Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The VMU revisited

Blog Entries

Dreamcast The VMU revisited

News via http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/002654.html

The VMU had a lot of potential, in theory. The idea of tiny games playable on a memory card really sparked my imagination, and my interest. But in reality, most of the minigames you got with Dreamcast software was a bit uninspired, and the VMU itself voraciously consumed expensive watch batteries. After the Dreamcast's demise, though, a small VMU scene emerged, and created a number of homebrew games and demos for the tiny console. This video showcases some of the better games out there, all of which can be downloaded via the Dream Explorer software found at BlueSwirl.

Not included in the first video is this Dragon Slayer clone, and there have also been some attempts at tiny 3D engines, including this one, and the more robust "Very Much Useless" demo by Shadow/Noice, which the author claims is running in real time, and is not an animation. The largest source for info on VMU homebrew right now seems to be the author of that first 3D demo, Real Rockin B. Unfortunately though, playing games on the VMU itself will never be that practical, given its battery consumption. Most folks will have to rely on emulators, as the Dream Explorer facilitates

Meh...

where's DOOM?!?! he he

Blog Entries

watching that video brings back some good memories

DCEmu Newbie

Does it ever wraggster. I had a bunch of those little suckers, and it was teh dreamcast that got me into console homebrew in the first place.

DCEmu Coder

When I bought a keyboard and mouse for my Dreamcast (last week), I went ahead and ordered another VMU as well (blue... to match my controller). So now I have two VMUs. I've been looking over the VMU developer tools out - I used to love doing assembly language stuff on limited systems (started out on the TRS-80 and Atari 400). It's an odd little handheld device, but pretty cool. I'll definitely have to do SOMETHING for it.

Blog Entries

i must say i really love my dreamcast, still got 2 consoles and a treamcast and just about every controller released for the system, it was way ahead of its time really.

Still the best homebrew console bar none in my opinion

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JLF65 View Post
    When I bought a keyboard and mouse for my Dreamcast (last week), I went ahead and ordered another VMU as well (blue... to match my controller). So now I have two VMUs. I've been looking over the VMU developer tools out - I used to love doing assembly language stuff on limited systems (started out on the TRS-80 and Atari 400). It's an odd little handheld device, but pretty cool. I'll definitely have to do SOMETHING for it.
    how about a battteship homebrew game for the dreamcast, using the VMU to place your ships, and therefore keep them hidden from the other player.

DCEmu Coder

If you mean Battleship for the VMU, they have to be hooked together for a VMU to play against another VMU, and the other player would see your layout unless you stuck a big card between them. If you mean on the DC, that would be Battleship for the DC, not for the VMU, and just using the VMU as a display... which would actually work since the controllers are on long cords.

Given the ships are displayed on the VMU, what would go on the DC display?

Dream Coder

Quote Originally Posted by JLF65 View Post
    Given the ships are displayed on the VMU, what would go on the DC display?
    DC display could show the two fields as blank with previous attempts and hits. At the very beginning when ships are placed, it would only display on the vmu screen, after that all action would be on the DC's. It's not like you need to keep track of where your ships are for any reason once the game has started.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Coder

Quote Originally Posted by quzar View Post
    DC display could show the two fields as blank with previous attempts and hits. At the very beginning when ships are placed, it would only display on the vmu screen, after that all action would be on the DC's. It's not like you need to keep track of where your ships are for any reason once the game has started.
    Right... makes sense. Of course, thinking about the VMU only version, you could set the position of your ships, then it goes to a blank display and waits for you to connect to another VMU. At that point, the VMU would show your hits on the other guy. That would work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information