Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What equipment is needed to run the N64 emulator?

DCEmu Newbie

Default What equipment is needed to run the N64 emulator?

Im really interested in this, but I don't know anything nor own a PSP, but am thinking of purchasing one because of this project, so what are the requirements besides the console? Thanks

Nope just the console, unless you get a version 2.01 or above then you need to get Grand Theft Auto : Liberty City Stories.

PSP Coder

hit up ebay for a psp with 1.5 or 2.0 on it.

there are also some good fokes at neo-geo.com/forums selling psp with 1.5 on it (im at that forum under the nick subbie).

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by psiko_scweek
    Nope just the console, unless you get a version 2.01 or above then you need to get Grand Theft Auto : Liberty City Stories.
    How exactly is that game supposed to help run it? And if I need nothing but the console, I know the PSP goes online, but it has things you can download to it Just through the cable to the PSP memory? I was going to buy a 4 GB flash cart for my DS for $98, and I found a sealed PSP on ebay for $100, so that should work good.

Well, firstly, you have to have a PSP. If you happen to buy a PSP with firmware at or above 2.01, you will need to get Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. The reason for this is simple: Sony does NOT want you using these products on your console, so after firmware 2.0, things got VERY secure in the firmware to block the executing of unsigned, arbitrary code. BUT, a few months ago, a man by the name of Edison Carter found an exploit in the way GTA loads its save games, and 2 other men named Fanjita and Ditlew pushed this exploit to its fullest extent, allowing unsigned code to run. These programs range anywhere from simple games, to demos, to ports, and as you can see, emulators.

BUT, if you happen to buy one with firmware 2.0 or below, then you're in luck, as those have exploits which allow you to to run programs from the main console menu. Now, if I were you I would read up on all of this first, such as installing homebrew, which methods of loading applications apply to which firmwares, etc. Another thing you might want to look into are ways you can tell the firmware by looking at a letter on the side of the barcode on the boxes.

But nonetheless, it will require at least SOME researching if you're absolutely new to the PSP. And also, if you're thinking of buying a PSP, you might want to buy one soon, because they're going to start putting the new firmware in newly manufactured PSP's before too long, and this firmware does NOT have a way to run homebrew at this time, and probably won't for a good number of months, if ever.

You might want to check out a few renowned PSP sites' forums, such as this site or pspupdates.qj.net's forums (*puts up flame shield* <_<)

Other than that, I would also invest in a bigger memory card for your PSP, it only comes with 32 MB, and of course a USB cable. Well, I hope I was informative, and I hope you have fun if you get a PSP ^_~

1.51 and 1.52 don't have an exploit....You'll have to upgrade to 2.00 then.

best bet is finding a 1.50 on ebay. iv got one and it works like a dream.

My friend had a 1.0 from japan but stupidly upgraded to 2.0 then 2.6, i tried to tell him but he wanted the new features so i said fine, its your funeral.

dont do it man!

MPH, I think, made a 2.0 to 1.5 downgrade. My psp came 1.51, I upgraded to 2.0, then to 1.5.

Yeah, there's a downgrader for 2.00 - 1.5, that's what i did.

get mad at me I've killed 3 homebrew capable PSP's...
    PSP Q3BSP Projekt: Here
    Iris Wiki Database: here
    Iris Game Info: Here
    Iris Addons: Here
    PSP File Shack: Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information