Thread: Sony and Microsoft back Wii

Blog Entries

Rev Sony and Microsoft back Wii

via CVG

It looks like we weren't the only ones impressed by Nintendo's Wii at E3. Microsoft and Sony console executives have been spouting praise - kind of - for Nintendo's console, recommending punters buy the system alongside their own next-gen machines.

Microsoft honcho Peter Moore inadvertently sparked the debate, when he made a comment about the pricing of the Playstation 3 compared to its rivals: "Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Moore asked. "People are going to buy two [consoles.] They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii... for the price of one PS3."

In an interview with Gamepro, Sony's Phil Harrison agreed with Moore's basic point, though unsurprisingly suggested that the PS3 would make a far better Wii counterpart: "I think Peter Moore is exactly right. I think Nintendo will be the second system consumers purchase after PlayStation 3," he said. "I know what Peter was getting at with his price point issue but he's not comparing apples to oranges. It's clearly a case that PlayStation 3's price is justified by PlayStation 3's value."

Completing the holy trinity of console execs, Nintendo's Perrin Kaplan also joined the debate in an interview with Engadget. When asked if the Wii and Xbox 360 could be complimentary, Kaplan responded: "I think they could be. For a hardcore gamer who really wants a plethora of ways to pick from, someone who really wants to spend a lot of time gaming."

"The hardcore gamers, the gamers that are their customers, they love to play and they will probably want our system and their system," Kaplan added. "I do think the casual gamers that we are expanding into will own only one, and it will be ours."

Considering PS3's, erm, large price point, we reckon only the world's four richest will be able to afford all three next-gen consoles. So make your choice now - which console will go alongside your Wii?

DCEmu Rookie

Alongside my Wii will be a...drumroll please....*drumroll* *drumroll*....(after a price drop) an Xbox 360. I am definately not spending $600 or even a price drop from that for a PS3.

hmm i think that along side my gc n64 and wii shall sit a nice shiny xbox 360 just in a couple of years though :P

i'm getting a wii, then waiting for the uncrippled version of the PS3 to go down to AT LEAST $400

I guess it would have to be a 360 considering I already have one. :P

360 (got at launch) and will get a Wii at launch too. Who would buy a systemm (PS3) that is slightly more powerful than than the $399 360 for a whopping $599 there is no common sence in in that. The PS3 is going to bomb due to it's high price point that the average family can't afford to spend on a gaming system.

how about the blu ray player built inside.... thats a value.... considering it'll be the 1st available to the US (i think) and itll be the cheapest one available

Thread Information