Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Selling Digital PSP Releases At Retail Prices

Blog Entries

psp Sony Selling Digital PSP Releases At Retail Prices

Gran Turismo rolls out on October 1st on disc and as a PlayStation Store download. SCEA announced both versions will cost $39.99.

A stand-alone version of Gran Turismo will be available on UMD and as a digital download on the PlayStation Network on October 1 for $39.99 (MSRP).

This is a shift from Sony’s strategy in Japan, which is selling downloadable versions at a discount. Sony began simultaneously releasing PSP games in stores and on the PlayStation Store in Japan last year. Downloadable versions have always been cheaper there, usually around $10 less. Even third party publishers like Irem are following suit with two tier pricing.

Unfortunately, digital releases of new PSP games cost the same as a boxed game in North America. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona from Atlus will be the first digital/retail release here. It will retail $39.99 in stores and on the PlayStation Store. In addition to getting a UMD, the physical copy of Persona also comes with a two disc soundtrack. It’s easy to see who is getting a better deal.

If Sony is really planning a digital push they should offer an incentive for the downloadable version since it can’t be resold. Well, technically Sony is offering an incentive by discounting downloadable versions, but that’s only for Japan.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/09/03...retail-prices/

Hmm i for one will stick to buying the UMD, aint no way am i paying the same price for a digital version that costs them nothing to produce (case, umd, manual etc)

Who else thinks its a barmy move to sell at the same price ?

Mighty white of Sony to be pricing both digital and physical at the same price (actually pretty stupid, but that is just me). I guess they figure that a lot of people are going to get the PSP Go. We'll see.

What, boxed and digital downloads of games at the same price? Ouch, not good. I bet Sony will be making a a small packet on the latter as they won't need to pay costs for materials to make the box, disk and manual of a title, along with extras if any are included.

Wait... So Manufacting doesn't cost anything?

Ah, Sony can't do anything without trying to squeeze out every last penny out of their customers. I'm pretty sure they're going to eventually regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by ojdon View Post

Ah, Sony can't do anything without trying to squeeze out every last penny out of their customers. I'm pretty sure they're going to eventually regret it.
    My thoughts exactly

Now Sony's just taking the piss... i know they greedy but if they can't even knock a token $5 off for people unfortunate enough to be stuck with Sony's total monopoly on Psp go games, i'm really hoping this new Google Android gaming platform takes off because that has a better chance than Pandora for getting decent retail games, then i can finish my dealings with Fony.

They probably have to sell them at MSRP so retailers don't abandon everything PlayStation related. Atleast I can understand that.. but I still don't get why PSP Go has less features than a PSP but is $50 less than a PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by ojdon View Post
    Maybe it doesn't, or the cost is very low, but in the end $ony is plain stupid and we all knew about that

I demand free UMD Cases now with blank UMDs if that's the case. :P

nobody actually buys games for the psp anyway. they know the deal. to hell with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information