will be a internet phenomenon!

It defenitly will

It takes thousands of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one to shatter it across the highway

Duct Tape is like the force. It has a light and dark side, and it holds the world together

Click here to play my other Flash games and movies!

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblind
    it doesnt make logical sense as to why certain size ROMs dont work. I truely dont care how "technical" you get, all the people I know (more then 1) said that it is readily possible to configure any type of ROM size to work on PSP, as long as it fits on the memory card.
    yeah as long as it fits your memory stick you can put it in there, but the psp has fairly limited amount of RAM compared to the n64 and the emulator itself use some it,so if the game uses up more than what is left it would crash the psp or something...i think there is a way around that but i know nothing anyway
    [EDIT]
    as for splitting the rom, it has nothing to do with the ram but there is a reason it works with isos but not with roms....just turn on a psp/x/2 and starts playing a game,then just remove the umd/cd/dvd....you can still play without the media until the games needs to load again...someone could give a better explanation on this one but you can get what i am trying to say

Well maybe they can implement a code where if the PSP ran out of RAM memory, it goes to the Memory stick and creates "Virtual Memory" just like a PC does. Maybe thats one possibility in playing larger roms? I don't know....I am no computer expert or programmer just giving ideas.

Also there is a bad side in having "Virtual Memory" unlike memory stored on the RAM, access to virtual memory on a PC can have negative effects on its performance. This could lead to slow emulation and maybe other problems on the PSP.

PSP Coder

Few things

1) Mem stick writes are slow so virtual memory is worthless
    2) N64 access the cart alot. So some form of an inteligent system is needed.
    3) N64 had 4MB of shared ram (plus 4k tmem). Psp has 32MB of ram + VRAM. 24 MB is avalible to the coder, 8MB is locked up by the kernal.
    4) Large roms can work. The problem is making a method that does not access the memory card for more data that often. The more mem stick reads the slower the emulation will be (like even less then a frame a second).

Thread Information