Thread: NEO4ALL/AES question

Default NEO4ALL/AES question

I'm confused..do NEO GEO CD games need/use prefetch files? or do only the AES games use that?

Is it better to use neo cd games?

.... Hey, newbie... How about you READ the stuff BEFORE posting??

IF you would have read the information at a minimum level, you would know that for neo cd emulation you use NEO4ALL/CD and for ROM/AES emulation you use NEO4ALL/AES.

Don't mix the 2 emulators up...

Dream Coder

Don't be an ass MDash. Considering they are both named neo4all, it is easily understandable how they can be confused.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Newbie

That's actually a very good question, quadomatic, and I've been wondering the same thing: does NEO4ALL/CD suffer from the same jarring load times as its AES cousin? I don't have a Windows machine, so it's tough for me to get a chance to build a DC disk for testing.

Is there anyone out there who has tried them both, and wouldn't mind sharing their observations? Like, for instance, how does the CD version of Samurai Showdown compare to the AES version? Does NEO4ALL/CD cause it to stutter with the loading, as does NEO4ALL/AES?

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by quzar
    Don't be an ass MDash. Considering they are both named neo4all, it is easily understandable how they can be confused.
    I don't think i was an ass... besides... if you go to the official website, you easily understand the difference... plz don't protect the newbies from learning...

DCEmu Newbie

There's a big difference between encouraging people to learn for themselves, and just lashing out like a child. We're all here to help each other. If you can't be helpful, don't bother posting.

I think both emulators are worth burning, though I've yet to burn the latest release of Neo4All/CD.

In general: Neo4All/CD only needs the "NEOCD.BIN" BIOS file and works with the original NeoGeo CD games and your backup copies. It's kinda like a BootDisk so you swap with your NeoGeoCDs once you loaded the emu. It's great that you don't need to reset your DC if you want to play another game, you just hold the L-Trigger for a second so you'll be taken to the menu where you can reset the emulator to boot your new CD.

Neo4All/AES is something completly different. It needs some work for one to compile a disc with working ROMs but it's definitly worth the trouble. However, I would say the Neo4All/CD version is better if you are new to emulation.

Other than Neo4All/CD, the AES version will boot without needing a BIOS, you just need it to compile your ROM sets (from MAME or NeoRageX) with it using the included converter (it merges them to an unzipped .AES file).

It also supports disc swapping, so you could create ROM Disks containing your games. Makes testing easier. However, you need to find three different BIOS files

A few months ago, I created a guide for Neo4All/AES with more information:
    http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15957

If no Prefetch exists, larger games above 24MByte will not work flawless, everything below that should run perfectly even without an existing Prefetch. A Prefetch will in most case remove any noticable loading times, but that depends on the optimization efforts put into each Prefetch.

Brandnew Prefetches can be found here (just copy them in your /convertneo/prefetch/ folder):
    http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15275

For those of you that are familiar with Selfboot Inducer I uploaded the SBIs of the latest releases, so you could burn them to one disc:

http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelop...ta1_CE.sbi.zip
    http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelop...RC1_CE.sbi.zip

If you also include a SBI for NeoDC (Quzar's continuation of NeoCD/SDL) from SBIffy's archive you should have a pretty complete NeoGeo emu collection disc for Dreamcast

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dave auto
    There's a big difference between encouraging people to learn for themselves, and just lashing out like a child. We're all here to help each other. If you can't be helpful, don't bother posting.
    lo0ol0ol0ol0ol sorry sorry... but... if a person goes to an emulation site, sees the navigation bar and can't understand that AES4ALL is one section (meaning one emulator) and NEO4ALL is ANOTHER section (meaning ANOTHER emulator)... well... in that case, I'm sorry... I didn't know you where blind... lo0ol...

oh... not to mention the index of the site... it clearly says:

NEO4ALL : Alternative open source NEOGEO/CD emulator.
    AES4ALL : NEO4ALL fork for emulating home and arcade NEOGEO systems

it's not that hard to understand I guess....

DCEmu Newbie

The original post asked if prefetch files applied to Neo4All/CD, as well as to Neo4All/AES. He also asked if the CD version of the emulator was better. At no point did he confuse the two. That's plain to see, even if you are blind, my friend But I understand if you aren't a native English speaker and misunderstood the question.

Christuserloeser: so, just to be clear, prefetch files only apply to Neo4All/AES, correct? Does that mean that CD games don't have that awful stuttering in the middle of gameplay? 'Cause if I can play Samurai Showdown CD without the hic-hic-hiccup of load times in the middle of play, I'll get myself to a Windoze machine and burn myself a copy of Neo4All/CD ASAP

........... ups............. (runs away ashamed of himself.....)

Thread Information