Thread: Beware - 2200mah PSP batteries on eBay have incredibly low capacity in them!

psp Beware - 2200mah PSP batteries on eBay have incredibly low capacity in them!

Okay, first off I'm sure you have have heard other sites talk about this subject before and also some of you may remember my news post for an unbranded 3600mah fake over here. However, I'm going to share this with all at DCEmu UK anyway...

Today, my 2200mah battery arrived at my doorstep just a week after I ordered it from eBay. Here's what it looked like inside the wrapper...

...and the reverse side too. Looks official all round. However, after opening the packaging and picking up the battery to test the weight and finding it light and hollow on around the top, I knew it wasn't going to last long when used.

Here below is my old 1800mah battery side-by-side with the so-called 2200mah one and the reversed sides.

Since it was cheap at £4.37 with free shipping, I proceeded to open up the 2200mah battery. Result? Look below and see...

Inside the flimsy shell is a small cell pack which really holds around 900mah, about 35% smaller than an official cell pack. What a joke. No wonder it only lasted about 2 hourd or less in my 1004 series PSP even when fully charged up set at 222mHz clock speed, lowest brightness with a UMD being played compared to my old 1800mah one at 3-4 or so hours. (An official 1800mah cell pack fills out the entire shell which can be tough to break into and has a bigger internal circuit board too.)

These days, for owners of the 1000 series PSP particulary, the batteries that came with their machines from the start are most probably wearing out, probably holding about 70% or less of charge as they used to. Then there's owners of the 2000/3000 model who may want some more runtime from their machines and the 1000 series batteries would fit the bill for that. In short, finding genuine batteries is becoming more and more difficult.

If anyone's on the scrounge for genuine spare PSP 1000 series batteries (PSP-110), just be careful on eBay or anywhere else even. If a price looks too good, it's most likely a fake. One could try asking the seller if they're genuine and maybe get them to provide photos of proof. Oh also remember that many fakes aren't pandorable like this one.

Remember, if in doubt, even with free shipping don't bother buying as if it turns out a fake, you've wasted about £5 or so on something worthless which could have been better spent on better things like lunch, stuff at the local store or a couple of pints at the pub.
    Last edited by Shrygue; August 25th, 2009 at 23:26.

DCEmu Newbie

Another easy to spot tip is that the fake batteries say made in japan on the back.
    The official batteries say made in china.

Quote Originally Posted by mmochel View Post
    Another easy to spot tip is that the fake batteries say made in japan on the back.
    The official batteries say made in china.
    that's kind of a paradox, lol, that the real deal is made in china

DCEmu Newbie

I had one of those in my slim a while ago... it worked fine (as long as i didnt wanna play more than a couple hours) but they wont take charging over and over as well as a real sony battery will. Mine didn't last a year.

DCEmu Newbie

The only thing they are good for is ripping them open and putting a nokia battery cell inside. Only then it starts working like a charm
    Btw, when You've opened it, did You noticed a faint vinegar/vanilla scent coming from the cell pack?

Hmm, a Nokia battery cell huh? Which ones and what capacity are they?

As for my fake 2200mah battery, no it didn't give off that stange scent mentioned, not yet anyway.

DCEmu Newbie

It was a BL-5C with 970 mAh capacity. Still, it holds as long as the psp original.

Thread Information