Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - Linux-based handheld console launches in UK

Blog Entries

Home/News OT - Linux-based handheld console launches in UK

Homebrew Fans already know this but it seems the mainstream have caught on at last, heres the newspost from Gamespot:

GP32/2x Distribution Ltd has announced that the GP2X is now available in the UK. It is the successor to the GP32 handheld, which sold over 32,000 units. The console features a 240MHz processor, 64MB of RAM and 64MB of on-board NAND flash memory. It will retail for £124.99 in the UK.

The GP2X can run games, music and movies, read e-books and store photos. The distributors claim that the handheld offers "higher quality audio and video playback" than the Sony PSP and it can also be connected directly to a TV set.

There are over 500 games available for the console--most as free downloads through the official website and developers are encouraged to work with the open-source system. There are also 10 commercial games in development.

"We have been astonished by the kind messages and feedback from the early GP2X userbase. The speed at which games and software has been released is amazing. Now it is time that the UK public get to see what a powerful and flexible machine the GP2X is," explained Craig Rothwell, director of GP32/2x Distribution Ltd.

As most who visit DCEmu s Network of sites know, i have actively supported and spammed about the GP2X since before it was released in Korea last year, for homebrew fans like me its great to have consoles that embrace homebrew than try to wreck it for us, remember to visit our very own GP2X Emulation News Site where we have all the very latest news and downloads for the GP2X, back to normal service now

but what commercial games are there ?

theres no commercial games it's intended for emualators and ports plus it plays music and videos.

-!-
    /\

DCEmu Regular

Also it's a 200mhz arm processor not 240mhz. Where are they getting their facts? Most GP2x's can be over clocked passed 200mhz up to about 295mhz. Granted stuff gets unstable at that speed, and some people have reported that they can't even overclock past 235. I guess I'm one of the lucky one's. I'm glad the GP2X is getting more coverage. It will help with more interest from people in the system. Even coders that have never heard of it and want to get their hands on one.

Can it play starcraft? if not... i wont get it... heheh

good system but news is about 5 months too late lol

www.gpx2.co.uk

Ooh, does this mean it might actually be for sale in selected shops? I'd certianly consider buying one of these over a PSP for the homebrew/emulator posibilities =D

DCEmu Newbie

Does GP32/2x have better emulaters than PSP?

good FIRST question night wolf lol does it really have better emulators than the psp i havent looked into that just want to know like especially the popular ones like nintendo systems and what about the ps1 thing i heard about whats up with that..

Looks Tight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information