Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Help with new BBA adapter (cont. from Cluster)

DCEmu Pro

Default Re: Help with new BBA adapter (cont. from Cluster)

Actually wouldnt backups in the way you're suggesting it be alright to mention, as you arenot actually altering the software?

[quote author=Mental2k link=board=hardware;num=1101681619;start=30#40 date=01/07/05 at 13:15:26]Actually wouldnt backups in the way you're suggesting it be alright to mention, as you arenot actually altering the software?
    [/quote]
    I don't know. As far as I know it is (or rather, *should* be). But like I said, you still can't rip whole GD-ROM discs yet anyway. Tomorrow (or rather, about 8-10 hours from now as it's already Saturday) I'm going to pick up a CD-ROM drive I bought off eBay in December which *may* be able to read them fully.

So far I've tested about 15 CD/DVD-ROM drives with the "swap trick" process (as it's known) and found that almost all of them are incapable of getting (much) data off the high-density sector. I even tried a Yamaha CD-RW drive - that could not even read the table of contents (TOC) of the disc, let alone anything else.

Thing is, reportedly the Yamaha CRW-F1 can rip GD-ROMs, but I wasn't prepared to spend £30 on a new one on an eBay Shop last time I saw one.

Well after looking around quite a bit, I have found a retailer that sells the realtek 8139 nic and also an ethernet card that has the 8139C on it! Woot.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...mp;oi=froogler
    http://www.dealsonic.com/pan10mbpcine.html

I have not tried to buy anything yet but it allows quantities of 1 and at 5-8$ I think that'll work just fine to get us started.

Dream Coder

[quote author=Mental2k link=board=hardware;num=1101681619;start=30#40 date=01/07/05 at 13:15:26]Actually wouldnt backups in the way you're suggesting it be alright to mention, as you arenot actually altering the software?
    [/quote]

there is nothing wrong with that sort of ripping/backupping, but that is usually the line that people draw towards warez.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

DCEmu Coder

I think, I'd rather work on a generic G2-PCI adapter than using the realtek nic as it could be used for something else and the nic will stay hard to find in small quantities (or overpriced, I'd rather buy an ethernet card than a more expensive nic).
    If that works one could try to make another one, BBA compatible with the nic.

So are you saying you want to make a pci adapter that would work universally or try to use a pci ethernet card as a broadband connector. A pci adapter sounds like it would really fun to try but not sure how viable it is.

DCEmu Coder

A full featured PCI adapter may be hard to implement, but if it's possible, why not. At least one that'll work with ethernet cards to have some broadband thingy.

[quote author=Axlen link=board=hardware;num=1101681619;start=0#7 date=11/30/04 at 17:26:06]Sounds like an amibitious project *;D *Semicolo's DC modem disassembly tutorial and extender board is a great start though http://semicolo.free.fr/Dreamcast/. *Thanks for that semicolo![/quote]

Lil bit off topic:
    Is that IDE ?? What can you do through it?

DCEmu Coder

No, it's just a start to be able to connect homemade hardware to the dreamcast.

Ok, I found the NIC card i have, and this is the RealTek chip:

RTL8139D
    *27100S1
    234E Taiwan

Dunno if that helps or not.

Wait ust a dang second! The BBA Adapter is a RTL8139 !!

HA!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information