Thread: Console Makers Scaling Back Their Push For HD

Blog Entries

General games Console Makers Scaling Back Their Push For HD

The big news about game consoles of late are the recent price drops and hardware changes. However, an editorial at GamesIndustry looks into one of the side effects of those updates: decisions by both Microsoft and Sony not to include HDMI cables with their HD-capable consoles, despite the companies' long-standing interest in high-definition gaming.
    "From the perspectives of these companies, they want to include the cable which will be of most utility to the largest group of consumers possible, and it's clear that whatever research they have done suggests that the majority of consumers don't need — or rather, can't use — an HDMI cable. Neither firm wants to put an assortment of cables in the box 'just in case' — each additional cable erodes millions from the firm's profitability, after all. ... Supporting evidence that all is not well with the HD transition comes from Epic Games' Mark Rein, who told Eurogamer earlier this summer that 'over half the users who played Gears of War 2 so far do not have HDTVs.' Gears of War is a core gamer franchise, beloved of early adopters and the [so-called] hardcore. If less than half of those users are playing on HDTVs, what must the percentages be like for games like FIFA and Pro Evolution Soccer — let alone Singstar and Buzz, or popular movie tie-in titles?"

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/0...ir-Push-For-HD

I am glad I am not the only one, Im quite happy with my large cheap sdtv, great color smooth image works great

I would get an hdtv, but then I see the prices, 500-600 bucks for a tv with the same 'size' but half the image area .... sigh

I got a 32 inch crt tv about year and half ago for £250 and i still haven't found a lcd tv that comes close in sdtv. to me moving from vhs to dvd was an absolute must, but untill i can get a blu-ray recorder for under £250 i just have no interest in it, and unless i get a bigger tv i don't see the point in hdtv.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by apex05 View Post
    I got a 32 inch crt tv about year and half ago for £250 and i still haven't found a lcd tv that comes close in sdtv. to me moving from vhs to dvd was an absolute must, but untill i can get a blu-ray recorder for under £250 i just have no interest in it, and unless i get a bigger tv i don't see the point in hdtv.
    3 words for you for finding a blu ray player:

ebay or amazon

King of killed the_eternal_dark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ndstal View Post
    3 words for you for finding a blu ray player:

ebay or amazon
    Amazon to protect against rip-offs.

Thread Information