Thread: E3 06: Hands-on with the final PS3 controller

Blog Entries

ps3 E3 06: Hands-on with the final PS3 controller

Via Gamespot

At last year's E3, Sony displayed a prototype controller for its upcoming console, the PlayStation 3. The boomerang-shaped wireless device was something of a lightning rod, and didn't seem like it was terribly well-received. This year, Sony has unveiled the final controller, and it should look pretty familiar.

The PS3's controller now looks roughly like a Dual Shock 2. The size and button placement seems identical. But there are a handful of key differences. You'll feel right at home when you pick it up, but this controller has definitely evolved.

For starters, it's wireless and startlingly lightweight. The Bluetooth device has a mini-USB plug on it, presumably for charging. The L2 and R2 triggers are analog and feel quite nice. There's a new central button that has the PlayStation logo on it. It doesn't seem to be functional, but it seems like a likely spot for some sort of "home" or "menu' button.

The biggest change is inside the controller. There are motion-sensing gyroscopes inside the controller that will detect tilting as well as raising and lowering. We get the feeling that wii've seen this in another upcoming console, but we'll save that discussion for message boards or something. Warhawk is one of the games that supports the tilt sensor, and it feels surprisingly tight and easy to use. Flying the plane by tilting the controller is very intuitive.

One thing you won't find in this new controller is force feedback. The rumble feature was said to interfere with the motion sensing devices. Sony's Phil Harrison even went so far as to tell us that "rumble was last generation, movement is this generation."

We also managed to bump into Criterion's Alex Ward at Sony's grand unveiling, and he said he was really excited about the controller, saying that he "can really see how it fits in his games." We imagine a Burnout game can't be too far behind.

So if you wanted to be a cynic, you could say that this is a wireless PS2 controller with analog triggers like the Xbox, a central guide button like the Xbox 360, and internal motion sensors like the Wii. But what's probably most important is that the controller feels pretty nice and already seems to work well.

Screens of Controller via Comments

Sony pulls a double and rips off two companies in one stroke with a guide button and motion sensors. And taking out the rumble was perhaps the stupidist thing you could have done.

The Rumbler was the single stupidest device ever made

Hoeray for the banana controller!

Quote Originally Posted by CoderX
    The Rumbler was the single stupidest device ever made
    Play Burnout then you wouldn't say that.

Since when was controller motion detection a Nintendo original? I was playing virtual reality games 15 years ago that required controller motion detection. The more realistic games get, the more it's going to be a nessecity, and Nintendo never was the pioneer in that field.

But getting back on topic, gah, as much as I've criticised Sony in the past, I've got to hand it to them for listening to consumer opinion and re-re-designing controller. I'm now very comfortable with the idea of owning a PS3 once it becomes affordable. As much as I lack in love for Sony, at least they're listening to consumer opinion instead of dictating it. I wish the other big guys would do the same.

As for rumble: yeah, it really did make a big difference in certain games. I like how Sony's playing it off like it was a "decision" to not include it, as opposed to a court order to stop using it (!_!) They make a good move here and there, but at the end of the day, they're still just spineless corporate weasles (!_!)

Aww shame and Lame. Sony is getting desperate that is why they put in the Motion Sensors. Wii have seen this already......... Should have just stuck to the big banana control. Its different.

DCEmu Newbie

I agree totally with everything B8a said. Of course Sony are gonna follow the crowd and make something that might appeal, how else did they become such a big corporation. Nintendo have always been pushing the boundries when it comes to new fresh ideas, but they never really kept up with the graphics and so forth. Microsoft are the ones who should be getting slapped, Bill Gates just wants his fingers in all the pies. All this nonsense about being for the gamer is a bunch of bull, it's just a way of getting you to depart with your cash.

I just wish they all teamed up and released one amazing product, that way they all share an equal slice and would really be doing gamers around alot of favours.

What happened to the Phantom console anyway, is it out yet?
    If not, when will it be out and will it be able to stand its own against these money begging scoundrels.

Infinium got sued and the Phantom has been canceled if I remember correctly.

Thread Information